PDA

View Full Version : Knife question

Plaid Palace
02-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I am fairly new to this hardcore BBQing.

I have a knife set that was given to me as a wedding gift 3 years ago. Probably a 50-60 dollar set from Bed Bath and Beyond. It works great for cutting veggies up but this weekend I tried to slice chicken wings and ribs up using the knife. It got the job done but not very well.

So I am looking on Amazon, trying to find a deal on something. Any suggestions? What type of knife am I looking for? All I have typed in, is "knife" but is what I am looking a "butchers knife"?

72challorange
02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I use a basic sharpener from harbor freight and can get my cheap knife set very sharp.

But in any case these two brands are excellent-Wüsthof, Henckels

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-03-2013, 07:18 PM
What s your budget?

Plaid Palace
02-03-2013, 07:19 PM
What s your budget?

For something I can buy tonight...

as low as possible. Under $15. Hoping to score a deal on something that might of been used on Amazon.

Later, I hope to get something over $50 but for now something cheap will have to do.

yakdung
02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
I use two old hickory knives I found on the floor of my parents garage. Remember it is about the BBQ not all the fancy gadgets for sale. Good luck.
http://youtu.be/1X4GwCjRM8k
Amazon.com: Old Hickory Butcher Knife.: Sports & Outdoors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ontario-Old-Hickory-7-Butcher-Cutlery-Knife-USA-/270839837839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f4ff48f

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-03-2013, 07:23 PM
In that case I recommend the $9 AccuSharp knife sharpener and the knives you already have while you take your time researching this.

Amazon.com: AccuSharp 001 Knife Sharpener: Home Improvement

Pyle's BBQ
02-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Try typing chef's knife. You are not going to find anything decent for $15. The Vitroniox(sp) that comes up on Amazon would be a good starter. I know it is $30, but it will be a good all around knife for you.

Plaid Palace
02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Try typing chef's knife. You are not going to find anything decent for $15. The Vitroniox(sp) that comes up on Amazon would be a good starter. I know it is $30, but it will be a good all around knife for you.

For the price, would this work?

Amazon.com: Victorinox 40570 Cutlery 6-Inch Chef's Knife, Black Fibrox Handle: Home & Kitchen

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-03-2013, 07:38 PM

I have the 8" Victorinox chef's knife and like it a lot. It is top rated by Cook's Illustrated for whatever that's worth.

Pyle's BBQ
02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
For the price, would this work?

Amazon.com: Victorinox 40570 Cutlery 6-Inch Chef's Knife, Black Fibrox Handle: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-6-Inch-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B0000CFDD5/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359941732&sr=1-1&keywords=chef+knife)

It will work, but you may find that it is too short.

benniesdad
02-03-2013, 07:48 PM
I agree that you need to take your time and do some homework before you invest a considerable amount of money. In the meantime, you might want to pick up one of these so you have something half way decent to use while you figure it out. This is the knife that Cooks Illustrated has recommended for several years. Not a big investment, but worth it

Amazon.com: Victorinox 40520 Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife: Kitchen & Dining

Plaid Palace
02-03-2013, 08:00 PM
I agree that you need to take your time and do some homework before you invest a considerable amount of money. In the meantime, you might want to pick up one of these so you have something half way decent to use while you figure it out. This is the knife that Cooks Illustrated has recommended for several years. Not a big investment, but worth it

Amazon.com: Victorinox 40520 Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-40520-Fibrox-8-Inch-Chefs/dp/B000638D32/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2)

Is this the same knife but 10"?

Amazon.com: Victorinox 10" Chef's Knife, Black Fibrox Handle: Kitchen & Dining

dmprantz
02-03-2013, 08:00 PM
For BBQ I'd suggest you buy one of everything from the SAMs club food service isle. Maybe $30 for 10 blades. Hone as long as you can and throw out.

JohnHB
02-03-2013, 08:01 PM
A good knife lasts for years. Using a good knife is a pleasure. Do not frustrate yourself buying junk. Save up!!!
John

limetwist
02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Victorinox makes an incredible low budget Chef's knife. Also check out the boning knife; that might be useful.

