PDA

View Full Version : Rec Tec

Smokin Patriots
02-20-2013, 07:34 PM
I just added a REC TEC to my fleet, and I am loving it!

Are there any others here that have a REC TEC?

On a side note their customer service is outstanding!

rondini
02-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Guess not here because I don't know what it is.

KotaChuk678
02-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Guess not here because I don't know what it is.

Me neither, but interested :oops:

Ron_L
02-20-2013, 09:57 PM
http://www.rectecgrills.com/

Full Draw BBQ
02-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Well, you got my attention. I've spent 10 minutes looking at their site. I would be very interested in hearing from people who use it as a patio cooker. I have a gasser, but would love to add something like this for evening meals for the family.

Offthehook
02-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Looks pretty reasonable

nucornhusker
02-20-2013, 11:32 PM
I've liked them for a little while, they look like a nice pellet grill. I'd like to see one in person sometime.

Smokin Patriots
02-21-2013, 05:20 PM
My Rec Tec....

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/ljmccarthyii/2013-02-21_17-18-37_759_zps3f81f33e.jpg

Smokin Patriots
02-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Lots of Grill space....

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/ljmccarthyii/2013-02-21_17-18-48_909_zpsef9dbeb6.jpg

Smokin Patriots
02-21-2013, 05:22 PM
and a 40lb hopper!!

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/ljmccarthyii/2013-02-21_17-23-02_337_zpsc446b589.jpg

PrinceofQ
02-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Wow that looks nice! Thanks for sharing pics of yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wct
02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
I have a Rec-Tec and love it. It is by far my go to cooker! The Rec-Tec is a complete joy to cook on. Smokin Patriots you are going to love that grill. Here is my last Brisket I did on mine for Valentines day.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/[IMG]http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w395/wctaxidermy/briskwr212001_zpse3550fd6.jpg

captndan
02-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Is that like a proctologist?

wct
02-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Ouch!

Smokin Patriots
02-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Made me chuckle...:clap:

Baby Back Maniac
02-22-2013, 09:23 PM
My Rec Tec....

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa348/ljmccarthyii/2013-02-21_17-18-37_759_zps3f81f33e.jpg

These pictures are so awesome. I got a Daniel Boone because of the remote, price, and my wife liked the more traditional look of the Green Mountain. I'm really happy with it and think it was the right choice for us, but I just love the Rec Tec's and I'll probably buy one at some point.

jmoney7269
02-22-2013, 11:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken, rec Tec has the best warranty in the pellet grill business. I know a while back, I saw it advertised at 6 years. I know the same people that make the algorithm controller for that pit make the ITC for the Memphis pellet grills which have awesome temp control. Have not heard one single bad complaint on pelletheads. The owner is a swell guy and have had many conversations with him. I know there was a pellethead that was gonna buy 2 rec fec's for comp cooking but they were a little backed up on orders or some rigamarole and don the owner actually borrowed the pellethead his own comp trailer to decide. I have never heard of anyone doing something like this. The guy ended up with alot of walks and 2 brand new rec tecs after that.

buccaneer
02-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Fine looking tucker!!
Yum!

Smokin Patriots
02-23-2013, 11:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken, rec Tec has the best warranty in the pellet grill business. I know a while back, I saw it advertised at 6 years. I know the same people that make the algorithm controller for that pit make the ITC for the Memphis pellet grills which have awesome temp control. Have not heard one single bad complaint on pelletheads. The owner is a swell guy and have had many conversations with him. I know there was a pellethead that was gonna buy 2 rec fec's for comp cooking but they were a little backed up on orders or some rigamarole and don the owner actually borrowed the pellethead his own comp trailer to decide. I have never heard of anyone doing something like this. The guy ended up with alot of walks and 2 brand new rec tecs after that.

You are right...

The warranty is great, and their customer service is phenomenal!!

Strike BBQ
02-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Well this thread and others led me to buy a Rec Tec last week. I got it together and burned in. I think of how many smokers I have gone through to reach this level. Between my old Bubba Keg and this Rec Tec, I should be able to put out a lot of Q. I burned it in and cooked some Amish country sausage - it was too easy. The sausage had a perfect smoke ring! I now need to get the grill mats and have ManGrates on order. I think my Bubba will get very little use now I got the Rec Tec.

Ivanitor
02-13-2014, 07:46 PM
I love my RecTec! It's awesome and smokes food really well. Good choice to make! You can also add a front shelf by Traeger. I did and it worked great!

Big Bears BBQ
02-13-2014, 07:57 PM
I got my Rec Tec in Oct. and I really like it. For me this grill smoker is just perfect I wouldn't mind having another one ......

Dweverett
02-13-2014, 09:07 PM
I love mine. Heavy duty with a great controller. It's unreal how steady it is. While I'd love to learn to use an offset, I know that I really don't have the time to monitor the temp and therefore wouldn't use it that often. This thing doesn't vary more than a few degrees over a 12 hour cook. I got it for fathers day last year and we used it nearly every weekend during the summer. Brisket, pulled pork, chicken, turkey and ham all came out fantastic. The rec tec is nearly idiot proof.

