PDA

View Full Version : Pit Barrel Smoker build

cinmur
01-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Just built 30 gal. Pbs which works great. Does anybody know how charcoal fits in the charcoal basket sold by the PBS company? My basket is larger and trying to get an idea on how much they use.

jrn
01-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Are you wanting to know the dimensions? IIRC, it's a 14" basket. Don't know the depth on it, but that shouldn't be hard to find out. IMO, its not that important. I think it's more about how much lit charcoal you use (minion method) than the size of the basket. However, height would matter as far as the top of the basket and its relation to the bottom of the food. But I don't think a few inches one way or another would matter much. Jason. :)

jrn
01-24-2013, 07:51 PM
I would think six inches would be enough. ( that's what she said!) I knew y'all were thinking it so I said it first!!

Trumpstylz
01-24-2013, 07:57 PM
The important things would be A) set it up so that you can hang the meat and B) (optional) put the settings so that x amount of charcoal gets you to 280 or 290. The rest doesn't seem all that important to me.

jrn
01-24-2013, 08:09 PM
The important things would be A) set it up so that you can hang the meat and B) (optional) put the settings so that x amount of charcoal gets you to 280 or 290. The rest doesn't seem all that important to me.

Yep. What Trump said.

When I build mine I'm gonna use a ball valve and one or two additional close nipples with pipe caps.

PatioDaddio
01-24-2013, 08:20 PM
How about buying one to find out? It's pretty crass to ask on a public forum how to
copy a commercial product. Just sayin'...

John

cowgirl
01-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Just built 30 gal. Pbs which works great. Does anybody know how charcoal fits in the charcoal basket sold by the PBS company? My basket is larger and trying to get an idea on how much they use.

Can't help you with the basket but I hope you take some pics to share of your build. Would love to see it!

jrn
01-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I disagree John. Where did you buy your uds's? Did you get ideas on how to build them on this forum? Besides that, who appointed you the PBC watchdog? It would be nice to have one conversation about these style cookers without you taking someone to task. Jason

PatioDaddio
01-24-2013, 09:07 PM
I disagree John. Where did you buy your uds's? Did you get ideas on how to build them on this forum? Besides that, who appointed you the PBC watchdog? It would be nice to have one conversation about these style cookers without you taking someone to task. Jason

We've had discussions ad-nauseum, and perhaps you've noticed that
I've been ready, willing and able to answer questions. However, when
it comes to protected intellectual property and ethics I won't
compromise.

If it were your product and your livelihood on the line I doubt that
you'd be so open-minded. So, it really boils down to the Golden
Rule.

John

foam2
01-24-2013, 09:08 PM
How about buying one to find out? It's pretty crass to ask on a public forum how to

John
We're not splitting the atom here... The basic design of the PBC is very simple and others who want to experiment before buying one or are frugal might try imitating it. Before I bought my PBC I built a UDS with stainless rods and hooks and it was great but I wanted to see what the original was like. When the PBC arrived I was surprised to see how close some of the things were to what I built on my UDS but also how some things were better on a comercial unit. I have not cooked on my PBC yet but there are going to be some significant quality differences between the PBC and DIY unit as well. The PBC is powder coated while the DIY paint is typically from high temp spray can, the charcoal basked on the PBC is fairly good and much better than the DIY charcoal grate and expanded metal solution, nice fitting lid with handles and a stand on the PBC compared to the garage door handles and myriad of lid/kettle lids available.
I think at $225 the PBC offers a lot for people that do not want to mess around tracking down barrels, removing liners and on and on. While I'm not going to put reversed engineered plans and information out on the PBC, it is unrealistic to believe that people wont try to copy it.

cinmur
01-24-2013, 09:13 PM
I see nothing wrong with asking people about their bbq projects on what works and doesn't,...I thought that was what forums are about....I just took an old barrel and threw some charcoal in it and was curious how many lbs. it took to keep a constant temp. for a good length of time.

PatioDaddio
01-24-2013, 09:14 PM
It would appear that there's sufficient rocket surgery involved to foil many
would be craftsmen, which is a good thing. :wink:

It kills me that it's "just a smaller UDS", yet it would appear that folks are
finding out that it's not. If it is a small UDS, just get a 30-gallon drum and
build a smaller UDS. Simple, eh?

John

jrn
01-24-2013, 09:43 PM
We've had discussions ad-nauseum, and perhaps you've noticed that
I've been ready, willing and able to answer questions. However, when
it comes to protected intellectual property and ethics I won't
compromise.

If it were your product and your livelihood on the line I doubt that
you'd be so open-minded. So, it really boils down to the Golden
Rule.

