PDA

View Full Version : WTF do people consider GOOD Barbecue?

Beast Drinker
01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Sorry I don't post here too much... But.

WTF do people consider GOOD Barbecue? AND WHY? What are BBQ joints selling? I mean maybe before I ASK the brethren, I should say why, Yesterday I cooked up a 10 lb Flat, USDA choice, I was unimpressed, I screwed up the weather report and my smoker stayed between 300 and 275... I thought I dried it out and it was tough by my standard. 185 internal after only 7 hours, no I don't foil, but I mean I GUESS I got the results I wanted, sorta, I usually go way low and slow on Brisket not kinda hot and pretty fast... the boys was like "bangin" "on point" "Incredible". IMO if I'da boxed it it would have been a contender in the worst box thread. Matter of fact I brought sauce that I whipped up cause I thought it sucked so bad, but they only put on sauce cause they liked the sauce and the meat was awesome without it?????.... What the heck... I understand that MOST people aren't used to competition quality Q, but they talk about local Q places I haven't hit in the same manner, I feel a LOT more apprehensive on trying them.. I also put 3 bare naked fatties up for grabs, Jamestown Hot Sausage I think. In all 7 dudes and 13 lbs of meat ( pre cooked) GONE by noon. Makes me feel a LOT less confident in my local BBQ joints. Guess I'll only check out the top ones with most reviews. I admit this isn't a Brisket area, but I KNOW I probably wouldn't have botched pulled pork that bad, I wonder if the review wouldn't have been the same?

this cook woulda been PrON worthy to show you HOW bad I thought it was almost and it knocked 'em dead? Somehow, that somewhat bothers me.

Is our national BBQ IQ too low?

Pyle's BBQ
01-28-2013, 11:09 PM
We are our own worst critic. There are times at the restaurant that I don't feel what I make is tasting good, but everyone thinks it tastes great. Yes, most people have not had the competition BBQ and if that is what you are comparing it too, it is going to be tough to top that.

Bludawg
01-28-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't know how it is for BBQ in the VA Bch./Tidewater area now but when I lived there in the 80's the only good "Q" came off my pit. Most of the general population don't know the difference between Good and Bad BBQ. I never consider Comp Q to be good BBQ it's to busy. Simple seasoning Heat & Meat rules. I Cook all my briskets around 300 IMO the absolute best temp for most meats. YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY MIN PER POUND" Probe tender for brisket is the only reliable way to know when it is ready. Cook by feel!

HankB
01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
I am probably not my own worst critic. I like almost anything. :wink:

I rely on what those who I serve my 'Q to to let me know what think. I generally get very favorable reviews, but I do wonder if the other folks just have not had really good 'Q.

I can safely say that it is getting hard to find a restaurant that serves 'Q that I like as much as my own. SWMBO agrees, but we are both highly biased.

I'll probably never compete because I don't think I want to cook to someone else' standard. I cook for myself (which I suppose is a way of deluding myself. e.g. I wanted it that way. :rolleyes: )

landarc
01-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Be glad your guests enjoyed the food you made for them. Know that you can do better and push for that. Most folks know what they like, it may be awful to you, but, perfect to them. I never trust anyone else's opinion about food but my own, and a very select few oft friends. I think our national IQ on BBQ is fine, just far too varied.

caseydog
01-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Easy answer. Good BBQ is whatever me and my close friends enjoy eating.

Good eatin' is all that matters, no matter what anyone says.

CD

IamMadMan
01-29-2013, 06:29 AM
You have to remember that many people do not have the passion for good "Q" and many have never tried to make real bbq.

To the those who have never experienced the taste of bbq from a true craftsman, even what we consider the worst of ours, will probably be the best they will ever have.

Many so called bbq restaurants put the emphasis on sauce as the only bbq factor, and forget about meat texture and flavor.

Be happy they enjoyed your "Q" and use what you consider to be "not your best" as a learning experience to make improvements on your next cook.

Bbq Bubba
01-29-2013, 07:09 AM
I wouldnt get overly excited.

People always rave about free food.

Big slick
01-29-2013, 07:10 AM
Nothing I do is good enough for me. I always am picking apart my BBQ.

