PDA

View Full Version : PitPopmaster T Need Help with UDS Brisket LOw and Slow

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:21 PM
I finished my first UDS (actually my third but the other tow were sold before I ever used them) and have a tri level treated 11 pounder on since 7. I have been setting the ring at around 200.... so...... what can I expect if I set this puppy to smoke at under 220 until 7 in the am.... too long? I am sure there will be a fade at 5 PM to maybe around 180....

thoughts?

BBQchef33
01-19-2013, 11:28 PM
think its gonna be done sooner.. you get radiant heat from a uds and things cook faster. An 11 lber may be done before 12 hours.

Smoothsmoke
01-19-2013, 11:29 PM
That's why you should get a PBC. It has predetermined intake vent so it runs at a steady pace, like a robot. Takes the human element out of it. :rolleyes:

jmoney7269
01-19-2013, 11:29 PM
UDS+BBQ guru = cooking @ any temp you want and not settling for what temp the pit cruises at. I thought you were a Hott and fast guy? What's with this low and slow stuff?

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:31 PM
I had a stroke (TIA) so now I am low and slow.

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Phil... what if it never leaves 200

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:32 PM
I hate this ****... I want to farking sleep.

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:34 PM
UDS+BBQ guru = cooking @ any temp you want and not settling for what temp the pit cruises at. I thought you were a Hott and fast guy? What's with this low and slow stuff?

Yeah... although I am using the stoker to monitor... I have not got the coupling ready for my fan.

BBQchef33
01-19-2013, 11:40 PM
if you wanted to sleep, what are you doing putting a brisket in at 7PM? You're in for the long haul brudda. My bet is around 4AM.

chriscw81
01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
Nothing will stop this man from cooking!

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:45 PM
sonofabitch... I thought I would learn again why low and slow was silly AFTER I cooked it not before I went to bed. Grrrr. At Least I can Sleep until 3-4.

Bludawg
01-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Ramp it it up to 300 and let 'er rip Mo heat Mo Betta Mo sleep

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:50 PM
naaa Bludawg... the stroke has made me reconsider Hot and Fast. Its too hot and too fast... as well as stupid. MY UDS is gliding at 208... and don't give me back my own words about that "nothing happens under 213" BS, either.

I made a firebasket that will smoke this UDS for 19 hours at 230..... so...... I need to find something big enough to utilize that capability I guess.

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:52 PM
Boys and I do a tri level Brisket - YouTube

My boys are finally getting into BBQ and cooking. Little Joey is the cook though I bet.

Pitmaster T
01-19-2013, 11:53 PM
take notice of what brethren name I make the boys repeat

I like how I am wearing sanitary gloves then taste the shizzle sauce and drop the spoon back in the dish. niiiice

PatioDaddio
01-19-2013, 11:55 PM
That's why you should get a PBC. It has predetermined intake vent so it runs at a steady pace, like a robot. Takes the human element out of it. :rolleyes:

Yup, exactly! :wink:

John

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Last of the Tri Level with the boys - YouTube

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 12:10 AM
okay, so the consensus is... well... actually Phil says it will be done early. I will wake at 3- and check it I guess... nite yall

I wish I had of put the clay diverter in already.

Boshizzle
01-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Boys and I do a tri level Brisket - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXDhyCjRjPI)

My boys are finally getting into BBQ and cooking. Little Joey is the cook though I bet.

That's so awesome, bro! Enjoy these times with your boys! The greatest time of my life was when my kids were growing up. My youngest just started college this year. Some of my best memories is of them when they were at the age of your boys!

Awesome cook, too. And, I will be watching this thread with great interest. Can't wait to see how the brisket turns out! And, get some sleep, too.

gtr
01-20-2013, 12:25 AM
It doesn't matter how you cook it or how it turns out. I just wanna see a detailed graph later.

JS-TX
01-20-2013, 12:51 AM
cool vids! My 5 yr old boy insists on helping me whenever I Q too. It's fun for both of us. What are brushing on brisket?

Boshizzle
01-20-2013, 12:53 AM
cool vids! My 5 yr old boy insists on helping me whenever I Q too. It's fun for both of us. What are brushing on brisket?

