PDA

View Full Version : New Char-Griller Pellet Grill

PrinceofQ
02-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Has anyone seen this new Char-Griller Pellet Grill at Lowe's yet? My dad called me a little bit ago about it and I had him text me some pics to share with you guys. Sorry they're not the best pics. ;) Here's the link to it on Lowe's website: http://www.lowes.com/pd_411019-49769-9020_0__?Ntt=411019&UserSearch=411019&productId=4437209&rpp=32

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bludawg
02-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Arrrgh!!! Say it aint so.

PrinceofQ
02-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Arrrgh!!! Say it aint so.

I said the same thing to my dad lol :becky: I will have to say I wasn't sure how good the Char-Griller Akorn would be when it first came out, but I really love mine! Guess we will have to see what people think of this one once someone picks one up. :)

Gore
02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
That's a lot of money for a disposable grill -- sorry, but any char-griller I've ever owned was built with parts that lasted about 2-3 years that were never again available because they changed their models so often. Otherwise, it looks very interesting. I believe a Traeger at the Costco roadshow is only about $100 more and I'd be much more inclined to go with that. Very interesting though and thanks for the post -- wonder what these will cost at the end of the season.

spider22
02-20-2013, 03:34 PM
When I clicked onto the link it did not come up with a price.

Gore
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
When I clicked onto the link it did not come up with a price.

It's $499 in the bottom picture.

PrinceofQ
02-20-2013, 04:44 PM
That's a lot of money for a disposable grill -- sorry, but any char-griller I've ever owned was built with parts that lasted about 2-3 years that were never again available because they changed their models so often. Otherwise, it looks very interesting. I believe a Traeger at the Costco roadshow is only about $100 more and I'd be much more inclined to go with that. Very interesting though and thanks for the post -- wonder what these will cost at the end of the season.

No problem! I didn't think I had seen a post on here about it yet and when my dad called today I figured I would have him send some pics to share on here.

I may try and see if I can get one for review. :)

Woody1911a1
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
you know why that's cool ? because they're going mainstream and lowes will HAVE TO sell cooking pellets at a reasonable price . not $1/lb !

Ijustwantedtolookatpics
02-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Interesting...I'll be watching this

HuskerMan
02-20-2013, 05:43 PM
you know why that's cool ? because they're going mainstream and lowes will HAVE TO sell cooking pellets at a reasonable price . not $1/lb !

Looks like they are already selling pellets. Char-griller branded pellets at $10 for 20lb bag.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_269625-1646-9620_0__?productId=4222471&Ntt=pellets

shucker
02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
I would buy one of these if my local lowes had them in stock.

jmoney7269
02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
I would buy one of these if my local lowes had them in stock.

Spend a extra $200 and get a GMG Daniel Boone. Really nice controller and 150-500 degree temps. If I were to buy a pellet grill specifically for low and slow, that would be it. Nicely priced, excellent customer service and will last 10 times as long as that throw away grill. I have seen some at academy. Very low quality, horrible fit and finish compared to a GMG.

HuskerMan
02-20-2013, 06:18 PM
+1 on the GMG. I have the Jim Bowie model and would buy a GMG over a char-griller any day.

charrederhead
02-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Looks cheesy to me.

shucker
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Spend a extra $200 and get a GMG Daniel Boone. Really nice controller and 150-500 degree temps. If I were to buy a pellet grill specifically for low and slow, that would be it. Nicely priced, excellent customer service and will last 10 times as long as that throw away grill. I have seen some at academy. Very low quality, horrible fit and finish compared to a GMG.

Everyone bashed the akorns when they first came out. "Spend the extra $ and buy a green egg". By all accounts, the akorns are more than acceptable for their price point. This may be the same. $200 more is alomst 50% more.

ButchB
02-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Looks really similar to those outdoor gourmet grills, and the cheaper model traegers. You can always find plenty of them on craigslist for $150-$250.

chriscw81
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
chargriller coming out with a pellet grill isn't much of a surprise to me. that may be because i have an akorn, which i like, for the money. that being said, i'm not a pellet pooper guy.