ITBFQ
01-29-2013, 07:22 AM
I agree with several who have already responded. I am ALWAYS finding an area to improve with every cook I do. Whether its the sauce, rub, what I put in the foil when I wrap, how I trim/prep, etc. My wife will rave about whatever comes off the smoker - God bless her, but it's not much help when trying to find the extra inch of improvement. But, I do know this - I have fun every time I fire up the smoker. To me, that is MOST important. Enjoy the time spent with friends! Heck, I even look forward to the days I can spend outside by the smoker alone!

lastmajordude
01-29-2013, 07:36 AM
most folks i know think BBQ is sauce on something......and ribs are mush.

cirk
01-29-2013, 07:44 AM
The best BBQ is served with lots of beer and in my backyard! Lol

Mrfish
01-29-2013, 07:56 AM
This is all you need right?

CarolinaQue
01-29-2013, 08:12 AM
I think you pulled the brisket to early. 185* is usually a little low IMO. Did it probe like butter or still have resistence?

As far as your feeling about restaurant 'que, most is dissapointing...especially in your area.

Regarding comp quality 'que...have you done any contests yet to have a baseline to draw your opinion from?

Beast Drinker
01-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Well, I'm glad they ate it hell they crushed it. I shouldn't have really expected much from that particular cook. I don't do enough briskets to really have a feel for them. It's a treat just to pull one outta the cryo and wrassle it for me. The fatties were good, but I'm gonna try another sausage brand next time too salty. But like I say if I'm firing up the pit to cook anything I throw a fatty or preferably 2 in there, so I got a feel for them.

I wasn't proud of my effort, but it did get the results. whether I would call it an "A" cook. I didn't hide the meat under sauce, it wasn't THAT bad.

Beast Drinker
01-29-2013, 08:22 AM
I think you pulled the brisket to early. 185* is usually a little low IMO. Did it probe like butter or still have resistence?

As far as your feeling about restaurant 'que, most is dissapointing...especially in your area.

Regarding comp quality 'que...have you done any contests yet to have a baseline to draw your opinion from?

I actually pulled it when the probe went in like butter. I didn't pay attention to the internal when I took it off.I hit 185 and I knew I was gonna be close and poked it later on. I thought I missed just a hair on juicy ness of the meat.

John Bowen
01-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Where I tend to get hard on myself is when I try something and it doesn’t turn out the way I want the taste becomes secondary to me. I get good comments and empty plates but I focus on what I messed up or what I could do better.
Another thing I noticed is when I cook competition style – like a test at home – people fill up quickly because the BBQ is so rich. I notice that my daughter can put away almost a whole rack of ribs when I cook them plain with rub and sauce but when I throw the brown sugar, honey – wrap etc. she can only eat 3 or 4 bones before she gets full.
One last comment was from this weekend. We traveled to Memphis and got a chance to eat a Neely’s Interstate BBQ. It has a big following and the parking lot was full at 11:15 am. They had reviews posted on the wall and pictures of celebrities who ate there. People were scarfing it down and we ordered the sample platter to try everything. When it came I can’t tell you how it tasted because it was drowned in sauce. The sauce was good but I did not need a gallon and I could not tell you what the meat tasted like. When I looked over the restaurant every dish was like that. IMO when you use that much sauce you are hiding something.

Texas Turtle
01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
I did a big cook two plus years ago for my daughter's engagement party. Did ribs, chicken, sausage & brisket for 50 guests in my backyard. IMO, brisket was fair, ribs pretty good, sausage was sausage, and chicken was a bit over done from holding on the corner of the pit. Everybody raved about the brisket and ribs, my future in-laws declared me the world's greatest BBQ chef, and there were no leftovers except the half rack of ribs I saved for lunch the next day. I guess we are our own severest critic so we just have to keep working to improve in our own eyes and be happy others enjoy our efforts.

16Adams
01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Saw an elderly lady camped out at one of the vendor stands at Sam's one day. I actually heard her say, "if it's free take three".

Enkidu
01-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I agree with everyone who said that we are our own worst critic. I don't think I have ever enjoyed what I cook nearly as much as the people eating it. That said, there is one trick I learned from the brethren that has helped me enjoy my BBQ more though...

