PDA

View Full Version : Cooking on BWS Extended Party----Need Advice

Longo1908
02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Please only reply if you use or have used the BWS Extended Party. 2 weeks in a row I've made excellent looking food but the smoke has been over powering. I've limited the size of the wood to (4) 2inch chunks placed in the charcoal grate in the 4 corners (1 in each corner). I think my problem is as the cook goes on I'm pushing the unlit coals to the rear and pouring fresh coals in the front to keep the tray full. But I don't know what else to do. Does anyone cook like this and/ or have any proven techniques or suggestions?
I very much appreciate your help
Thanks

John Bowen
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
How long do your cooks run and how many times do you put fresh coals in? I have a regular party and the most I have ever had to add coals was once. That was a 12 hour cook.

tyotrain
02-11-2013, 12:15 PM
I cook on a party G2 and have not had that problem. I also push my coals to the front so I can reload I use 2 fist size chunks of apple wood. What type of wood are you using wood like mesquite is much stronger

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Longo1908
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm starting with 4 chunks about 2x2. But they're spread out to ll 4 corners
2---hickory
2---Apple
Both cooks were about 10 hrs, but its been cold up here about 32 degrees both times. I used a total of about 11 pounds of charcoal and cooked at about 250-275 the whole way.

When you rake your coals are you adding more wood?

John Bowen
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I use 4 chunks of cherry not quite 3" and I don't add any after start up. I cook at 230 and I do have a heavier smoke flavor when I use the water pan with water. I used sand this Saturday and the smoke flavor was not as strong.

Untraceable
02-11-2013, 12:40 PM
how are your vent positions?

Fireburd
02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Also one thing I noticed no one has asked is how seasoned is your wood? If its too green or wet it will give off more smoke and could contribute to the over smoking. Also what cuts are you smoking that you are having issues with?

Jaskew82
02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Consider foiling once you get the color/bark you want. It will also help reduce smoke flavor.

Redheart
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Are you running with the stack wide open? I always run with the stack wide open, this prevents 'stale' smoke.

Goddahavit
02-11-2013, 02:30 PM
easy, use less wood, doesnt matter how much your using, if its too much, then add less.

in fact try a cook no wood and see how that comes out. that way you would be sure its the wood and not the charcoal causing your issues.

smokinit
02-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Cut the Hickory out it can be very strong and bitter if over used.

SchatzSea
02-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Cut the Hickory out it can be very strong and bitter if over used.

Blasphemy!! :eek: I run 1-2 splits of hickory for a cook that long with a load of meat in my BWS Competitor and the smoke flavor is always spot on. The Party should run pretty similarly.

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

smokinit
02-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Hickory is not a taste for all and for some one learning a new cooker can be over powering. Try it with just the apple or even as Eric mentioned base line it with now wood.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Longo1908
02-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Ok, thanks. I'm going to try my next cook without wood, but just for my own knowledge how much wood does everybody add as they cook on this cooker? And does everybody refill the same way by pushing everything in one direction and pouring in fresh charcoal sparatically?

tyotrain
02-11-2013, 07:24 PM
If I am doing say a pork butt I put in 2 fist size for the entire cook.

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

John Bowen
02-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Ok, thanks. I'm going to try my next cook without wood, but just for my own knowledge how much wood does everybody add as they cook on this cooker? And does everybody refill the same way by pushing everything in one direction and pouring in fresh charcoal sparatically?

How often do you add coals? I have an issue with smoke every time I add coals and I get the type of smoke you don’t want. But on my Party I can go well into the cook – after I wrap – to add coals. I can go well over 6 hours before I even have to think about it and then it is more my anxiety than the smoker. I am new to the Party maybe I am doing it wrong but on ribs I don't have to add coals and on butts I add charcoal only once.
You are going to get more smoke when you add unlit coals.

Longo1908
02-12-2013, 08:15 AM
What kind of charcoal do you use?

John Bowen
02-12-2013, 08:30 AM
I was using Kingsford Blue but the last two cooks I have used Chef’s Select and the smoke is not so pronounced.

I rake the lit coals to the guru side and add the fresh to the other side. I get the “undesired” smoke for about 15 minutes.