John

Fair enough John. But where did Noah get the idea to start building them? He had to start his research some where initially. You're passionate about PBCs, that's cool, and I respect that. Personally, the only reason I don't buy one myself is because I don't buy smokers. I build'em myself. Isnt that the essence of these style cookers (uds & pbc styles)? That they can be built easily and cheaply by anyone with minimal tools?

PatioDaddio
01-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Fair enough John. But where did Noah get the idea to start building them? He had to start his research some where initially. You're passionate about PBCs, that's cool, and I respect that. Personally, the only reason I don't buy one myself is because I don't buy smokers. I build'em myself. Isnt that the essence of these style cookers (uds & pbc styles)? That they can be built easily and cheaply by anyone with minimal tools?

To be honest, I don't know where Noah's idea or research began. Call him and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to discuss it.

As for the "essence" of drum cookers, I don't know about that either. However, let's replace the word "cooker" with "rub". How do you think the following would go over with honest folks here?

"Does anyone have the recipe for Plowboys Yard Bird rub? I want to make my own."

Playing devil's advocate, isn't the essence of BBQ rub such that anyone can make them with simple ingredients?

John

foam2
01-24-2013, 10:05 PM
To be honest, I don't know where Noah's idea or research began. Call him and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to discuss it.

As for the "essence" of drum cookers, I don't know about that either. However, let's replace the word "cooker" with "rub". How do you think the following would go over with honest folks here?

"Does anyone have the recipe for Plowboys Yard Bird rub? I want to make my own."

Playing devil's advocate, isn't the essence of BBQ rub such that anyone can make them with simple ingredients?

John
I don't think PBC has anything to worry about with the shade tree mechanics and DIY'ers of the world making a smoker for themselves. Those people were never their target audience. Some will hit, many will miss. What is far worse is having cheap mass produced knock offs from China - they would impact PBC's business and I wouldn't want to see that happen to anyone.

jrn
01-24-2013, 10:34 PM
It would appear that there's sufficient rocket surgery involved to foil many
would be craftsmen, which is a good thing. :wink:

It kills me that it's "just a smaller UDS", yet it would appear that folks are
finding out that it's not. If it is a small UDS, just get a 30-gallon drum and
build a smaller UDS. Simple, eh?

John

Yes I think it is simple. It's somewhat insulting to insist that thousands of people can build a uds, but throw in a couple of pieces of rebar and a powder coating and they will be lost? Come on! I make a living building things with my hands.

As far as putting my money where my mouth is , I intend to do just that. I've checked on prices for PC'ing, pretty cheap actually. Rebar? It's on every job I go on. Same for the 14" pipe. Most of the pipe fitters I know would glady give me such a small piece, even cut it for me. Welding the basket? Yeah I can do that too. And unlike the pbc's, I'd actually weld around the entire basket, not a spot weld here and there. Putting holes in the barrel? I know how to use unibits and hole saws, been using them for years as an electrician. Hooks? I could use stainless rod, bend it, then sharpen with a grinder. But to be honest, I'd probably order those, possibly from PBC.

Lets see, anything else? Oh yeah you like to mention that the owners a veteran. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 17. Joined during war time. Desert Storm. Does that count? And I wont need anybodies number on the side, being as I built it. Patented? Personally my intakes would be just like on my uds, ball valve and 1 or 2 close nipples w/ pipe caps. At that point the patents not an issue anymore, is it? Plus I could adjust on the fly, instead of looking for a screwdriver.

As far as any morality issue is concerned that might prevent me from building one, again Noah didn't invent them. He did like everybody else does. Researched it, then took what he thought were the best ideas, and then implemented them. Tested the prototype, then continued to build and tweak them till he was satisfied.

Now, tell me again why I couldn't or shouldn't build one? Then again, isn't Noah a member here?

Jason

PatioDaddio
01-24-2013, 10:41 PM
When have I said that the PBC is complicated and/or hard to build?

It's not an ability thing, it's a wisdom and ethics thing. Can you do
what you outlined? Sure. Can you do it for $225, I'd say no way. Your
time, like others', isn't free.

As for the patent issue, the patent is on the meat hanging method, not
your mack daddy intake system. You might do well to investigate before
spouting platitudes.

John

dadsr4
01-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Clone builds are part of this site. If questions about building a Stumps clone, Lang clone, Backwoods Clone, and others are OK, PBC clone questions are too.

NavarreQ
01-24-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm sorta new to to the site, Do all thread's get derailed like this ?

PatioDaddio
01-24-2013, 10:53 PM
OK, I've wasted enough time trying to inject some reason here.

Y'all have fun!

John

jrn
01-24-2013, 10:55 PM

John

John are implying that everybody here that has built a uds is dishonest? Btw, you never addressed the question about your uds's. Youre telling me you didn't follow the threads here to build yours? Why didn't you buy one? Do you consider that dishonest? As far as rubs go, I make my own simply because I know what I like.
Your a little overzealous with the whole pbc thing. I can assure you I'm not the only one here that's gotten a little tired of you claiming how everybody with a differing opinion is wrong.