It looks like something from the BlackHwawk recipe. :razz:

gtr
01-20-2013, 02:05 AM
"You make a mess...because I see it...you're still my daddy" :laugh:

Farking great stuff right there - that's where it's at. :thumb:

caliking
01-20-2013, 03:28 AM
If you aren't using the stoker's fan you may have ro kick the drum around 2am or something to shake the ash off. The temp controllers just power through that early am temp drop so you get more sleep.

Garyclaw
01-20-2013, 06:17 AM
Whip out your probe, Donnie! It's Briskey Time!

trufunk
01-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Nice video of course better to see you up and about Donnie! Keep funkin on the 1!!

chriscw81
01-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Last of the Tri Level with the boys - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgUDg-A9cpc)

Awesome! I was watching this video on my phone with my 2 year old sitting next to me. I think the sound of your boys got his attention and he started watching with it with me. He saw the brisket and started saying "barbeque Dada, barbeque"! I'm starting his training young. :mrgreen: have fun, bro!

boogiesnap
01-20-2013, 08:27 AM
naaa Bludawg... the stroke has made me reconsider Hot and Fast. Its too hot and too fast... as well as stupid. MY UDS is gliding at 208... and don't give me back my own words about that "nothing happens under 213" BS, either.

I made a firebasket that will smoke this UDS for 19 hours at 230..... so...... I need to find something big enough to utilize that capability I guess.

someone tell me this is a hoax...my world is beginning to collapse. :drama:

oh and BTW, the obligitory, is it done yet???

nice way to spend the afternoon with the kids.

Johnny_Crunch
01-20-2013, 08:29 AM
That's great!

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 09:33 AM
It doesn't matter how you cook it or how it turns out. I just wanna see a detailed graph later.

Yeah I am PISSED off because my Stoker is not linking to my computer either hard lined or through my game adapter. I have the right IP address in there and it keeps saying "Failure to connect."

I am very happy with the steadiness.

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 09:36 AM
The FOUR AM Grind

Phil - Grandpoobah says wake up at 4 - YouTube

So for the first time I bet in what seems like a decade, I wake up to check a damn brisket. I am out of my element. He says it should be ready at 4. He also says it serves me right for putting the thing on at 7 PM. Duh!!!! I am not a happy camper.

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 09:39 AM
4 AM Check - YouTube

Meat at Four A.M.

Imma Scared...

I have been poking fun at asshats every time they come in here saying "helppppppp, my brisket is ruined." Now I get that feeling.... must be in our genes.

But is it ruined?

Internals are not quite 155. Basically, I am feeling the panic for a second or two many people do when they start blindly poking around. Parts feel burned, tough, dry.... but are they? Knowing the brisket is only at 150 helps you. I wrapped it up with NO liquid, in paper then foil (just because I was worried about the paper burning because I do not have an isolator between my meat and my fire. I ramped the temp up to run between 230 and 250. Next check 4 hours.

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 09:45 AM
8 Am Check.

8 AM check and Hold - YouTube

chriscw81
01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
You'll be back to hot and fast before you know it :mrgreen:

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Brisket at 8 AM - Revived and ready for a long rest - YouTube

Here is the Brisket. Typically people rest it on the counter or in the cooler then slice. My process (which I got from Kreuz when it was Smittys - Blacks, Taylor Cafe.. all those big legendary brisket houses) rests the brisket for a long time. The fat in between those layers is filled with a bath of three things the meat fibers love to take a bath in, fat, collagen and moisture). A brisket can feel like it has lost all its moisture then pop back.

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 10:06 AM
You'll be back to hot and fast before you know it :mrgreen:Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well.... I have not tasted or even sliced it yet. Now in this video you hear me mention the "heat."

My Rub combination is optimized for my purposes, which was full blown no wrap until its done and ready for resting.

Because of the nature of the smoker (I have not added a diverter yet) I decided it would be best to wrap it. This keep the black pepper from transforming into that earthy flavor. So, it retained a lot of its heat. Not a bad thing just different. I probably will tweak the Tri rub blends for UDS.

I can see me putting this same brisket on at 7 AM at 270, wrapping in paper at maybe noon, doing a rest/cook at 220 until 3, then 170 rest for serving at 5 or 6. But then again, the UDS is variable and not a pre-set job so you can do that. I really like my one inch pipes too.