After your cook and before eating, take a shower, wash your hair, brush your teeth and tongue, use a neti pot, and change into some clean clothes. Probably one of the reasons your BBQ doesn't taste as good to you as it does to others (other than being perfectionists and very self-critical) is that you have been surrounded by smoke for so long that you cannot taste it! Since I have started making it a ritual to do these things, I find that I am enjoying my own Q more than I used to (although I am still pretty critical).

aawa
01-29-2013, 08:40 AM
When backyard cooking it is much different than competition cooking. Friends that don't get Q are excited to get it from friends. And more times than not (unless you hockey puck meat or serve raw meat) your friends will enjoy it, while you see the things you could of done better.

In the Hampton Roads Area, there are only a couple of BBQ Joints that I would even consider eating at. On the Southside of Hampton Roads I would go to Smoke from Above. The pulled pork is a little bit wetter than I like, but the ribs and sausage are good. Whitners is also a place where I would go, the burnt ends, smoked turkey, and ribs are good as well. I have tried WoodChicks (LeAnn Whippins restaurant) and was very unimpressed. The BBQ there was pretty much bland and seemed over cooked the 4 times I have tried it.

In Newport News/Yorktown area of Hampton Roads I have heard good things about Smoke and County Grill & Smokehouse.

This area is lacking in superb bbq joints, which is the reason why I got into Qing last year. My first few tries I would have the same friends come over and ask their honest opinions on the pulled pork and ribs, and which ones they thought came out the best. There were times when I thought I overcooked the meat and times I thought I undercooked it, but no matter what my friends enjoyed the homemade bbq and got rave reviews each time.

On Saturday, I did my first full packer. I thought the flat had probed like butter when I finally pulled it. After letting rest for an hour, i came back to slice it, and the flavors were good for the brisket. The point was awesome, but the flat was a little bit tougher than I wanted (probably could of used another 30mins to an hour on the cooker) My friends loved it and demolished it. I know I could improve my brisket, but the friends that don't get to brisket very often were very pleased with the outcome. None used sauce on the meat even though I had some on the side.

Beast Drinker
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Hey in my opening post for some reason I wrote competition quality Q. I meant to say just really good quality. I'm not a competition barbecuer. Don't think I'll ever try it either. (maybe)

stl-rich
01-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Ya gotta remember when ya q a brisket ya at the pit for hours with smoke in your face. Ya just can't appreciate the Smokey flavor unless ya shower and change ya clothes- and that only helps a little. :cry:

Enkidu
01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Ya gotta remember when ya q a brisket ya at the pit for hours with smoke in your face. Ya just can't appreciate the Smokey flavor unless ya shower and change ya clothes- and that only helps a little. :cry:

As I wrote above, using a neti pot (with distilled water -- don't want any brain-eating amoebae) and brushing your teeth & tongue helps quite a bit too (in addition to showering, paying special attention to washing your hair and changing clothes).

BobM
01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
I agree with CD. If my family and freinds like it, and I enjoyed cooking it, it's good.

Sent from my Android phone.

kds9547
01-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Maybe your friends just didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Enkidu
01-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Maybe your friends just didn't want to hurt your feelings.

While I don't doubt that his friends wouldn't want to hurt his feelings, I doubt that is why he enjoyed the BBQ a lot less than they did. My best friend does a lot of BBQ too and whenever he cooks, I seem to enjoy whatever he cooks more than he does, just like whenever I cook, he enjoys it more than me. And we aren't just being nice to one another.

I think that a combination of being a perfectionist about one's own cooking as well as being surrounded by smoke during the cook is what makes us enjoy our own BBQ less than others do, even among people who know good BBQ. Another factor, depending on how long the cook was and how sleep deprived you may be, is that you might just be too tired to fully enjoy what you've cooked. One of the things I have noticed is that I tend to like my own BBQ more the day after it is cooked, even though I know it isn't as good. By then, I am fully rested, have gotten more of the smell of smoke out of myself and my clothes, and haven't been obsessed with tending to a large hunk of meat for many hours (and I've probably had fewer beers in my system too).

tnjimbob
01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
I think that unless you cook 'que regularly, BBQ is a destination food for a majority of non-BBQ cooks. They don't eat it that often, and as said above, unless you serve hockey pucks or raw meat, most people will think it is terrific.

