PDA

View Full Version : Do you get less smoke flavor when you brine????

Erin
01-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Hello My Wise Brethren,
I have brined pork, chicken and turkey (all at different dates), smoked 'em for 2 hrs and turn it up to finish. Each time I have brined I have noticed very little smoke flavor comes through. However, when I just use smoke, turn it up to finish I have wonderful smokey flavor. I use a Traeger Lil' Tex Elite and usually hickory, but have used various pellets as well.
Has anyone else found this to be true as well?
Thanks,
Erin

tish
01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Not sure about the results of smoke with a wet brine. But if you're not getting the desired smokey results, you might want to try a dry brine. My dry-brined Thanksgiving bird had plenty of smoked flavor.

grantw
01-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Do you put it in wet? Maybe give it a good scrub with paper towl first?

Wampus
01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
I haven't noticed brining affecting the smoke flavor.

Erin
01-17-2013, 11:18 PM
you might want to try a dry brine. My dry-brined Thanksgiving bird had plenty of smoked flavor.[/QUOTE]
......I've never heard of dry brined. I will look into that. Thanks!

Erin
01-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Do you put it in wet? Maybe give it a good scrub with paper towl first?
I do dry it off. Should I dry it off and then let it set in the fridge for awhile so it dries more?

landarc
01-17-2013, 11:25 PM
Good to see you posting Erin, LTNS. I believe a brined bird should take smoke well as it is moist skin. I used to buy brined birds that were smoked. But they were smoked at low temps for hours.

For the past couple of years, I apply a good rub and let the bird sit overnight. Wrapped in a ziplock bag. Some call this dry brining.

landarc
01-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Good to see you posting Erin, LTNS. I believe a brined bird should take smoke well as it is moist skin. I used to buy brined birds that were smoked. But they were smoked at low temps for hours.

For the past couple of years, I apply a good rub and let the bird sit overnight. Wrapped in a ziplock bag. Some call this dry brining.

landarc
01-17-2013, 11:26 PM

landarc
01-17-2013, 11:28 PM

landarc
01-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Well, that went well, can we delete the multiple posts?

Erin
01-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi to you too Landarc. It turns out that I have dry brined years ago without knowing it. I did it with a huge prime rib back in my "kitchen oven" days. It was really delicious. When I first started smoking and cooking on my TraegerI was told not to let salty rub set too long on meat because it draws moisture out. Come to think of it I think this was in regards to pork ribs. So, I've not done it since because it made my ribs dry.
What type of recipe do you use for dry rubbing chicken and other things? Nice to see you are still here too. I fall into a rut of forgetting my password, giving up and just searching old posts for information. Fortunately this MAC I am on happened to "remember" me so I was able to press on with my question/post. Thanks for you help, Landarc.

Erin
01-17-2013, 11:52 PM
BTW, I thought the multiple posts were funny

Titch
01-17-2013, 11:58 PM

ground Hog day:biggrin1:

MS2SB
01-18-2013, 12:00 AM
I'm smoking on a lol Tex and have had no issues with getting smoke into meat regardless is brined or not. Though I suppose it depends on how smoky you want things. If you want things smokier perhaps keep the temp low for longer before putting the spurs to it.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

landarc
01-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Actually, my simplest process is to use either Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy, or Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, apply it moderately heavy and wrap the chicken up so there is as little air around the chicken as possible. Any normal salt content rub will work.