Jason

jrn
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=NavarreQ;2341047]I'm sorta new to to the site, Do all thread's get derailed like this ?[/QUOTE

The PBC threads tend to :)

jrn
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
When have I said that the PBC is complicated and/or hard to build?

It's not an ability thing, it's a wisdom and ethics thing. Can you do
what you outlined? Sure. Can you do it for $225, I'd say no way. Your
time, like others', isn't free.

As for the patent issue, the patent is on the meat hanging method, not
your mack daddy intake system. You might do well to investigate before
spouting platitudes.

John

Man you sure evaded the uds question huh! I wonder why?

There's nothing new about hanging meat John and you know that. I'm done too. I apologize to the original poster. I apologize to any brethren who may have been offended. But my opinions still stand, and I meant every word.

Jason

Bludawg
01-24-2013, 11:08 PM
I find this all so petty, the original commercial UDS was and still is the Big Drum Smoker.I don't see to many mentioned because they are over priced and I don't see anybody whining about all the home built ones. As much as I believe in buying American made products I can see some serious profit to be made taking a PBS off shore. I might just have to buy one and Ship it over there to start a company might be the best 349.00 investment I ever made. That is capitalism at it's best!
Mean while back at the ranch Granny is still beating off the the Indians.

javahog2002
01-25-2013, 12:08 AM
OK, I've wasted enough time trying to inject some reason here.

Y'all have fun!

John

If I didn't know better, I would think you might be an investor in the PBC company.

The PBC cookers look great. Noah did not invent the UDS or hanging meat in a smoker on hooks.

All through BBQ history cooks have dug holes to build pits, welded scrap oil field pipe to make offset stick burners, used scrap 55 gallon drums to make UDS smokers and lately used old Weber smokey joes / tamale pots to make WSM Minis. Experimenting and building different pits is half the fun of the BBQ hobby.

Chill out up there in Idaho.

N8man
01-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Unlike, oh I don't know, posting a recipe to replicate a well loved famous filleted chicken sandwich?!?
I had a higher regard for you John, and have enjoyed your contributions to the forum in the past, but your response in and of itself has me reevaluating that. If you didn't want to answer the OP's question, that's fine, but don't make statements like this. I think it was callous, uncalled for and not very Brethren like.....but that is just my opinion...take it for what it's worth....Just sayin'...

Remember me saying "slippery slope" in one of those other Pit Barrell threads?
You sir are dancing on it....

It's pretty crass to ask on a public forum how to copy a commercial product. Just sayin'...

John

Trumpstylz
01-25-2013, 01:45 AM
I definitely saw some threads like this on the BGE thread where people wold say "what do you think of the Kamadojoe/Akorn/Primo" and someone mad would respond with "this is the bge forum. have some respect."

I can kinda see both sides of the situation.

And I definitely do not think PatioDaddio has any vested stock in PBC. He is a fire proven member of the community, but i do think he takes it personally and is just appreciative of the product (and he probably feels attached to it- he was kinda the one who introduced it to all of us and is partly the reason we're talking about it right now). He seems to be good friends with the people at PBC, and thats a good thing in a niche industry as small as this. Plus, I might feel the same if some one said, "how do i clone a kettle?", and I can assure you I have absolutely zero stock in weber products- I have just come to appreciate them, and would definitely defend it if need be.

In all seriousness though, I'll probably try one out and see for myself. I could *probably* build something simlar for less than 225 (probably not better), but I'm not that handy when it comes to building things (although i can gerry rig anything), so I'll probably just go with the surefire thing and buy one.

Garrett
01-25-2013, 05:08 AM
It should flatter the Noah dude that folks are trying to build a cooker like his.

I know Stumps thinks its pretty cool. I've heard that anyway.

Johnny_Crunch
01-25-2013, 06:09 AM

John

Commercial product? A barrel with rebar? If the PBC guy was worried about it getting copied maybe he should have built it out of something we can't all find at a scrap yard.

stephan
01-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Not trying to rekindle a fire but when someone say "protected intellectual property"
are they saying a patent was issued or is it pending? For an invention to be patentable it must:
be statutory,
be new,
be useful, and
be nonobvious.
As far as intelectual property is concerned I think the whole Idea of the PBS is neat but I would be hard pressed to say its original and innovated. But unless you never copied a CD, VIDEO GAME, DVD, a song off the radio or bought a movie off a street vender. I would not be to inclined to accuse someone of stealing intellectual properties.

javahog2002
01-25-2013, 09:01 AM
And I definitely do not think PatioDaddio has any vested stock in PBC. He is a fire proven member of the community, but i do think he takes it personally and is just appreciative of the product (and he probably feels attached to it- he was kinda the one who introduced it to all of us and is partly the reason we're talking about it right now). He seems to be good friends with the people at PBC, and thats a good thing in a niche industry as small as this. Plus, I might feel the same if some one said, "how do i clone a kettle?", and I can assure you I have absolutely zero stock in weber products- I have just come to appreciate them, and would definitely defend it if need be.