Bludawg
01-20-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm tired just watching that painful process I hope you trip and hit your head in your weariness jar your brain and come back to your senses,,,, Nap time.

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm tired just watching that painful process I hope you trip and hit your head in your weariness jar your brain and come back to your senses,,,, Nap time.

Actually, I think its more a timing issue. Phil let me know that... but I did it this way because I was excited about the new UDS (my first one I actually got to use) and my boys needed to see it put on before they went to bed so they could wake up and see what happened overnight.

I will next time dress the meat up at 8 to rest, probably fire the pit up at 10 and put on the meat after Two and a half men, (11:00) for a stable 230 cook, then wrap in the morning for my long rest at 170... in the pit of course. So far, my UDS cranks real well at 150 to 180 too. Must be the 1" pipes and couplings (essentially those TANDEM valves, black iron and elbows with U Bolts set me back around 95 alone. TWO inch inch hole with a refrigerator magnet would be fine too. Then there is the whole stoker thing too.

Now for a Kale shake to prep for the day.

Bludawg
01-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Glad you enjoying the UDS I am still amazed at how well they cook. I call mine the Magic BBQ machine;
Meat goes in stiff and cold and comes out hot & wet & limp and all it has to do is just lie there for hrs. I fell guilty like I'm cheating every time I look at Beulah sitting there watching all cold with no meat in her box. :heh:
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/UDS/uds009-1.jpg

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Glad you enjoying the UDS I am still amazed at how well they cook. I call mine the Magic BBQ machine;
Meat goes in stiff and cold and comes out hot & wet & limp and all it has to do is just lie there for hrs. I fell guilty like I'm cheating every time I look at Beulah sitting there watching all cold with no meat in her box. :heh:
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/UDS/uds009-1.jpg

The wife marvels how mine, still at my age and after my problem this week, that as you can see from the video, mine cames out stiff hot and wet. Of course, it was ready and willing to be put back in the box again. Hold it, what are we talking about?

jeffjenkins1
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Glad it worked out. My UDS is my favorite cooker, probably because I built it myself and it holds temps nicely. I'm thinking about naming it with a different acronym and selling them, of course mine won't be a UDS because, well, I said so!

Jeff

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 11:15 AM
i have two innovations myself, as well as the hook thing these things have had since the 1940s, that i'd like to market..... but i need purple powder coat and a local texas brotha to go in with me. none of those innovations are on this uds.

N8man
01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
nice cooker you got there D....

Boshizzle
01-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Brisket and UDS look really good!

BTW - Here is a link with some really good brisket cooking tips you may want to check out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109807

triplezip
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
UDS's are built for brisket, but I've spent a few nights babysitting the ball-valve. I think the Guru advice on this thread is legit... Can't wait to optimize the UDS, get a good nights sleep and wake up to some perfectly cooked brisket.

Bludawg
01-20-2013, 12:51 PM
If' you have to baby sit it your not doing something right. I set mine and walk away the only time I have a big temp flucation is when it is running out of fuel at about 20 hrs up or down 10 is tolerable over the course of a cook.

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 01:25 PM
If' you have to baby sit it your not doing something right. I set mine and walk away the only time I have a big temp flucation is when it is running out of fuel at about 20 hrs up or down 10 is tolerable over the course of a cook.

Don't get me wrong... my UDS is spot on as far as I can tell where the therm is.... 210 when I set it at 8:30, 208 when went to bed, 207 when I woke up at 4, cranked it to 230.... near that range at 8 in the am.

Still holding now at 170-180 with the briskey in it.

So the only reason I was up was because Phil said it would be ready. It wasn't ... I had it set that low because I was worried about temp versus being over the fire, so.... it wasn't ready, but I am damn sure glad I think I wrapped it as it may have dried a bit. I need a stack.

jonboy
01-20-2013, 01:47 PM
What was the black glue you used in the first video?
jon

bigabyte
01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Why the fark didn't you jsut put it in the farking microwave?:confused:

---k---
01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Why the fark does your UDS have two ball valves? Sounds like someone didn't stick the the plans. :tsk:

Rich Parker
01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
I wish Donny 2011 would come back... Please destroy that drum before you ruin it for everyone else. :tsk:

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 02:37 PM
What was the black glue you used in the first video?
jon

3 parts Molassas, one part soy, one part Ballistic Vinegar.