We are our own worst critics, especially when our cooks aren't perfect every time. Perfection is very subjective, and I believe that if people scarf down my 'que like it's their last meal on earth, I try to take satisfaction in their enjoyment of what I have cooked. Dwelling on the details only serves as a learning experience to be applied in future cooks.

Bludawg
01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
When backyard cooking it is much different than competition cooking. Friends that don't get Q are excited to get it from friends. And more times than not (unless you hockey puck meat or serve raw meat) your friends will enjoy it, while you see the things you could of done better.

In the Hampton Roads Area, there are only a couple of BBQ Joints that I would even consider eating at. On the Southside of Hampton Roads I would go to Smoke from Above. The pulled pork is a little bit wetter than I like, but the ribs and sausage are good. Whitners is also a place where I would go, the burnt ends, smoked turkey, and ribs are good as well. I have tried WoodChicks (LeAnn Whippins restaurant) and was very unimpressed. The BBQ there was pretty much bland and seemed over cooked the 4 times I have tried it.

In Newport News/Yorktown area of Hampton Roads I have heard good things about Smoke and County Grill & Smokehouse.

This area is lacking in superb bbq joints, which is the reason why I got into Qing last year. My first few tries I would have the same friends come over and ask their honest opinions on the pulled pork and ribs, and which ones they thought came out the best. There were times when I thought I overcooked the meat and times I thought I undercooked it, but no matter what my friends enjoyed the homemade bbq and got rave reviews each time.

On Saturday, I did my first full packer. I thought the flat had probed like butter when I finally pulled it. After letting rest for an hour, i came back to slice it, and the flavors were good for the brisket. The point was awesome, but the flat was a little bit tougher than I wanted (probably could of used another 30mins to an hour on the cooker) My friends loved it and demolished it. I know I could improve my brisket, but the friends that don't get to brisket very often were very pleased with the outcome. None used sauce on the meat even though I had some on the side.All these years and nothing has changed:tsk:

Midnight Smoke
01-29-2013, 09:34 AM
I find that after an all night'r or other long cook I really enjoy more if my family and guests like the cook. After cooking that long I find myself not very hungry and when I'm not hungry nothing tastes so good.

To me it is like Hotdogs at a ballgame, they always taste better when someone else cooks them.

Yendor
01-29-2013, 09:44 AM
I know my neighbor likes to ask what I am cooking every time I fire up any of my cookers. He openly admitted that he has a propane grill because he is impatient and would not be able to wait. He always sneaks over for a taste of whatever and swoons over it. Now that being said, most BBQ joints are crap. It is a lot easier to cook up 1 meal versus several over the entire day for a boatload of people that all like to complain that it is too smokey, not smokey enough, too spicy, not spicy enough and blah blah blah.

I always enjoy my own cooks, not just for the food, but for the time I got to spend with my smoker. I'm going through withdrawals right now. Stupid winter.

Beast Drinker
01-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I guess whatever they consider to be good barbecue. Out of all those guys I'm the only one with more than one pit. Whatever is is I reckon don't wanna be a bbq snob or any of that.

Q Junkie
01-29-2013, 11:08 AM
As I wrote above, using a neti pot (with distilled water -- don't want any brain-eating amoebae) and brushing your teeth & tongue helps quite a bit too (in addition to showering, paying special attention to washing your hair and changing clothes).

As long as the Brain Eating Amoebae think it tastes good then it is OK.

Motley Q
01-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Most people don't know crap about a lot of things.

And they don't care to learn.

BBQ Bandit
01-29-2013, 11:26 AM
The problem is people will follow and go to a lesser quality bbq place... because they don't know a few things. Such as where and who will provide a better product. Many don't know what better bbq taste like. Better bbq doesn't get buried in sauce.

I was one of those ignorant people, too... willing to try a place which lists bbq on their menu.

I just did not know any better... or how to do it better. This forum showed me a better way... a return to old school BBQ with countless modern tricks, techniques, and tips. Found an online fellowship to boot, too.

Beast Drinker
01-29-2013, 11:45 AM
You know one thing about this Flat, is although I wasn't as happy with it as other ones I've done, It had nice bark on it and killer burnt edges, I think I'll start doing brethren searches for threads about hot and fast. The boys are still talking about it. Maybe there's some research to be done, from a cook that I didn't think had went well.

landarc
01-29-2013, 12:32 PM
I share BBQ Bandits appreciation of the Brethren, that is for sure.