Cabin Fever
02-20-2013, 11:11 PM
I was FINALLY able to get my hands on some meat that was smoked on a pellet pooper a few weeks ago and all I can say is that I'm glad I never went the pellet head route. It was some pulled pork and the guy said he used 100% hickory pellets and cooked the butt on "smoke mode" during the entire 14 hour cook without foiling. I'm not entirely clear on what exactly smoke mode means, but the smoke flavor was a .5 on a scale of 1-10 and believe me that's being generous. To each their own though. Some folks swear by pellet poopers so they must be doing something right.

jmoney7269
02-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Everyone bashed the akorns when they first came out. "Spend the extra $ and buy a green egg". By all accounts, the akorns are more than acceptable for their price point. This may be the same. $200 more is alomst 50% more.
But this discussion is not asking about acorns. It's asking about a char griller pellet grill. Who's fit and finish are horrible and it has 50+\- temp swings Becaise of it. I been a pellethead for about 6 years. I have cooked on every single pellet grill imaginable. You can either take my Word or not, won't make me one bit of differEnce. I have developed PID controllers and released the plans to the world on pelletheads. IMO you comparing a chargriller pellet grill to a gmg is like me comparing my Pitmaker vault to a vertical brinkman. It's just not in the same league. If you wanna compare the acorn to a primo xl it narrows the gap a little but still not in the same league. I could compare the fit and finish of a backwoods to a comp ready Pitmaker BBQ vault while they might cook close to the same food with water, try to run that backwoods on Lump and a Pitmaker vault without water, the results again will be totally different. There is no wrong choice in this situation, but it yOu can afford $500 for a shotty pellet grill, you can afford $200 for a great pellet grill that will more than outlast the shotty one by double. Now where is the value at?

I was FINALLY able to get my hands on some meat that was smoked on a pellet pooper a few weeks ago and all I can say is that I'm glad I never went the pellet head route. It was some pulled pork and the guy said he used 100% hickory pellets and cooked the butt on "smoke mode" during the entire 14 hour cook without foiling. I'm not entirely clear on what exactly smoke mode means, but the smoke flavor was a .5 on a scale of 1-10 and believe me that's being generous. To each their own though. Some folks swear by pellet poopers so they must be doing something right.

I have many 1st place rib trophies from my traeger. The best being 1st of 108 entries. I guess that's why Todd johns of plowboys is so famous, Because he close to swept the invitational on 2 mirror image fec 100's. And people think that Pellet grills can't cook, lol. There is undeniable proof that pellet grills win alot more than people think. I know that on pelletheads, some of the top 10 ribs intue jack and invitational we're cooked on pellet poopers. Actually there is a thread goin on right now abot fec vs backwoods where the competition guy liked the fec pulled pork better.
In this case sir, that particular pellethead didnt know what he was doin. Anyone that has ever eaten my pellet pooper food has said it was the best ever. Got lots of trophies to go along with that claim, in Tx of all places.

DubfromGA
02-21-2013, 05:46 AM

I went....on three different occasions, to the grill store to buy a BGE. I chickened out each time because I was scared to plunk down that much dinero on a kamado. I'd had limited experience with such.

I was willing to spend the $299 on the Akorn with no fear.

Almost a year later I can say that it was the best grilling money I've ever spent.

I now have full confidence in knowing that all my grilling-smoking-searing can be done with a kamado.

I wish Char-Griller would upgrade their web page to include more Akorn related items.

shucker
02-21-2013, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=jmoney7269;2376717]But this discussion is not asking about acorns. It's asking about a char griller pellet grill. Who's fit and finish are horrible and it has 50+\- temp swings ............... IMO you comparing a chargriller pellet grill to a gmg is like me comparing my Pitmaker vault to a vertical brinkman. It's just not in the same league. QUOTE]

jomeny, I dont question your expertise on pellet grills by any means. You are the one who brought gmg into the discussion. You are correct - this thread is about a chargriller pellet grill. I simply stated that I would buy one. You compared it to gmg by saying its better to spend more $$$.