PBC does seem to have an advertisement(or link) at the top of the PatioDaddio site next to the reasonable facsimile of a Chik-Fill-Eh sammie recipe.:shocked:

16Adams
01-25-2013, 09:08 AM
"rekindle" ??? I do love subtle humor. Here's my FWIW opinion. Just the wife and I and we have 8 active various cookers. Just scored a Cobb Pro unused for 50$. My cookers, smokers and grills are our entertainment. Kids live 400 mi away. Sitting on the patio with a red beer in all types of Texas Panhandle weather smoking and grilling almost all our food. We have been in one restaurant since Thanksgiving. To me the PBC is an excellent "entertainment" value. I'm thinking seriously of obtaining a PBC just because it can be had for the cost of a sushi dinner and a tank of gas for the suburban. And the entertainment will last years.

pigdog
01-25-2013, 09:32 AM
And there is an Patio Daddio advertisement on the PBC site as well.

swamprb
01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
WOW!!

This reminds me of beginning of the end of the Big Drum Smoker forum back in 2007 and the start of the Ugly Drum Smoker thread.
I had been a lurker on that site before you had to become a registered owner to participate, and people like Norcredneck and others got BANNED from that site for asking "investigative" questions. Nowadays you could visit any of the other BBQ Forums out there and a UDS thread is going on as well.
I'm no Rocket Surgeon, (or blogger) but admit to being partial to the BDS's, and for the most part owners of the real thing have been very cool about sharing specs, that I wasn't able figure out for myself (take a look at the BDS Smoker page-the specs are literally jumping out at you http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm) And I really don't see anybody jumping down Sterling Ball's throat for selling Big Poppas Drum Smoker kits either.

This could be the start of the Ugly Pit Barrel (UPB) thread--who's with me???

SmokinJohn
01-25-2013, 09:47 AM
There's a guy in Kauai that cooks chicken using some "less than 55 gallon drums". I asked if I could look inside to see if and how it differed from a UDS. I saw three slots for the cooking rods, and NO fire basket. Without having looked inside of a PBC, my guess is that the fire basket is the only difference.

My guesstimate for the amount of charcoal/wood in there was this:

1 1/2 Weber chimneys of charcoal and and 8" by 3" piece of wood.

rexbbq
01-25-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree. FYI - The website is void of any notice of patent or patent pending and therefore I it appears that the pit barrel does not have any sort of intellectual property protection. In order to have protection one must provide notice (through a patent or patent pending number or TM notice) that they have or are acquiring protection. Maybe someone who has one can look at their unit to see if there is a number on it but from the website alone there is no showing of protection.
Not trying to rekindle a fire but when someone say "protected intellectual property"
are they saying a patent was issued or is it pending? For an invention to be patentable it must:
be statutory,
be new,
be useful, and
be nonobvious.
As far as intelectual property is concerned I think the whole Idea of the PBS is neat but I would be hard pressed to say its original and innovated. But unless you never copied a CD, VIDEO GAME, DVD, a song off the radio or bought a movie off a street vender. I would not be to inclined to accuse someone of stealing intellectual properties.

I am not providing any legal service or help and it is not intended as professional counsel and should not be used as such. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

Carbon
01-25-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm sorta new to to the site, Do all thread's get derailed like this ?

No, most do not, but this sort of thing happens from time to time with most any public forum.

BobBrisket
01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Let's do this. All of this discussion is valid. Opinions are encouraged, but they must also be respected.
Noah is not here to speak for his product. If you have specific questions, ask him. You can also ask those that have one. All we ask is that your respect their answer, whether you like it or not.
The little side jabs need to stop too. Not Brethren like and those jabs turn into full on punches and that makes work for us. It's Friday. We don't want a mess to clean up.
Lastly, if someone is willing to stand up for a product and promote it, that's allowed too. Heaven knows that happens quite often on the forum with products people believe in. Nothing wrong with that either!
It's gets complicated when the product owner does the promoting. At that point, it becomes something else.
Bob

bbqbull
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Moderator note. Please read our rules again. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14685.

This is an outline of what you CAN’T do.

Advertise,
**Insult or Flame others..
Racism, slurs, prejudice, bigotry, vulgarity, or offensive language stricly forbidden
Post any type of porn or other illegal materials
Air dirty laundry. If u have an issue with another member or staff, take it private.
Use our email or PM to send spam
Use our e-mail or PM to promote other forums and blogs

Thank you in advance.