I do fall afoul of what most folks here believe however. I am willing to allow that good BBQ is what the person doing the eating enjoys. Plain and simple, if they enjoy eating cooked meat and loads of sauce, then more power to them, they will likely not love my BBQ, but, they love someone's BBQ and that is all that matters. I love the act of cooking, in some ways, more than the act of eating it. Most of all, I love feeding people, which rewards me a great deal. I still cook the best I can based upon my taste, but, I enjoy most when my friends and loved ones enjoy my food.

That being said, there are a couple of places out here, that serve awful meat, or mediocre meat, but, folks love the sauce. For them, that is BBQ, so be it. When one of these folks tells me they loved my ribs, but, I should go to XXX place and try their ribs, the sauce is sooo good, that is their opinion, and just as valid as my own. Who am I to tell the world what is, or is not, real BBQ?

JS-TX
01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
I'm with Lanarc here, we all know of at least a few BBQ joints that serve up bad or below average BBQ but yet people show up in droves to eat it and love it. I think it's because that's what people are used to eating and don't know any better. This even applies to BBQ that people's friends and family cookup.

BBQdisciple
01-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Hampton Roads area does suck for BBQ. When I started to BBQ I would hit the local joints to find a comparative baseline and discovered either I don't know Q, or I make the best bbq in the area (at least to my taste). I always found the best pulled pork in the area to be from a dive bar called Footer's sports pub. very basic East Carolina traditional style.

In regards the OP's story, I remember totally screwing up a shoulder for a poker game trying a new cooker in the middle of winter and apologizing to my guests before serving (I had to rip meat off the bone, instead the usual twist and slide) and they commented on how great it was.

So I know the feeling, but hey, next time you cook a brisket and it comes out to your standards and the same guests attend, imagine how impressed they'll be.

jestridge
01-29-2013, 02:04 PM
I just know what I like

stephan
01-29-2013, 02:06 PM
I have to agree with landarc. In fact I feel its rude to tell someone what their eating is or is not good BBQ. Thats up to the one enjoying it.

Enkidu
01-29-2013, 02:13 PM
I love the act of cooking, in some ways, more than the act of eating it. Most of all, I love feeding people, which rewards me a great deal. I still cook the best I can based upon my taste, but, I enjoy most when my friends and loved ones enjoy my food.

Totally agree!! Well said!

Gasket
01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
I also agree with landarc, I enjoy the act of cooking much more than eating. I am also never satisfied with my results and I'm always asking my family what I can improve on, what should I do different next time? I'm always thinking about what could be better with my Q instead of just enjoying it.

aawa
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
I enjoy cooking and eating the same amount. The one thing with cooking/eating my own food is that I am my own worst critic. I am always looking for ways to improve my cooking, so I try to find the "faults" in my cooking so I can make even better food. I will still enjoy my food because I think I am a pretty dang good cook, but always look to improve.

Cooking for others and seeing them enjoy my food brings a sense of gratification. I don't think I have cooked food where most people didn't enjoy the food. I know it might not be the most amazing thing they ate, but they do acknowledge the fact that it is good food. And good food helps foster good times with your good friends.

BBQdisciple
01-29-2013, 03:43 PM
I somehow easily lose my appetite when working a grill for a long period of time. but on a low and slow cook, I typically get my fair share while pulling or slicing

NickTheGreat
01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Let me get this straight, a guy is asking what is wrong with people's preferences, and his screen name is "Beast Drinker"??? Unless that doesn't refer to Milwaukee's Best :wacko:

Big Dan
01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
You know one thing about this Flat, is although I wasn't as happy with it as other ones I've done, It had nice bark on it and killer burnt edges, I think I'll start doing brethren searches for threads about hot and fast. The boys are still talking about it. Maybe there's some research to be done, from a cook that I didn't think had went well.
Be careful with the Hot and Fast, it takes practice and lots of attention. I happen to be one of the lucky ones who live very close to the Texas BBQ heavens, and many of them cook hot and fast. Kreuz will get a 15 pound beef shoulder clod done in 6 hours, but they (Roy Perez) are experts at it. To learn about the subject, I would look for books about Texas BBQ.
Good Q is just that,Good Q. Educated folk know what it is and the sheep just go where they are told. An Example: City Market in Luling, Texas. They have a name that has been built up over a long period of time. The place is usually packed. But you won't find BBQ afficianados going there anymore, simply because the product is no good anymore. Why? Because they fire up a Southern Pride GAS smoker to up production. They don't care about the end product any more, they care about the dollar, and it shows. I went there to investigate a few weeks back and I swear I will never go back. It tasted like dog****! But the crowds were there.The sheep do not know the difference. Most are just tourists and are told that it is good BBQ so they eat there and they think that is what it is supposed to be, not knowing that they have been taken by fraud because it is no longer Pit BBQ.
For the latest in Texas Hill country BBQ, Dan Vaughn's site:http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/