That may be the case, but there are tons of people like DubfromGA who simply aren't comfortable spending extra money on a product when they may be perfectly happy with a lower priced option.

I own 2 bge's, and I have cooked on an akorn. I dont think they are in the same league, but is an akorn a good product for the price? sure it is. I dont think people who buy an akorn actually expect that they are getting the same product as a bge. Just like people who buy this pellet grill wont expect the same product as a gmg.

Chargriller has obviously done a decent job of making high-end type products available for consumers who arent willing to drop serious money. Lets take this product for what it is, a step below gmg, rectec, trager, etc. and give it an honest evaluation.

jmoney7269
02-21-2013, 08:04 AM
There is only one way to rationally look at this IMO. Value. Which one is a better value. Bad fit and finish will cause excessive pellet usage, worse temp swings and the grill body will likely warp during any high heat usage. Let's just say someone buys this $500 grill and in 2-3 years, gotta buy another one Becaise this one has failed, where the Gmg that is for sure gonna last 2-3 times as long, now which is a better value? If people are just not comfortable with the extra $200 that's their decision to make and in the end it must be respected.

Cabin Fever
02-21-2013, 10:28 AM
I have many 1st place rib trophies from my traeger. The best being 1st of 108 entries. I guess that's why Todd johns of plowboys is so famous, Because he close to swept the invitational on 2 mirror image fec 100's. And people think that Pellet grills can't cook, lol. There is undeniable proof that pellet grills win alot more than people think. I know that on pelletheads, some of the top 10 ribs intue jack and invitational we're cooked on pellet poopers. Actually there is a thread goin on right now abot fec vs backwoods where the competition guy liked the fec pulled pork better.
In this case sir, that particular pellethead didnt know what he was doin. Anyone that has ever eaten my pellet pooper food has said it was the best ever. Got lots of trophies to go along with that claim, in Tx of all places.

Let's take a step back for a second. No one here said that pellet grills can't cook or that pellet grill owners don't know what they're doing. My opinion is that food cooked on pellet poopers just isn't smoky enough. I even see owners of $3,000+ pellet poopers on other bbq forums asking for tips on how to get more smoke flavor into their meat. I couldn't care less about what competition judges or cooks look for in their bbq. This isn't about who's smoker is better. It's just a matter of opinion. Hell, all bbq is good bbq as far as I'm concerned.

jmoney7269
02-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Oh any BBQ is good, well almost... Not the kind you belch all day and a little tue next. I prefer food cooked on my traeger over any other pit I have. It's fast easy and has the desired amount of smokiness I need. Never said that all pellet pooper owners don't know what their doin, just that one. I do have a smoke daddy cold smoke attachment on mine if I want a Lil extra UMPH.
But there is a general consensus that they don't make food smoky enough it seems.

Cabin Fever
02-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Not too long ago I watched a youtube video on a generic pellet grill that uses a Traeger style thermostat and I asked the poster what he thought of the smoke flavor. He responded by saying that he thought it was perfect for smaller meats that can't handle a ton of smoke such as ribs and chicken, but that he preferred his WSM for butts and briskets. To be honest though jmoney, I wouldn't mind picking up a smaller pellet unit such as the Traeger Jr even if it was for just smoking jerky or sausage and of course the price was right. :wink:

Baby Back Maniac
02-22-2013, 09:17 PM
I own 2 bge's, and I have cooked on an akorn. I dont think they are in the same league, but is an akorn a good product for the price? sure it is. I dont think people who buy an akorn actually expect that they are getting the same product as a bge. Just like people who buy this pellet grill wont expect the same product as a gmg.