Spell check made that ballistic instead of Balsamic.... i like it like that.

i brush my birds with that near the end.... turkeys too.... for that Italian look.

Shizzles thread a while back made me think upon it... not bad drizzled on some good quality ice cream either sans the soy and reduced.

Bludawg
01-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Trade Double Secret Probation Proprietary Info. Pitmaster "T" eyes only! Lay a strip of foil on the grate before placing the Butcher Parcel on the grate.

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Why the fark does your UDS have two ball valves? Sounds like someone didn't stick the the plans. :tsk:

yes 98 bucks worth of ego ...lol it also allows me to closer control my higher temps.

jasonjax
01-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Posts like this remind me how much I love my pellet poopers.

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Posts like this remind me how much I love my pellet poopers.

Wide open my UDS fires up to 470... oddly the old paint is not burned off.

jasonjax
01-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Wide open my UDS fires up to 470... oddly the old paint is not burned off.

Indeed. Wide-open my PP hits 900* and since it is stainless steel no burnt off paint.......

However, I imagine I'd spend a lot of dough in operating costs like repaints before I'd catch up to my capital investment delta.

However, good sleep at my age is priceless.

Maybe I'll get a stick-burner when I retire. :-P

Q-Dat
01-20-2013, 04:51 PM
So are you actually gonna eat this thing at some point? :p

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
So are you actually gonna eat this thing at some point? :p

To, jasonjax.... did I say 450... uh.. I meant 1450 degrees. No, I have ONLY two holes and plan to add that third so I think it will go higher with a third hole. I assume you have four 3/4?

Now to the brisket itself. Mom and I just ate it. We used to have this tradition we are starting again. I make a meat dish and she goes and buys some sides. Relaxing and stress free for all of us.

UDS - Brisket Cut Up - YouTube

The results are peculiar for my first UDS brisket. I had to rest it a long time due to my serving time and perhaps should have taken it out of the "heated rest" an hour or two earlier for some people's texture standards but I liked it. NO SMOKE ring and I am not sure what that was about as it went in cold, and smoked for at least 4 hours at 207. No part was burned like I thought it would be. It was moist. So.... the only weird thing was no smoke ring. A few things I can tweak but as you can see, still has my trademark jiggle. The fat was like my usual way.... defined by many as "BBQ Meat Mayonnaise."

Boshizzle
01-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Looks pretty good to me! Nice job with that UDS! :clap:

MilitantSquatter
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
what kind of wood, and how much,did you include with the charcoal ?

(you did have some wood in there right ???) just want to make sure the meds are not farking with you...

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 08:22 PM
yeah.... much pecan.... I think its Boshizzles Jizzle's fault... odd thing was.... there was a pale diffused ring THROUGH the fat and on the meat under that.... typically thats the area I never have a ring.

Bluesman
01-20-2013, 08:23 PM
typically thats the area I never have a ring.

You better get yourself checked..............Jus sayin'

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 08:34 PM
You better get yourself checked..............Jus sayin'

Not a pink fat ring... but through the fat and lightly diffused under it.

Boshizzle
01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
I never have trouble getting a smoke ring with my UDS (injection tracks are a flavor enhancer too) -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=290&pictureid=2359

pigdog
01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
I don't get much of a smoke ring on my barrel either. Especially for brisket.

chriscw81
01-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Gentlemen! If it had the smoke flavor you wanted who cares about a smoke ring?!?
:mrgreen:

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I never have trouble getting a smoke ring with my UDS (injection tracks are a flavor enhancer too) -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=290&pictureid=2359

I added that Shizzle inspired paint of 3 parts molasses, one part soy, one part Ballistic (balsamic) vinegar.... ... I could see it in the meat at the end.... kind of that electric smoker look... brown.... I wonder if something in that made it chemically impossible to make the ring? I miss the days of 88 cent choice briskets when you could just go and buy a couple and find out. Grrrr. I know u used molasses..... just wondering.