fmm1
01-29-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm a relitively new Q'er. Only 2-3 years experience and I really ramped up how much Q I did this year. Nearly once a week. I'm a bbq fanatic. I'll tell you I just really enjoy doing it. I'm learning a lot about cooking, i've seen improvement, and changed my cooking styles, rubs, sauces, etc. just to learn and see how doing it different ways turns out different. I've made my own rubs, and used several diff well known bbq rubs like Oakridge and Simply Marvelous. I've learned so much, and i've never had a single complaint. I did ribs the other day that my wife slammed down and she's not a big rib person. They tasted great no doubt but they weren't the best ribs i've done in my opinion. I did 16lbs of pulled pork for my daughters birthday and it was an absolute smash! People ate it up, my father in law ate 7 pork sandwiches and having a quiet house while everyone was eating was the best compliment I could get! At the end of the day, if my family likes it, it's enjoyed, I had fun cooking it, it made for good bbq.

Beast Drinker
01-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Let me get this straight, a guy is asking what is wrong with people's preferences, and his screen name is "Beast Drinker"??? Unless that doesn't refer to Milwaukee's Best :wacko:

Name's just a fun nod at my college days. Meant to be cheeky and fun. I know for a fact that The Beast Sucks, I tried drinkin' one about a year ago and MAN... WHEW. But back in 97,98, 99, 00 etc ... A case of the Beast Ice'd get ya pretty dang rocked for NOT too much money. Believe you me I know the difference between the beer I drink most of the time (not the Beast) and the stuff I get on special occaisions, like say a Stone's Arrogant Bastard or something like that. Unless you're enough of a beer snob to call a beer like Fat Tire cheap (maybe a once a month 12 pack for me). Yeah mostly I drink cheapo beer but I don't knock down a Yuengling yellow can (even though it's my favorite cheap beer) or Miller lite too often and say MAN was that good. (Miller Lite and Yuengling aren't in the same league IMO) But the price range is the same. I prefer Miller Lite over Yuengling light but no TRUE beer snob would ever drink Lite Beer, so you wouldn't know maybe. I don't wanna be a Q snob. I was just amazed that I turned out somethin' on the level of like a Bud Light and I get an Arrogant Bastard review. THAT'S all.

NickTheGreat
01-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Name's just a fun nod at my college days. Meant to be cheeky and fun. I know for a fact that The Beast Sucks, I tried drinkin' one about a year ago and MAN... WHEW. But back in 97,98, 99, 00 etc ... A case of the Beast Ice'd get ya pretty dang rocked for NOT too much money. Believe you me I know the difference between the beer I drink most of the time (not the Beast) and the stuff I get on special occaisions, like say a Stone's Arrogant Bastard or something like that. Unless you're enough of a beer snob to call a beer like Fat Tire cheap (maybe a once a month 12 pack for me). Yeah mostly I drink cheapo beer but I don't knock down a Yuengling yellow can (even though it's my favorite cheap beer) or Miller lite too often and say MAN was that good. (Miller Lite and Yuengling aren't in the same league IMO) But the price range is the same. I prefer Miller Lite over Yuengling light but no TRUE beer snob would ever drink Lite Beer, so you wouldn't know maybe. I don't wanna be a Q snob. I was just amazed that I turned out somethin' on the level of like a Bud Light and I get an Arrogant Bastard review. THAT'S all.
You and I are speaking the same language! :-P :mrgreen:

jestridge
01-31-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't care for BBQ cook on charcoal brick thingys , but apparently lot of people love it it what people likes I think we watch too many cooking shows and let them tells us what is good.