Amazon.com: Victorinox 47513 6-Inch Flex Boning Knife with Fibrox Handle: Kitchen & Dining

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Just type I'm 8" Victorinox chef fibrox in Amazon search.

jmoney7269
02-03-2013, 08:04 PM
At cookoffs I only take 3 razor sharp knives with me and a hone.
All victorinox fibrox: 6" semi stiff boning, 8" chefs and 12" slicer. Bout $100 bucks for all of them. Those are the only knives you will ever use again. Awesome quality and the great reviews are all spot on. When budget allows purchase of these knives, buy the matching messermeister guards also. Good luck

Plaid Palace
02-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Just type I'm 8" Victorinox chef fibrox in Amazon search.

I was asking because the 10 inch knife is about 10 bucks cheaper when you take into consideration the shipping options.

chriscw81
02-03-2013, 08:21 PM
i'd definitely go with victorinox. get whichever you can comfortably afford and use it. later you can use your experience with the first to determine what other knife you want. i have the 10" chefs knife and love it.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
02-03-2013, 08:30 PM
The Victorinox is a good enough knife to use for quite a long time. $10 isn't all that much more in he long run. Get the length you will be comfortable with.

Big Mike
02-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Is this the same knife but 10"?

Amazon.com: Victorinox 10" Chef's Knife, Black Fibrox Handle: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Chefs-Knife-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B0000CF8YO/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1359943049&sr=1-7&keywords=victorinox+knife)

Yes, that is the same just 10". That would be much better than the 6" and that is a very good price. If you can get it, get it.

Victorinox is a really good knife, especially for the price. I think you would be very happy with it. I have a 14" Victorinox granton slicer. It came very sharp and holds an edge very well. Some folks don't like them because they are stamped, not forged. But, to be quite honest, in todays world I don't think there is an appreciable difference in quality between a good stamped knife and a forged one.

dmprantz
02-03-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't much participate in these threads anymore, so I should probably point out that I have more money in German and Japanese cutlery in my home right now than most on this forum. I probably have more in cutlery than many have in cookers. Though I don't consider myself a "knife knutt" I can appreciate a good tool.

That being said, I like good analogies, so I'll compare this to smokers and say that perhaps every one should get a Jambo J-7. They are amazing cookers and if you can use one correctly, you're set. Still, they require some work including the possession of a tow vehicle and the willingness to cook on them correctly and all that that entails. Even if you don't want one of those, there's a BGE or a WSM with certain benefits, and to those who want to cook on a budget, there's even a UDS. Indeed I had read from multiple people that you should build a UDS and plan on throwing it away because they are so cheap to build and hard to clean.

I have no argument that the Forschner Fibrox line is an incredibly good value, but based on what was expressed as a desire for cost vs. benefit, I really think that the Bakers and Chefs stuff at Sam's Club may be just what you need for now. You can play around with a Chef's, Santoku, Utility/carving/petty, boning, and paring knives for just a few bucks. $15 was the mark, so let's find a way to meet it, eh? If you aren't a member of Sam's find a friend who is, and if you can't, maybe try mail order. Their stuff is not the best, but it fits your budget fairly well, and will get you by until you know what you like and can buy it. Your other options are spending $30-$130 dollars per blade, and then another $300+ on sharpening tools, or several hours learning how to do it by hand. I think it's worth teaching some one cheaper and easier route, at least to start. You could spend $100 now and find the perfect knife, or you could spend $100 on a chef's to realize that you prefer a Santoku, etc.

dmp

bignburlyman
02-04-2013, 08:26 AM
I have no argument that the Forschner Fibrox line is an incredibly good value, but based on what was expressed as a desire for cost vs. benefit, I really think that the Bakers and Chefs stuff at Sam's Club may be just what you need for now.
dmp

I agree that for the price paid the Bakers & Chefs knives are decent and do what a knife is supposed to do. I use the 6 inch boning knife (Sams sells a set of 2 with different width blades for around $20) for trimming and prep, set below. They also have set of 2 chef knives for around the same price.

Two pack Boning knives Stain free high carbon chrome finish - molybdenum steel Includes 6" narrow stiff boning knife and 6 1/4" extra wide boning knife Fine edge NSF certified Dishwasher safe Durable & economical Designed for commercial use