Speaking of idiots.... Their service is outstanding. I somehow managed to not notice I didn't get all the packing material off before I did the burn in. Not real good for the paint job. I called to see if I could buy some touch up paint. The owner called me back and they shipped me a replacement lid -- his take was that they should have done a better job with the instructions if I could make the mistake. Not an insignificant hunk of metal. While the basic design is very similar to the Traeger Texas, the metal is probably at least twice as heavy gauge. The shipping alone had to put a nice dent in their profit. And the reality is that it was completely my fault. These weren't hidden pieces. They were black rubber bumpers on the red lid. No one should be that color blind.

I'd absolutely recommend anyone considering this size/type of pellet grill to look at what they are offering.
Bill

Ivanitor
02-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Their service is outstanding.
Absolutely agree with you on this. I bought mine used and while transporting it home in a snowstorm, it tipped and the light cover got damaged. I contacted them by email and 10 minutes later I had someone call me and conform my address. 1.5 week later I had a new light cover. They make an awesome smoker and they have awesome customer service!

Strike BBQ
02-14-2014, 10:40 AM
I purchased a RT this week, I can't wait to try my recipes on it. I just got to dig it out.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll144/Strike_Z/2014-02-13074542.jpg

Dweverett
02-14-2014, 11:13 AM
I wish I only had that much snow to dig through to get to mine. It's drifted a little but it's just about up to the bottom of the lid.

Full Draw BBQ
02-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Speaking of idiots.... Their service is outstanding. I somehow managed to not notice I didn't get all the packing material off before I did the burn in. Not real good for the paint job. I called to see if I could buy some touch up paint. The owner called me back and they shipped me a replacement lid -- his take was that they should have done a better job with the instructions if I could make the mistake. Not an insignificant hunk of metal. While the basic design is very similar to the Traeger Texas, the metal is probably at least twice as heavy gauge. The shipping alone had to put a nice dent in their profit. And the reality is that it was completely my fault. These weren't hidden pieces. They were black rubber bumpers on the red lid. No one should be that color blind.

I'd absolutely recommend anyone considering this size/type of pellet grill to look at what they are offering.
Bill

I'm so glad someone else did this. I left the same exact little black bumpers on during my burn in, and they melted to the lid. I cleaned them off best I could but you can still see the "shadow" of where they were! haha

On a different note, for things like brisket, are y'all doing the 350 degree quick brisket on the RT website, or low and slow 225 or so like a normal stick burner?

Strike BBQ
02-14-2014, 01:58 PM
With my order I got the bronze pang and 120 of all perfect blend pellets (maple, hickory, cherry, apple). I also got the cover, but failed to put it on before the storm.

Flyin Pig
02-14-2014, 02:12 PM
I got mine this fall and love it. It is built like a tank and easy to use. The large hopper is a definite bonus for those long cooks. I just did two butts for the Super Bowl. Set the temp and kept an eye on it, except for when I went to bed. :) 15.5 hours later perfect results.

Ivanitor
02-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Strike, are you in Florida? If you got that much snow that sucks!

Strike BBQ
02-14-2014, 03:25 PM
No I moved from FL to MD. I guess I need to update my profile!

Dweverett
02-14-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm so glad someone else did this. I left the same exact little black bumpers on during my burn in, and they melted to the lid. I cleaned them off best I could but you can still see the "shadow" of where they were! haha

On a different note, for things like brisket, are y'all doing the 350 degree quick brisket on the RT website, or low and slow 225 or so like a normal stick burner?

I've done them at 225. I've only done one full packer so time wasn't a big issue. On the packer I started it with a couple Boston butts about midnight and went to bed. Temp was cruising along perfectly when I woke up

Strike BBQ
02-16-2014, 11:55 AM
My 1st batch of ribs were under. I did BB 2-1-1 at 250. Maybe it was the cold windy day. My guess when I wrapped and unwrapped the ribs cooled and it messed up the timing.

Sallenthornton
03-06-2014, 09:45 PM
I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but I was curious about shipping... has anyone had their grill shipped direct from the company? I was quoted 199.00 to Alaska when I was going thru the process of purchasing, but then I read on the website that the shipping price during checkout was actually a shipping quote, not the price of shipping. Thoughts?

I have emailed the company and haven't heard anything; maybe they don't think I am serious. LOL

Dweverett
03-07-2014, 06:10 AM
I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but I was curious about shipping... has anyone had their grill shipped direct from the company? I was quoted 199.00 to Alaska when I was going thru the process of purchasing, but then I read on the website that the shipping price during checkout was actually a shipping quote, not the price of shipping. Thoughts?

I have emailed the company and haven't heard anything; maybe they don't think I am serious. LOL

As far as I know, they only sell/ship direct from the factory. You can purchase it through Amazon marketplace but it's still direct from RecTec.

I believe that the $199 is a flat rate for anywhere in the lower 48 but that they charge actual shipping for Alaska and Hawaii.

The website doesn't appear to be sophisticated enough to give an estimate for those two states. They are usually extremely responsive -- I'd call them if you still haven't heard back on the email