Will work for bbq
01-25-2013, 11:20 AM
There's a guy in Kauai that cooks chicken using some "less than 55 gallon drums". I asked if I could look inside to see if and how it differed from a UDS. I saw three slots for the cooking rods, and NO fire basket. Without having looked inside of a PBC, my guess is that the fire basket is the only difference.

That's how they've been doing it up here in Norcal for years (55 gal drum, no slots, no fire basket and no intake other then the gap created by the rods) and yes they are Ugly.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Q-TADO/garbagecans.jpg

jrn
01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Man those are cool! I notice there's no temp gauges. Those cookers take k.i.s.s. to another level. I wonder about what temp they cook at?

BobBrisket
01-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Go back and read the two MOD NOTES! Thanks! Now the thread has been scrubbed. Now it's become work. We just stated, DON'T MAKE WORK FOR US! Got it? Good:mod:
Remember what I said about "jabs!"

Bob

Will work for bbq
01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Man those are cool! I notice there's no temp gauges. Those cookers take k.i.s.s. to another level. I wonder about what temp they cook at?

No idea what temp they are running, I've suggested to them to put a thermo in the side and they basically laughed at me. Next time we go camping I'm going to stick my thermapen in the gap to see the temp.

I hung two Tri Tips in my 22" WSM with no water pan, a half fire ring of wicked good lump and some KB to get them started on a minion burn, used my Guru to maintain 290* (rock solid). The Tri Tips came out better than I had expected but next time I'm gonna try 300* to 325*

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Q-TADO/hangers_zps46098c63.jpg

SmokinJohn
01-25-2013, 12:14 PM
No idea what temp they are running,

It's funny you mentioned Norcal, because that's where the guy in Kauai was from.....hmmmmmmm....coinkydink?

And he had no external gauge. He did have one of the chef thermometers that slides in your blouse/apron/chef top.......I didn't want to press him for more data in case he thought I was coming out there to give him a run for his money.

Ron_L
01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Mod Note:

Once again the THREE mod notes are being ignored. NO MORE JABS AT OTHER MEMBERS OR PERSONAL ATTACKS!

BBQchef33
01-25-2013, 01:46 PM
I am am going to add to this and put an end to the drama.

This forums goal is knowledge sharing. Period.

I got a call from a friend yesterday.... Phil, what size tires on on your jeep, i never thought he was stealing Chrysler/Jeep designs.

What are the dimensions of the firebox on my Klose Backyard chef?? What is the shape of of the diverter in a hondo, or the boiler door on a jambo...Or does anyone know if Plowboy uses Cumin in his rub? Questions like this are asked 1000's of times here.

Are we really expected to avoid these questions, or remove them?
NEVER.! Those are unreasonable expectations for any public forum. Without sharing our information and our ideas we would be nothing.

There is no business owner worth his salt that does not expect their ideas or products to be replicated, duplicated or fabricated. This forum specifically has 2 other 'pirated' forums which duplicates our content verbatim and claims it their own. Just today, i was informed of someone using our logo and claiming they designed it, whereas I have the evolution of our logo going back 10 years and have it registered with the patent attorneys office. Its inevitable the minute your design hits the streets that someone will want to copy it. Information that can be gotten by walking into lowes with a tape measure is not protected by any means, registered or not. Weber cannot hide the fact that the kettle is 22 inches and its not wrong to ask someone to measure the grate in their kettle.

The idea of homebuilt knockoffs and the search for information is all over this forum, always will be and is 100% impossible to police or avoid, and would be a mistake to discourage. We have had discussions about backwoods, spicewines, stumps, langs, klose, komodos and BGE.. EVERYONE OF THEM HAVE COMMON COMPONENTS, AND each one stands on its own.

Granted that if asking for all the nitty gritty details of a cooker openly stating your going into business is at the least, in poor taste and may face discouragment, but we are not the USPTO, and cannot stifle or discourage the ingenuity and curiosity of our members. Home built pits are just as much part of BBQ as is home made rubs. We cant police every question and we cant stifle the flow of information.

Bludawg
01-25-2013, 02:19 PM
SO..... Can any one tell me the size of the intake hole and how much of the hole is covered???

Freddy j
01-25-2013, 02:21 PM
I hung two Tri Tips in my 22" WSM with no water pan, a half fire ring of wicked good lump and some KB to get them started on a minion burn, used my Guru to maintain 290* (rock solid). The Tri Tips came out better than I had expected but next time I'm gonna try 300* to 325*

paul , seeing how youve cooked with rack & hanging in the wsm, can you tell a difference of the cook quality?

i've heard some reports that hanging gives the meat a more consistent cook. Also, I've seen some photos of smoke houses and they use a netting (of some sort) to hang the meat.

