PDA

View Full Version : Buying Kingsford today

wsm
01-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Went to Sam's in St Louis - $11 or $12 for 42# of the new two groove - Yucka-Boo

Lowes accross the street - $6.77 for 20# of the good stuff

Home Depot down the street - $7.98 for 2 x 20# of K - I only bought 80# - I'm just not a serious cooker

spicewine
01-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Just cooked with the new chit last weekend. Didn't notice much difference except for the fact that it burns alot faster than the old stuff, doesn't light any quicker, still gives off the black smoke when you first light it. Had to use an extra 1/2 chimney to set the bark. Not a big fan, but what are the options??? Lump??? No way--- Too hot--Too Fast for my smokers.

jminion
01-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Spice
You may want to try DuraFlame briquets, using them I have found heat and time is like the old Kingsford and much less ash.
DuraFlame does sponsor cooking teams with Charcoal, with your pits I would think you would be a natural for the program. I have all the contact info, would be happy to recommend you to them.

Sawdustguy
01-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the tip Jim. I think I will try duraflame myself. I use charcoal to heat up the stick burner before throwing in precious wood.

Jersey BBQ
01-20-2006, 07:36 PM
WOW... just picked up two 24# bags of Kingsford at Home Depot for $7.98

Wish I could find Royal Oak Lump so cheap..... :cool:

ThomEmery
01-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Got some Royal Oak Lump To try out my new BDS coming in this week
Couldnt find old Kingsford

Smoker
01-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Got some Royal Oak Lump To try out my new BDS coming in this week
Couldnt find old Kingsford

Someone did email Kingsford and they said they were still going to sell the old stuff. Me thinks they are full of cr@p. Screw the consumer!!!!!

MrSmoker
01-21-2006, 09:12 AM
They still have the old stuff at my HD here.

Smoker
01-21-2006, 10:05 AM

We'll just have to wait and see what is sent to all the stores come this spring up here in the North East. Fortunately for me I have about 350 LBS of the old stuff.

Jersey BBQ
01-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Kingsford "old" ~ "new".. Huh? what did I miss? :confused:

Kevin
01-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Kingsford "old" ~ "new".. Huh? what did I miss? :confused:

Here's a discusion on the "new" K.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15070&highlight=kingsford

Jeff_in_KC
01-21-2006, 03:44 PM
No lump in your cookers, huh Jay? Whew! Glad I saw that post before I wernt out and bought a chit load of it!

Have any of you MOFOs seen Duraflame briquets around the state? I can't recall seeing them anywhere and I'd be interested in trying them on Jim's advice.

Bill-Chicago
01-21-2006, 03:48 PM
No lump in your cookers, huh Jay? Whew! Glad I saw that post before I wernt out and bought a chit load of it!

Have any of you MOFOs seen Duraflame briquets around the state? I can't recall seeing them anywhere and I'd be interested in trying them on Jim's advice.

http://www.duraflame.com/locator01.html

There you go Jeff. Shows national chains on the right, click the state for locals. Couple phone calls (especially in the Spring, at least up north here) will get you a few leads

stan
01-21-2006, 05:13 PM
I went to my local HD and they were sold out. Went to another and the had 2/20s for 9.48. I bought a couple but not as cheap as you guys found it.

JohnMcD348
01-22-2006, 08:51 AM
I was at my local Wally-World the other day here in Central Florida and all they had was the New Kingsford stuff, about 3-4 pallets I think. They also had a pallet of the Kingsford Lump so I bought a couple of bags.

JTMcD.

Solidkick
01-22-2006, 09:00 AM
http://www.duraflame.com/locator01.html

There you go Jeff. Shows national chains on the right, click the state for locals. Couple phone calls (especially in the Spring, at least up north here) will get you a few leads

Bill,

I did call a couple locally, and all they were carrying was the fireplace log....

brdbbq
01-22-2006, 09:02 AM
$11.50 48 Lbs here at HD

JohnMcD348
01-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Bill,

I did call a couple locally, and all they were carrying was the fireplace log....

That's pretty much the extent of the DuraFlame around my area too.

JTMcD.

Bill-Chicago
01-22-2006, 09:39 AM
That's pretty much the extent of the DuraFlame around my area too.

JTMcD.

Same here, but I expected it now. I expect when the winter chit is gone, maybe I'll have better luck

ThomEmery
01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Got the old Kings or lol Classic Kingford at HD

smokincracker
01-25-2006, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=Jeff_in_KC]No lump in your cookers, huh Jay? Whew! Glad I saw that post before I wernt out and bought a chit load of it!

Jeff

I have used Jay’s med cookers for about a year now. I have had success using the lump for short burns. I use it on Chicken as it is less predictable than the processed coal but gets the cooker hotter faster. I have used the new Kingsford now for the last few days cooking ribs and the new stuff seems to burn a little bit faster & hotter than the old stuff. One of my cookers has a custom maze built in the firebox that I have set up and I know times and temps with out looking and I noticed I was off with the new stuff. I used the Dura-flame for a few cooks and I saw no big advantage to the Kingsford and the Dura-flame produced more smoke. My fire grate was full of rocks after I used it. I like to introduce my own smoke in the form of wood chunks.
Welcome to the SpiceBox family you will be amazed how predictable your cooker will be cook after cook.

bruno
01-25-2006, 03:12 PM
A previous discussion mentioned that Kingsford's original would still be available. Here is a company press release:

http://www.shareholder.com/clx/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=184591

Kevin
01-25-2006, 03:43 PM
A previous discussion mentioned that Kingsford's original would still be available. Here is a company press release:

http://www.shareholder.com/clx/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=184591

Here's a cut and paste from said press release:

New Kingsford with Sure Fire Grooves will replace existing briquets across the Kingsford product line, from the original blue bag to all-in-one Matchlight Charcoal. Comparatively Kingsford's Sure Fire briquets deliver:

Smoker
01-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Lier Lier Pants on Fire. Once again...screw the consumer.

Solidkick
01-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Kingsford's response to my email...

Reference Number: 4318127

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for contacting us about Kingsford Regular Charcoal. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

We are coming out with a new formula, however, the Kingsford Original will still be the same. The Kingsford Original will still be available.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Brandon Goodman

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

Ummmm.....looks like ol' Brandon lied to me........

Chick'n Pig BBQ
01-25-2006, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Jeff_in_KC]No lump in your cookers, huh Jay? Whew! Glad I saw that post before I wernt out and bought a chit load of it!

Jeff

I have used Jay’s med cookers for about a year now. I have had success using the lump for short burns. I use it on Chicken as it is less predictable than the processed coal but gets the cooker hotter faster. I have used the new Kingsford now for the last few days cooking ribs and the new stuff seems to burn a little bit faster & hotter than the old stuff. One of my cookers has a custom maze built in the firebox that I have set up and I know times and temps with out looking and I noticed I was off with the new stuff. I used the Dura-flame for a few cooks and I saw no big advantage to the Kingsford and the Dura-flame produced more smoke. My fire grate was full of rocks after I used it. I like to introduce my own smoke in the form of wood chunks.
Welcome to the SpiceBox family you will be amazed how predictable your cooker will be cook after cook.

Jeff, I own a custom Spicewine trailer smoker and a Spicewine med size smoker. Both smokers cook exactly the same. I use mostly Kingsford and add chunks and logs for smoke.I have used lump and love it but it does burn up quicker.Smokin' Cracker is correct
Congratulations Spicewine brother