PDA

View Full Version : Can leaky smoker sometimes be good?

pull_my_butt
02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
I purchased my first Weber grill a few days ago and I'm loving it. I can't believe I even purchased anything else before the Weber. Heat retention is excellent.

This leads to my question because I was grilling some chicken wings and thighs and no way was the meat cooked as long as ribs, butts, etc. However, because the grill was pretty much leak free, just the brief period I put the chicken on the grill gave it a strong smoky aroma already. I was just imagining, what if I were to smoke something for 8 hours on this thing. The smoke flavor would be way too much to handle.

I guess the downfall of the leaky smoker would be that since it leaks out so much heat, you end up using more fuel. However, with the smokers that are leak free, would all that smoke build up with no where to escape but the smoke stack be too much?

Let's hear your thoughts?

CarolinaQue
02-25-2013, 11:48 AM
How much wood did you use? Chunks...what size? Chips...how many and how often? Soaked or not?

Regarding a leaky smoker...my big smoker leaks a bit, and I don't find it to be a bad thing.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-25-2013, 11:50 AM
I can't think of a single reason anyone would want a smoker to leak on purpose.

whiteboycustom
02-25-2013, 11:52 AM
meats will only take in so much smoke

pull_my_butt
02-25-2013, 11:52 AM
I used the lump wood charcoal. No briquettes for me. No additional wood chips or chunks were added. It was just the smoky flavor from the oak lump charcoal. I did put the lid on the chicken from time to time.

cholloway
02-25-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm with CarolinaQue on this. It leaks a bit... so what.
All of mine leak some smoke around doors etc. Even the Weber kettles.
If your burn is clean enough, you should barely be able to see any leaks.

Callahan-que
02-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Chicken soaks up smoke flavor like a sponge.

HankB
02-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Did you control temperature with the top or bottom vents? I have heard that closing down on the top vents to control temperature can do nasty things with the smoke.

Otherwise I'm at a loss. I smoke stuff for a long time on my WSM and use chunks of smoking wood and never felt that I had too much smoke flavor. Of course my 'not too much' may be your 'way too much.'

CarolinaQue
02-25-2013, 12:08 PM
DId you have a clean burning fire before you put the meat on? In other words, was it up to temp and putting out thin blue?

Regarding meat only soaking up so much smoke, that is true. But the smoke from a smoldering fire is very different than one from a clean burning fire. A smoldering fire can put off bitter, white smoke that will leave creasote residue on the meat and give it a very heavy smoke flavor.

Carbon
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I don't want it leaking to a point where I can't snuff out the coals at the end of a cook.

TIMMAY
02-25-2013, 12:14 PM
I agree that chicken can get too smoky faster than some other meats... Assuming you are getting thin blue smoke, have the top vent wide open, and regulate your heat with the bottom vent, just use less wood. When I cook any sort of chicken, I use one, maybe two chunks of wood at the start of the cook. When those are gone, that's it no more wood. Charcoal only till the meat is cooked through. And if one chunk at the beginning is too much for you, then make that one chunk smaller!

pull_my_butt
02-25-2013, 12:23 PM
I did have the top vent opened all the way and for most of the cook, the bottom vents were all the way opened too. I did have a hot fire and all the charcoal did ash over before I cooked.

Smoothsmoke
02-25-2013, 12:36 PM
I can't think of a single reason anyone would want a smoker to leak on purpose.

Me neither.

CarolinaQue
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
I did have the top vent opened all the way and for most of the cook, the bottom vents were all the way opened too. I did have a hot fire and all the charcoal did ash over before I cooked.

What charcoal are you using?

DownHomeQue
02-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Leaky smokers aren't necessarily a good thing.. but they can be worked with if.. the operater knows there pit.. my large offset leaks some.. because i have no gasket.. i have cooked in 20 degree weather on her and ran temps up and above 300 no problem.. and held it there..

caseydog
02-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Chicken soaks up smoke flavor like a sponge.

I agree. Chicken soaks up smoke faster than other meats.

As for heat/smoke control, keep the top vent open, and use the bottom vents to control air intake. At times, your bottom vents may be open a quarter inch, with the kettle at 350 degrees.

CD

caseydog
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Leaky smokers aren't necessarily a good thing.. but they can be worked with if.. the operater knows there pit.. my large offset leaks some.. because i have no gasket.. i have cooked in 20 degree weather on her and ran temps up and above 300 no problem.. and held it there..

It also depends on where the leaks are. I had one bent intake vent on my WSM, while using an iQue 110 on another intake vent. That bent vent allowed enough air to be sucked in by convection to run my temps up too high. I patched the leak, and everything worked fine, again.

Now, my WSM does leak a little smoke through the coal door and around the lid, but heat and smoke are getting OUT, instead of cool air coming in to feed the fire. Those leaks don't seem to matter.

CD

landarc
02-25-2013, 03:21 PM
I smoke rather often on a Weber 22" kettle, and I believe that you need only a little bit of wood, and can even get away with just lump and get a good subtle smoke on most meats. I tend not to smoke chicken, preferring to grill it or do high heat roasts.

As to leaking, I have seen some good cooks work with leaky smokers and get excellent product, but, it is harder to do. A smoker with little to no leaking is easier to control over the long run.

And welcome to the Weber Crew and smoking in general.

whiteboycustom
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
i tested my cabinet smoker using a cigar and blowing the smoke around the intakes and doors to see if i had airleaks

had a few spots on the door so i put more insulation so now its a double insulation and air tight........if the intakes and exhaust are closed off i cant shut the door good from the pressure, if i put a rag on the exhaust it will blow it off when i shut the door

pull_my_butt
02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
I used Royal Oak charcoal.

popeye
02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
come on my smoker leaks .. they are called vents

Neonnblack
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Mine leaks a bit, but nothing i cannot work with.

Midnight Smoke
02-27-2013, 09:36 PM
meats will only take in so much smoke

before they become garbage.

I know it's an old thread, couldn't help myself.