Will work for bbq
01-25-2013, 03:52 PM
paul , seeing how youve cooked with rack & hanging in the wsm, can you tell a difference of the cook quality?

i've heard some reports that hanging gives the meat a more consistent cook. Also, I've seen some photos of smoke houses and they use a netting (of some sort) to hang the meat.

The cook quality was outstanding, I'd say better than a reverse seared TT (tenderness, moistness and juiciness). I pulled them at 135 internal and it was a nice med rare from center almost all the way out (maybe 3/16" of gray on outer edge tops).

In the barrels my BIL cooks in he also uses fish grilling baskets to hang where it isn't possible to hang the item on the hooks (potatoes, corn, small pieces of meat etc). Just remove the wood on the handle and modify the latch (ask me how we know this :tsk:).

http://566.katomcdn.com/566-06051p_large.jpg

jrn
01-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Paul,

I'm curious. Being that there's no charcoal basket, how does your BIL recycle his charcoal for the next cook? I guess the next day you could empty it out and seperate ash from charcoal. Do you know how he does it? I'm really getting interested in you bil's style of cooker.
Jason

Will work for bbq
01-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Yeah they just pretty much let the coals burn out. I've tried to talk them into making a charcoal basket with an ash pan that they can just lift out and they think I'm nuts.
In fact they call my WSM a "pretty boy smoker" which is cool with me because it not only rocks but it can also do what their "garbage cans" (that's what I call theirs) can.

Nate749
01-26-2013, 10:35 AM
SO..... Can any one tell me the size of the intake hole and how much of the hole is covered???

I cant believe you would still ask that? I mean honestly I know imitation is the biggest form of flattery but really? Why don't you call Noah and ask him and see if he tells you, or better yet just buy one and measure the freak out of it and go through the hassle of returning it and then be honest about returning it and make your clone. Im not chopping on you but since Noah isn't on here to defend himself I think someone kinda should.

Put it this way.. How would you feel if you had to train someone at work and I mean train them give them all your little tricks tips and insight and bam you were released from your position and you never saw it coming and now that person is reaping from the knowledge you gave them. Thats how I look at it.

I have never met or talked to Noah or Patio but I understand why this tread made him upset.. He reviewed and I also reviewed this cooker and others also not to brag and say this is better than anything else out there. I liked it because it was simple and easy to use. I love BBQ and this site has made me a 1000% times better at it but lately with my schedule I needed an easy cooker to continue to enjoy bbq and this seemed like it was it. And it worked for me.

I'm not trying to offend or stir the pot, I am a new guy here and I like it here but I believe respect for someone else's product goes a long way. I feel directly copying someones product is a cheap shot.. but thats just me

jrn
01-26-2013, 10:48 AM
My understanding is that the moderators have no problem with the topic of this discussion. Their concern is that its done in a courteous, civilized, respectful, and Brethren like manner. :)

pigdog
01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
See post 46, Nate749

Carbon
01-26-2013, 11:12 AM
IMO, I think questions regarding building details of this cooker should have been handled through PM's to begin with, considering the nature of the product, without stepping on someone's toes. That's what I would have done, if looking for specific dimensions, for instance. Just sayin'....

Toronto
01-26-2013, 11:39 AM

John

You also should consider PBC's are only sold in the US and some people dont have the option to purchase one.

Freddy j
01-26-2013, 11:44 AM
The cook quality was outstanding, I'd say better than a reverse seared TT (tenderness, moistness and juiciness). I pulled them at 135 internal and it was a nice med rare from center almost all the way out (maybe 3/16" of gray on outer edge tops).

In the barrels my BIL cooks in he also uses fish grilling baskets to hang where it isn't possible to hang the item on the hooks (potatoes, corn, small pieces of meat etc). Just remove the wood on the handle and modify the latch (ask me how we know this :tsk:).

http://566.katomcdn.com/566-06051p_large.jpg

That basket is a great idea, thanks for the tip.

Carbon
01-26-2013, 11:55 AM
I like the hanging basket idea too. I'll try that and the hanging ribs on the UDS.

jrn
01-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah I'm digging the basket. Great idea!

BBQchef33
01-26-2013, 12:03 PM
I cant believe you would still ask that? I mean honestly I know imitation is the biggest form of flattery but really? Why don't you call Noah and ask him and see if he tells you, or better yet just buy one and measure the freak out of it and go through the hassle of returning it and then be honest about returning it and make your clone. Im not chopping on you but since Noah isn't on here to defend himself I think someone kinda should.

Put it this way.. How would you feel if you had to train someone at work and I mean train them give them all your little tricks tips and insight and bam you were released from your position and you never saw it coming and now that person is reaping from the knowledge you gave them. Thats how I look at it.

