PDA

View Full Version : ET 732 Defect

BayoustateBBQ
02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I got my ET 732 3 days ago. I have done 2 test dry runs trying to tune my smoker. Well I got this 14lb brisket ready to go on this morning and low and behold my BBQ is probe right and my meat probe is stuck on 142 and I haven't even started the pit yet. I followed all the instructions in this forum, grommet ed the hole they go through etc, and this. What should I do?

BobM
02-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Make sure the probe is fully seated in it's connector.
Try putting in a new set of batteries.
If not, it will still be under warranty, contact them.

The_Kapn
02-10-2013, 11:37 AM
What he said, plus...

Swap the probes.
That should tell you if it is a probe or thermometer problem.

I keep several spare probes, not only for the 732 but my Taylors.
I buy them when they are on sale.
Seldom need one since I started Heat Shrinking the probe to cable junction, but nice to have around if I want/need one.

TIM

BayoustateBBQ
02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah I tried all That, probe seated, swapped probes etc. It's no doubt the probe. That's not saying alot for 2 runs

Bludawg
02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Get your money back and go buy a 5.00 analog stick thermo they never let me down. I learned that lesson after spending a few "C" notes on all that electronic BS. that keeps breaking, and No batteries to run down at midnite.

BayoustateBBQ
02-10-2013, 02:17 PM
After getting these I have found a 50 degree difference between my old analogs. I was just hoping to stick that probe in the point and pull it when it reached 205 degrees. I bought it off amazon so I'm waiting for them to call me. I have a good digi meat pen so I'll just have to fall back on that.

Bludawg
02-10-2013, 02:59 PM
After getting these I have found a 50 degree difference between my old analogs. I was just hoping to stick that probe in the point and pull it when it reached 205 degrees. I bought it off amazon so I'm waiting for them to call me. I have a good digi meat pen so I'll just have to fall back on that.
Calibrate them.
Now repeat the following until committed to memory
BBQ RULES

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

5-0 BBQ
02-11-2013, 08:15 AM
I got my ET 732 3 days ago. I have done 2 test dry runs trying to tune my smoker. Well I got this 14lb brisket ready to go on this morning and low and behold my BBQ is probe right and my meat probe is stuck on 142 and I haven't even started the pit yet. I followed all the instructions in this forum, grommet ed the hole they go through etc, and this. What should I do?When probes go bad they tend to read LLL or HHH. I have not had any issues with a drastic temp difference. Any chance the meat probe is accidently from a differnt unit? I know that if I take a ET-73 probe by accident and put it in my ET-732 I will see what is happening to you.

BayoustateBBQ
02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Probes worked fine first couple times. Just before I started the smoker BBQ read 65 meat probe read 142. Tried all the troubleshooting and the same result. Was just about call Maverick this morning plugged it in and the meat probe is now reading the ambient air temp of the bbq probe which is 65 degrees. so fingers crossed I guess it's working again.

spider22
02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
How did you clean them the 2 times you used it?

BayoustateBBQ
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
lightly wiped the probe with iso alcohol not touching the connection. Alcohol takes the film on in one wipe. Didn't wipe around the wire to probe connection at all. It was 90% alcohol not the 70% with more water

spider22
02-11-2013, 01:06 PM
lightly wiped the probe with iso alcohol not touching the connection. Alcohol takes the film on in one wipe. Didn't wipe around the wire to probe connection at all. It was 90% alcohol not the 70% with more water
You are doing that right. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing and it will work fine from here on out or if it is broken you will find out soon enough that it is still under warranty.

schmitty28
02-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I know this sounds stupid but I recently ordered a new probe for my 732 also and found out it wasn't the 732 replacement probe, it was for the model before the 732. I had the same results, my probe was stuck at 142 until I figured this out recheck your email confirm the probe tips are identical as mine were different

BayoustateBBQ
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I know this sounds stupid but I recently ordered a new probe for my 732 also and found out it wasn't the 732 replacement probe, it was for the model before the 732. I had the same results, my probe was stuck at 142 until I figured this out recheck your email confirm the probe tips are identical as mine were different

ordered off of amazon. How do you tell if the probes are for a diff model?. My bbq probe is approx 4", my meat probe is alot longer and curved. They look about the same as the prod pic