PDA

View Full Version : 10 Things Your Butcher Won't Tell You

BrooklynQ
01-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Interesting article about meat and meat processing (http://www.smartmoney.com/10things/index.cfm?story=november2005). The most interesting thing to me was the discussion about natural, free range and organic.

BobberQer
01-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Intersting article BQ.. thanks for sharing...

The one that got me is this>>>

To counteract the lack of flavor, most processors get around the problem by injecting beef, pork, chicken and turkey with saline, which often reaches 15% or more of the purchasing weight.
Meat processors argue customers want preseasoned foods, which taste better and save cooking time. <<<<

just another way for a wholesaler to charge meat prices for water and vegatable soluables ...in my opinion

they are so correct.. I asked th butcher at my and Smokers Waldbaums for tri- tip .. ya wudda thught I asked him for Martian shish ka bobs:eek: glorified stock boys theses days. it 's a shame

BrooklynQ
01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I rarely buy meat at the supermarket. We still have real butchers in Brooklyn. They're getting harder and harder to find unless you go the hallal or Kosher route. But that rules out the pigs.

LDOJYD
01-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Fat chance of that here in San Diego, maybe Mexico but hell, no tellin what you get there

Sawdustguy
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks Rob for sharing that article. There are some eye openers there. I only buy meat from a butcher shop but also pay through the nose for it.

BBQchef33
01-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Americans are consuming more meat than ever. In 2004 we ate over 221 pounds of meat and poultry per person, up from 199 pounds in 1990.

Ya think WE have something to do with that?? A couple bashes a year can raise the national average of meat consumption a few percentage points. :wink:

CharlieBeasley
01-10-2006, 06:34 PM
After seeing the amount of Prime Rib a couple of BBQ notables and friends can devour in thirty minutes or so I'm surprised it is so low?

ZILLA
01-10-2006, 08:11 PM
It's all an alarmist plot by PETA to overthrow the world as we know it. PETA will then force everyone to own a rescued Greyhound and eat Tofu under threat of High-colonic therapy. Damn those animal activists! :evil:

Smoker
01-10-2006, 08:49 PM
It's all an alarmist plot by PETA to overthrow the world as we know it. PETA will then force everyone to own a recued Greyhound and eat Tofu under threat of High-colonic therapy. Damn those animal activists! :evil:

How long do I smoke a rescued Greyhound? Does it matter which side up?

qman
01-10-2006, 09:12 PM

Most of them are so skinny they only have one side:shock: Feed them some MEAT to fatten them up first, then smoke them. Asian mod, with nam pla, maybe a Flipino Adobo.:-D

MilitantSquatter
01-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the article Rob...

Once or twice a month I shop at Whole Foods Market in Jericho, as it's about 15 miles from me and it's expensive. However, the quality is noticeably better in many respects and a nice change of pace...

The article mentioned the well trained butcher staff at Whole Foods. A month ago, while shopping there, they had beautiful brisket flats in the case. I was curious to try a brisket that was naturally raised without the drugs etc. I asked the butcher, who looked experienced, if they can get a "Packer Cut" Brisket. He looked at me oddly. I then had to say " You know, a whole brisket with the point on top of it !" This was a guy who was most probably a butcher for a while in one of the other supermarket chains and went to Whole Foods for the pay and/or benefits. The old time butcher shops are still the best. Pat's Prime Meats in Malverne is a very good one on LI. Family business for over 45 yrs. They are very courteous and know their stuff...

As far as cleanliness goes for the backrooms, I have no experience there other than a one week period working for a uniform delivery company in college. I recall my second day walking into a Waldbaum's going to drop off clean meat coats and then to pick up the used ones. They old ones were the most vile smell I have ever experienced. About 20-30 meat coats laying in a basket right next to the table the did cutting on for about a week, blood stains, chunks of meat all over etc. The pile was so high, the bacteria infested coats were laying on the table. Needless to say, I recall having to drive with those coats in the back of a truck for 6 more hours.

Smoker
01-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Most of them are so skinny they only have one side:shock: Feed them some MEAT to fatten them up first, then smoke them. Asian mod, with nam pla, maybe a Flipino Adobo.:-D

Will Do....I lived in Thailand and my wife is a Filipina!!!!!

Smoker
01-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Vinny...

Farmingdale Meat MKT Inc
210 Main Street, Farmingdale
(516) 249-8200

Excellent place and good prices.

racer_81
01-10-2006, 11:16 PM

First, you have to catch the damned thing.....

BrooklynQ
01-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Pat's Prime Meats in Malverne is a very good one on LI. Family business for over 45 yrs. They are very courteous and know their stuff...

Pats is an excellent place and will do special orders as well. I bought some Kobe brisket there in the past. But he's VERY expensive.