I have never met or talked to Noah or Patio but I understand why this tread made him upset.. He reviewed and I also reviewed this cooker and others also not to brag and say this is better than anything else out there. I liked it because it was simple and easy to use. I love BBQ and this site has made me a 1000% times better at it but lately with my schedule I needed an easy cooker to continue to enjoy bbq and this seemed like it was it. And it worked for me.

I'm not trying to offend or stir the pot, I am a new guy here and I like it here but I believe respect for someone else's product goes a long way. I feel directly copying someones product is a cheap shot.. but thats just me

Did u not read our stance on this or are u choosing to ignore it?

Please read or re-read my previous post.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

landarc
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
To those wondering about Paul's backwoods in-laws and their no charcoal basket process in a UDS, it works fine, I have seen and cooked with a team that opts not to use a charcoal basket all the time. They use charcoal and wood, bank the fire against one side, open that vent, which is a 1.25" pipe nipple and light it up. The charcoal draws air through that inlet just fine. They use a simple ball valve, like many of us on a UDS and adjust that way. It is actually no worse for cleaning out, and if your drum is tight, the fire smothers fine and the charcoal is dumped out, raked a bit and can be reused. I think the basket makes it nicer, but, it is just one more thing that has to be made and maintained in their eyes.

jrn
01-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Cool! Thanks landarc.

Something that crossed my mind. My drum source rarely has open tops. So at that point I'm a closed top, weber lid kinda guy. We know sometimes a weber lid fits one's drum, but a lot of times either the drum or the lid has to be modified to fit properly. I was thinking if one was to lay the rebar on top of the drum, like Paul's BIL, then a weber lid would sit atop the rebar right nicely. No mods necessary! Plus if one already has a uds, then they could easily swap between hanging the meat or using cooking grates, at their discretion. Two styles in one! Jason

Bludawg
01-26-2013, 02:57 PM

:blah::blah::blah::Cry::Cry::Cry:so I guess when you get over yourself I can have the measurements???:becky:

Nate749
01-26-2013, 04:11 PM
I have gotten over myself along time ago actually. I guess it is just the different creed of men we are.. Yes I read post#46 I just honestly didn't think anyone would be so blatant. Nothing wrong with a little good conversation.. right Bludawg?

jrn
01-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Bludawg,
Just looking at pictures it appears to be 3" or 4".

Nate,
While I can't speak for Bludawg and others participating in this discussion, I am under the impression that nobody is interested in building an exact copy of the PBC. I suspect that they, and certainly me, are more interested in discussing what makes the pbc "tick", if you will.

The first step in any build is research and planning, right? Thats all we're doing. Personally, if my intent was an exact copy, then I WOULD buy one, and copy it. PBCs are built the way they are because the owner thought that's the way they should built. As a person who has been building things all my life, I've got my own ideas on how it should built. And that's how I will build it, MY way.

So at that point the PBCs are nothing more than an inspiration, not a blueprint.

Jason

flyingbassman5
01-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Who the fark cares!?:shock:

I'm gonna steal the UDS idea but take my barrel, cut it in half, and lay it horizontal on a home made stand. Then just to tick everyone off, I'm gonna call it a Lang!!! Mwahahaha!

See my reasoning? Anyone can build a 30gal uds with a 3 inch intake and two pieces of rebar. Use some stainless hooks to cook the meat over a 12" diameter fire basket, have the option for a grate, and all heck, I'll get it powder coated black too with horseshoe handles to match. With all that, what do I get???? A 30gal UDS with rebar, 12" fire basket and stainless hooks with a 3" intake that's powder coated black and has horseshoe handles...

What makes that different than a real Pit Barrel Cooker from the Pit Barrel Cooker Co.????????

The name brand......:tsk:
No matter how much I would want that cooker to be a real PBC, it will never be. Unless of course I ripped the name brand badge of another one!:heh:

Bludawg
01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
The only reason I asked is so I don't under size it I like to do it right the first time. Now If I can find a used drum I'll be all set. I can get a new one but being the frugal person that I am I'm coming up empty. I may have to bite the bullet and spend the 90.00 for a new one.

landarc
01-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Cool! Thanks landarc.