Boshizzle
01-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Here is a Blackhawk brisket cooked on my Keg which is basically an insulated UDS. Nice smoke ring. Doesn't look like it was cooked in an electric cooker to me.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=326&pictureid=5853

So, it's possible to get a good smoke ring with the BH recipe. This is my latest BH brisket cooked on my Jambo. Nice smoke ring all around.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=450&pictureid=6909

This is the first chunk of beef I cooked on my UDS. It had a very wide smoke ring.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=290&pictureid=2100

I think you should look elsewhere for the problem. But, I know that if anyone can fix the problem you experienced this time, you are the man for that job.

So, fix it already!

JS-TX
01-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Celery salt has natural nitrates... :idea:

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Jesus, its like I said "PBC Smokers suck."

The "electric cooker look" I referred to is MY brisket cook today, not your's.

Apparently you are VERY sensitive about your stuff. I am eliminating variables and no... I do not have to look elsewhere... I can, as you know, make one call on this bagphone and the three men with laser scopes parked outside your home at all hours will get out of their 87 Crown Vic and bust your door down, and rifle through your papers and documents at will and there is nothing, not a damn thing you can do about it!!!!!

Seriously, regarding the smoke ring I think it could have been the Balsamic Vinegar or soy??? neither of which you use nor I have never used on a brisket. I have used charcoal and pecan, know the temp of my brisket when it went in, the rub hasn't changed, I ALWAYS do a 200 degree two hour smoke to set the ring.... I just found it weird. It even could be those three things... all so dark together, that blocked the ring.

So no.... if you value your life... I won't look elsewhere and unless you help me figure this out Bo.... well... there is always the discipline of bullets and lasers to persuade you.

Ahhhh... I still got it!

I think the red tinge passed the fat cap was weird as I rarely get that.

Here is a Blackhawk brisket cooked on my Keg which is basically an insulated UDS. Nice smoke ring. Doesn't look like it was cooked in an electric cooker to me.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=326&pictureid=5853

So, it's possible to get a good smoke ring with the BH recipe. This is my latest BH brisket cooked on my Jambo. Nice smoke ring all around.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=450&pictureid=6909

This is the first chunk of beef I cooked on my UDS. It had a very wide smoke ring.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=290&pictureid=2100

I think you should look elsewhere for the problem. But, I know that if anyone can fix the problem you experienced this time, you are the man for that job.

So, fix it already!

Boshizzle
01-20-2013, 11:10 PM
I know, bro! That's what makes me so nervous! I have a wife and daughter at home these days. I can't be seen being frog marched out of the house in my underwear at 2am in the morning!

Bludawg
01-20-2013, 11:13 PM
I have experienced a Smoke ring similar to what you described cooking on the UDS, It was the only time I ever used KBB (it was all I could get) and pecan. L&S 220-225. using Lump I always get a ring.
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/Brisket003a-2.jpg

jmoney7269
01-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Pour some TQ to it next time and quit cryin about the smoke ring! :crazy:
Lol it's funny how people say that smoke ring don't matter, but when they don't got one, it's all "where is my smoke ring!" and when they got a good one it's all heavenly, so apparently the smoke ring does matter. Now if you can just convince them dang kcbs judges otherwise. Seemingly they teach people that smoke rings are bad :blah:

Pitmaster T
01-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Pour some TQ to it next time and quit cryin about the smoke ring! :crazy:
Lol it's funny how people say that smoke ring don't matter, but when they don't got one, it's all "where is my smoke ring!" and when they got a good one it's all heavenly, so apparently the smoke ring does matter. Now if you can just convince them dang kcbs judges otherwise. Seemingly they teach people that smoke rings are bad :blah:

One...that picture about using the KBB and pecan is EXACTLY what I got. \

Two the quote above is my favorite quote of all time. Made me laugh cuz thats exactly how I feel. betrayed by my body and betrayed by the apparent loss of my BBQ mojo Voo Doo.

Its not like a pork butt, which as everyone knows,l I can pull out of cryovac, slap and the bone magically falls out.

for truefunk (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvbmwk_prince-brisbane-aftershow-guitar-highlights_music#.UPzHFvIyOSo)