PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Smoker Design

HogFan
02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Seen this smoker for sale and thought the design was interesting. It was built in a technical college welding shop. Made from 30" diameter propane tanks. Appears trailer was also built in the same shop. Not sure where axle cam from but it has 15" wheels. Smoker is one year old. Owner has successfully used both stick and charcoal in firebox.

Fire is built in bottom of the vertical tank and it has an ash cleanout. Seller says there is an air outlet adjustment on top of the vertical tank. Currently only one rack in vertical tank but it has hangers at top for hanging meat. Rack supports could easily be added.

Only one grate level in horizontal tank. Seems the opening would need to be enlarged down lower to utilize two grate levels. Adjustable air exit on top of exhaust stack. Support between front of horizontal tank and trailer looks weak but owner says it made from 3" C-channel and 1 1/2" angle iron. Cooking surface in horizontal surface appears high but enlarging the opening might help this.

What are your thoughts about the pros and cons of this smoker? I thank you for your feedback!

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx267/adaboy13/VertHorizSmokerOnTrailer_zps38b996ab.jpg

Bludawg
02-11-2013, 01:03 PM
I'd say its worth 500, I like the design.

Redheart
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Does the horizontal chamber have a grease tap?

Motley Q
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Not taken care of

How does something just a year old get so rusty.

It has car tires on it. And they are probably over 6 yrs old

Trailer tires are made for a reason.

Be careful

HogFan
02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Q: How does something just a year old get so rusty?
A: I assume because it has never been painted.

Q: It has car tires on it. And they are probably over 6 yrs old
A: I agree the tires are in bad shape. He offered 2 replacement tires.

Q: Trailer tires are made for a reason.
A: I'm not aware that trailer tires function better. I thought they were cheaper made than car/truck tires due to loading the side wall less. Could you give more detail?

HogFan
02-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I'll have to check if there is a grease tap in the horizontal tank.

Neonnblack
02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
essentially, trailer tires or ST tires have very stiff sidewalls and higher PSI requirments to help reduce sway. LT or light truck tires can do the same in most cases.

Mo-Dave
02-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Interesting design. I would guess it has never been painted after it was built. Without seeing it in person, it looks like the fire box on the vertical is a little to close to the ground and could drag. Again can't really tell but both tanks seem a bit high to work out of comfortably and the last thing that concerns me is how low the exhaust is in relation to the horizontal tank. Does it have running lights and if so do they work? These, and what others have pointed out are points to bring to the table, along with all the work it will take to get it up and running, then offer him 350.00 to 375.00. Remember there will be good deals down the road if you can wait it out, he has his reasons for selling it, ask him why. Is there a title?
Dave