Ironically, I feel just the opposite. I used to own 2 big green eggs and I sold them and bought an Akorn. I don't feel like the eggs are in a different league at all. I think they are just heavier and that subconsciously conveys a feeling a quality that somehow makes people forget they are extremely fragile, difficult to clean out ash, hard to move, inefficient with charcoal (compared to Akorn), get hot as heck on the outside (compared to Akorn), the top vent rusts, the top vent adjusts when you lift the lid, the top vent falls off completely if you left the lid to fast, the gasket burns off on like the first 5 cooks, the charcoal grate clogs on long cooks, the firebox cracks, the bolts loosen on the hinge over time, that crazing may be "normal" but it still looks bad, that side shelves should not be a 100 dollar option, etc.

Big green eggs hold better low temps, have WAY better name brand recognition and resale value, and have a lifetime warranty if the ceramics happens to crack for no apparent reason (that's all that covered on that warranty, by the way, just when stuff cracks for no reason.) They are also a lot of fun to cook on but they are NOT in a completely different class than the Akorn. They just cost a lot more.

I feel like egg owners tend to be extremely biased towards their cookers and it blinds them from the shortcomings. They aren't bad grills but they are definitely no more special than the Akorn.

jmoney7269
02-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Its not the arrow, it's the Indian!

Baby Back Maniac
02-22-2013, 10:28 PM
I totally agree...its just that some indians end up overpaying for arrows.

shucker
02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
hogsfan - dont want to get this thread off track on yet another akorn vs egg argument. This thread is about a chargriller pellet grill. You make some very valid points and I acknowledge that the akorn is a great value. However, to say that it is in the same league as any of the high-end kamados is absurd. If you care to debate, I guess we can start another thread.

Baby Back Maniac
02-23-2013, 04:23 PM
hogsfan - dont want to get this thread off track on yet another akorn vs egg argument. This thread is about a chargriller pellet grill. You make some very valid points and I acknowledge that the akorn is a great value. However, to say that it is in the same league as any of the high-end kamados is absurd. If you care to debate, I guess we can start another thread.

First off off, you can disagree with me, but don't call my comments absurd. I've owned both grills, remember? I speak from experience just as you do. You can disagree but no name calling, please.

Also, don't put words in my mouth. I am also not comparing it to "any high end kamado"...I'm specifically talking about BGE. and I'm not even debating "Egg vs Akorn." I didn't say the Akorn was better. I just don't agree with your throw away implication that the BGE is so much better. In my experience they are clearly in the same league...even the same ball park.

Now the komodo kamado...THAT thing is definitely in another league. lol.

Ijustwantedtolookatpics
02-23-2013, 04:26 PM
:pop2:

shucker
02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
First off off, you can disagree with me, but don't call my comments absurd. I've owned both grills, remember? I speak from experience just as you do. You can disagree but no name calling, please.

Also, don't put words in my mouth. I am also not comparing it to "any high end kamado"...I'm specifically talking about BGE. and I'm not even debating "Egg vs Akorn." I didn't say the Akorn was better. I just don't agree with your throw away implication that the BGE is so much better. In my experience they are clearly in the same league...even the same ball park.

Now the komodo kamado...THAT thing is definitely in another league. lol.

Duly noted. It was not my intention to call names or put words in your mouth. If I came across the wrong way, I apologize.

Enough of this discussion, I have to go get my neighbors to help me move my big, heavy, fragile egg so I don't break it. :mrgreen:

You guys carry on talkng about this pellet grill!

Baby Back Maniac
02-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Duly noted. It was not my intention to call names or put words in your mouth. If I came across the wrong way, I apologize.

Enough of this discussion, I have to go get my neighbors to help me move my big, heavy, fragile egg so I don't break it. :mrgreen:

You guys carry on talkng about this pellet grill!

No worries. Im sure it will be fine. Just remember to pull not push...or perhaps the other way...I can never remember. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

LTG
02-24-2013, 01:40 AM
LOL a glorified oven is a still a glorified oven. My akorn is a damn fine cooker, I don't care what color it is or what logo is on the front of it.

PS I'm fully aware what contests have been won them bla bla.