Something that crossed my mind. My drum source rarely has open tops. So at that point I'm a closed top, weber lid kinda guy. We know sometimes a weber lid fits one's drum, but a lot of times either the drum or the lid has to be modified to fit properly. I was thinking if one was to lay the rebar on top of the drum, like Paul's BIL, then a weber lid would sit atop the rebar right nicely. No mods necessary! Plus if one already has a uds, then they could easily swap between hanging the meat or using cooking grates, at their discretion. Two styles in one! Jason
I think you are going to want a tighter fit than what I think you are proposing will give you. But, maybe not, in any event, the trick is going to be that you want at least as airtight a fit as on a Weber kettle (which is not all that perfect actually). The key in any build, of any smoker, is air control. You simply have to be able to control how much air is getting to your fire to control the heat. (except with a pellet cooker, that controls the fuel feed and heating element that ignites the pellets)

Freddy j
01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
I think you are going to want a tighter fit than what I think you are proposing will give you. But, maybe not, in any event, the trick is going to be that you want at least as airtight a fit as on a Weber kettle (which is not all that perfect actually). The key in any build, of any smoker, is air control. You simply have to be able to control how much air is getting to your fire to control the heat. (except with a pellet cooker, that controls the fuel feed and heating element that ignites the pellets)

If he CAN get the weber lid to work though, that would sure give some nice clearance for turkeys and such.

landarc
01-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Yes, my UDS has a Weber lid, and it fits just fine. It all comes down to the drum.

Freddy j
01-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes, my UDS has a Weber lid, and it fits just fine. It all comes down to the drum.

IMO that's like having the best of both worlds, bet your pullin off some sweet cooks on that one.

jrn
01-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Basically it would be exactly like Paul's bil's set up, except instead of a regular barrel lid, just setting a weber lid on the rebar. Shutting off both intakes and exhaust. And letting the gap that the rebar creates between the barrel and lid be the exhaust/ intake. I would just use a regular lid, but I don't have one.

16Adams
01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Remember the dude laying bleeding in the concrete and Harry Callahan has the SW Model 29 leveled at his brain housing group, and the conversation about how many shots had been fired. Dude on the ground tells Harry, "I gots to know". Well I gots to know too. Just ordered a PBC. C-note+ discount and free shipping. A freak'n men.

Flat_Rate
01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Remember the dude laying bleeding in the concrete and Harry Callahan has the SW Model 29 leveled at his brain housing group, and the conversation about how many shots had been fired. Dude on the ground tells Harry, "I gots to know". Well I gots to know too. Just ordered a PBC. C-note+ discount and free shipping. A freak'n men.

To be fair its more than a c-note, that said I would like to have one, but not for $329.

BBQchef33
01-26-2013, 10:37 PM
225$ shipped to your door if you use the kingsford discount code.

16Adams
01-26-2013, 10:40 PM
The discount is more than a c-note +

landarc
01-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes, the UDS that was given to me by some of the Brethren was a wonderful gift and does a great job of cooking for me.

Pitmaster T
02-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Speaking of crass I have also been very busy making a video so that anyone with a file and a pair of pliers can fashion themselves one of those patented hooks that PBC has. They are great... possibly the best thing about the product... I mean that. But of course, why by all the stuff that surround the hook when you can make the hook for yourself for your variable intake UDS.

STEALING is about as American as stealing a Black man's invention of a steam engine automatic oiling device and saying he couldn't possibly have invented it because he is black.... hold it... that really did happen.

jestridge
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Way I figure it if a picture is posted it fair game for me too build, I went to the website and it would be very simple to build BTW I carry a tape measure just in case if I come across something I want , I have took many measurement at Tractor Supply or Lowes

J-Rod
02-01-2013, 08:14 PM
@cinmur- I don't know how much coal they use, but maybe try starting with 8-10 lbs for long cooks and go from there. Remember it's not rocket science, it's oil drums, meat and fire. Wait- after reading entire thread, maybe not...:-P

swamprb
02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
...so is the intake vent 3" or 4"???

Pitmaster T
02-01-2013, 09:37 PM

John

Apparently he misses the entire point of ripping someone off... because you do not want to buy one...

One... this IS a PUBLIC forum... I believe we all steal from everyone... someone else has already pointed out once again that means you too. But on this product, which you got free by the way, you seem to be a bit militant on your defense of the originality of the product. Hell, its not yours!

I hope the mods are enjoying their PBCs and all I care about is seeing some good vittles pictures of their cooks (with top secret parts dedacted in the photo of course) sheesh... this crap was going on even before I went into the hospital.

Two... No

THIS is Crass!

flyingbassman5
02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
:blah:

This nonsense again......oy. :roll:

BBQchef33
02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
The issue of home building has been addressed. Period.

1-stay on topic
2-dont push buttons or be an ass
3-ignore this and be banned.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pitmaster T
02-02-2013, 01:24 PM
...so is the intake vent 3" or 4"???

Ron L the Mod just got one and measured it. I saw it in another thread ... its 3.5 inches... the hole is.

Ron_L
02-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Ron L the Mod just got one and measured it. I saw it in another thread ... its 3.5 inches... the hole is.

Actually it was Ron_L the plain ol' ordinary BBQ Brethren member :-D