PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro & Grill Brush Question For A WGA

Giselle
03-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi, This is my first post. I'm new to the forum and new to grilling. I love to cook but I've only grilled steaks a couple of times on my parents tiny 50 year old hibachi. I've never grilled burgers not even hot dogs. I'm ready to learn. I want to work up to making real BBQ. I'm a PRO at ordering BBQ but I want to learn to make it... eventually. :biggrin1:

After seeing one in action at the beach, then reading this forum and surfing the web I decided the "Go Anywhere" would best fit my needs at this time so I bought one. It's small and portable and there are two of us most of the time, sometimes four. It's something to learn on.

After a friends remodel I was given a new, unused carbon steel wire "scratch" brush with a wood handle. Is thatok to use on the WGA cooking and coal grills? I looked through the forum and didn't see any posts that addressed my question. I wanted to ask before messing up my new toy.

Thanks for any and all help.

edit: Just saw the description under my name. Funny and accurate!

HankB
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Congrats on the WGA. I never bother to brush the coal grate - just knock the ashes off it. That brush will probably be fine for the cooking grate.

I have no direct experience with the WGA but I know there are others here who make very good use of it.

Welcome to the site.

Hoss
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Welcome.The coolest thing about this place is variety of cookers /techniques used.That is NOT gunk on the grates,it is seasoning.Fire that puppy up,the heat will kill anything unuseful/unhealthy. Post some cookin pron.Search PHUBAR for posts for WGA .In my opinion,he is the MASTER of those tiny,marshmallow roasters! :grin:

mbshop
03-10-2013, 12:17 AM
i now use a stainless steel painter brush for most of my grates including the cast iron ones. i gave up on everything else.
but as to the ga, i just use ss scrubber that looks like steel wool. i clean my grate after every use as its really easy and i find a clean grate to cook better. after cleaning and its dry i just spray it with pam. if you cook on the grate everyday then i would clean it every few days. and yes, go through all of phubars posts for some great inspirations. keep us posted on your adventures as we love to see some one evolve.

Rookie'48
03-10-2013, 12:17 AM
I carry a charcoal powered WGA in my travel trailer - just in case :mrgreen:.

Phubar
03-10-2013, 11:19 AM
LOL Rookie!

I've always have used brass brushes...or aluminium Phoil if I didn't had a brush.

code3rrt
03-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Welcome to the forum! Your brush will work just fine, or as was stated above. And yes, Phubar does absolutely incredible cooks on his little cooker, check out his threads, you will learn a lot in a hurry.

Again, welcome aboard!

KC

Bludawg
03-10-2013, 12:16 PM
LESSON # 1
I find a ball of foil held with a pair of tongs is very effective at cleaning a Hot grate and you don't have the worry or liability if you kill or injure someone from ingesting a piece of wire that came loose and stuck to the grill.
LESSON # 2
Never use Matchlight or Briquettes or lighter fluid of any kind. Buy a Charcoal chimney and some Lump Charcoal. A few sheets of News paper sprayed with PAM crumpled up stuffed under the bottom of the chimney are a excellent fire starter.

cowgirl
03-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Already some great advice... just wanted to say Welcome to the forum!! :grin:

dadsr4
03-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Welcome.
Just to cover all bases, be careful no loose bristles get into food. Abdominal surgery to remove them is bad. So long as you brush grates off the grill away from food or where scavenging animals could ingest them, you are fine.

Giselle
03-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Reading Phubar's posts, and seeing what everyone has to say about the WGA on this forum is what really sold me. Your posts showed me what is possible on this grill.... man it looked so good and yummy. My sister in law grills a lot but I don't get to see her often enough to learn so I'll be doing a lot of my learning with The Brethren.

This weekend I bought a chimney starter, some paraffin starter cubes, and some mesquite lump charcoal. The PAM idea sounds like a good one. Next weekend I'm going to try burgers, corn and then try grilling some pineapple to serve with ice cream for dessert. Wish me luck.

bobaftt
03-12-2013, 09:12 AM
WELCOME! remember we like pictures! Nothing quite like food pron :)

JandJbuidasmoker
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Glad to see a newer member than me! This site forum is great! These guys know what they are talking about, and never sugar coat anything when telling you, you could possibly mess something up. They are nice, never rude, and a huge help! You will definitely make friends on here, and will find all the answers to any question!

Good luck, and take pics!

P.S. This is an addiction, you might want to start looking for support groups in your area now! lol

Phubar
03-12-2013, 10:21 AM
If you can Phind cheap pressed carton starter cubes use those instead...less stinky for you and your neighbours.