PDA

View Full Version : Food Grade "high heat Gasket material"

Boudreaux
02-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Has anyone ever used a "food grade" high heat gasket material to air proof their cooker or smoker for more control.....???

Do they even make "food grade" high heat gasket material available to the public....???

Where would I find this product....???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

silverfinger
02-16-2013, 12:37 AM
He'll
I've used cereal boxes for gaskets on m/c engines and worked just as good as any manafactured gasket ever made.
Youse your imagination. If a cereal box can stand that type of heat, might want to try it on a smoker. Just saying!!

AustinKnight
02-16-2013, 12:40 AM
A good few hundred beef,chicks and pork cooks works well, there is no food grade gasket per se but the Oven Rope Gasket or theNomex High Heat Gasket work well. What are you wanting to do with it on a cooker, fire box, door ?

PaPaQ
02-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Permatex 81160 in the red tube is NSF rated.

HankB
02-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Permatex 81160 in the red tube is NSF rated.

I'm pretty sure that's what I used to tighten up the joints on my two regular WSMs.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oRsW-v4CVq4/UN55FAE6UKI/AAAAAAAANys/vXHem2pvKU0/s800/DSC_1315-PP.JPG

I did the bottom joint on my 18.5 and it seemed to help with temperature control. When I got the 22.5 I wound up doing both because the stuff in the tube was starting to get stiff and I didn't think it would last much longer anyway. I just applied it to the groove on either joint.