PDA

View Full Version : My smoker needs a blanket....brrrrr

Stevesonfire!
01-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I want to either make or buy a blanket for my smoker. Being able to cook even in frigid temps is the goal.
Does anyone use a blanket? If so, what do you use and what is the material of your blanket?

Thanks..

accuseal
01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
I made one using a welding blanket from harbor freight. Added a layer of 3-1/2" fiberglass isulation from Lowes over half of the blanket. Folded over the other half and stiched it together with nylon zip ties every 3 or 4 inches. Works like a champ. Total cost $40 bucks.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

BBQ Bandit
01-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Make sure of the blanket you choose is 100% natural fibers.

That poly/synthetic blends do melt... not a pretty sight.

alane
01-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Some people use the welding blankets from Harbor Freight.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
01-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I bought a "military emergency rescue" blanket off of ebay for $15. Natural fibers, flameproof to over 500 F. Nice size and worked well on my offset!

Bludawg
01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Build a bigger fire.

Deeg
01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
What about a hot water heater blanket? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202710039/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hot+water+blanket&storeId=10051#.UOuMgNHQQiQ

Meat & Heat
01-07-2013, 10:29 PM
I used a fiberglass type blanket from my buddy's welding shop.
They use it to wrap weled flages to control the cool down.
Worked great, I was doing a prime rib and briskett for them for christmas.
It was 1 out when I started the cooker, got it up to temp and was adding wood every 30 min or so and running it hard.
Put the blanket on and within two mins the temp had jumped 5 degrees.
I was then able to run it like I normaly do even though it only got to 20 that day.

Offthehook
01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Move to California, it was 72 today.

HankB
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
I used a fiberglass type blanket from my buddy's welding shop.

Does that have the problem that some (I) have with handling fiberglass insulation? Namely fiberglass fibers making my arms itch like crazy.

BBQchef33
01-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Welding blanket. Have used mine for years and works perfect..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=welding%20blanket&Nty=1&D=welding%20blanket&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&cm_ven=google_PPC&cm_cat=Welding+2&cm_pla=generic&cm_ite=welding%20blanket&mkwid=sLiAcA1Ys&pcrid=20422961471&mt=b

JohnHB
01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
I had an opposite problem with my BBQ. It is built in & too close to a glass mosaic backing. As it is a double skin I inserted insulation material (about 1/2inch thick) into the cavity and it retained the heat. Should give you the same result. The material was made for kilns & can withstand exceedingly high temperatures- I recollect it wasn't cheap.

vafish
01-08-2013, 09:41 AM
I want to either make or buy a blanket for my smoker. Being able to cook even in frigid temps is the goal.
Does anyone use a blanket? If so, what do you use and what is the material of your blanket?

Thanks..

I use a water heater insulation kit on my uds.

JimF
01-08-2013, 09:50 AM
I went to harbor freight looking for a welding blanket and they didnt have any. So I bought moving blankets. Turns out they are pretty thin and melt when they get hot. DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS. Anyone want to buy two?

Arlin_MacRae
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I went to harbor freight looking for a welding blanket and they didnt have any. So I bought moving blankets. Turns out they are pretty thin and melt when they get hot. DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS. Anyone want to buy two?

I don't know - how big are the remaining pieces? :laugh:

I'm using a welding blanket on my Traeger. The north wind clobbers it.

Porcine Perfection
01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I am not sure how well this would work for a WSM or UDS. Has anyone tried one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Army-Rescue-Survival-Mylar-Foil-Emergency-Disaster-Sleeping-Bag-/230799251416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item35bcb517d8

Meat & Heat
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Does that have the problem that some (I) have with handling fiberglass insulation? Namely fiberglass fibers making my arms itch like crazy.

Yeah, but I had a coat on.
Still got a little itchy but it was free at the time, looking into some welding blakents for comps and such.
We do a comp up in northern CO in the summer and it can get into the thirties at night.

va92bronco
01-08-2013, 10:09 PM
I use a old comforter from a king size bed. Been meaning to line the bottom with a welding blanket, but it works great for my smoker. I cut out the areas where it goes around the counter weight pipe and exhaust. then sewed the seams back. Works great and looks custom made (which it is I guess). The smoke has turned the back brown in a several places, but I could care less.

RX2006JE
01-08-2013, 10:36 PM
I use 2 of the welding blankets from harbor freight stacked on top of each other then put a moving blanket over that. Works great. As mentioned before you can't just use the moving blankets by themselves unless you want to scrape it off your pit.

thirdeye
01-08-2013, 10:57 PM

I've used the heavy felt-like movers blanket but they take on a lot of water if it's snowing. I borrowed a wool fire blanket from work and liked it so much I ordered a couple of wool blankets from a surplus store.

BAD324
01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
With the frigid temps here and my desire to smoke more I think I'm going to look at the welding blanket route too

aawa
01-09-2013, 10:38 AM
PWA runs non-insulated UDS's off wicked good weekend warrior lump in -43F weather in AK and puts out some great looking food. No blankets needed according to him.

thirdeye
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
PWA runs non-insulated UDS's off wicked good weekend warrior lump in -43F weather in AK and puts out some great looking food. No blankets needed according to him.

Probably more than the outside temp, it's the wind that affects my drums. When I blanket them I fold together until I have a 20" or so wide piece, three layers thick. I wrap this at grate level, not at the firebox. You can see a blanket above the center rib in this photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%2015/12-16-12019aaaa.jpg

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Yeah, but I had a coat on.
Still got a little itchy but it was free at the time, looking into some welding blakents for comps and such.
We do a comp up in northern CO in the summer and it can get into the thirties at night.

Sissy!

accuseal
01-12-2013, 01:54 PM

Welding blankets are made from fiberglass cloth that has been heat treated. All the little fuzzy stuff has been burned off so it wont get into your skin and make you itch.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

h20loo
01-13-2013, 07:11 AM
what smoker are you trying to wrap?
I use silver bubble wrap from Home Depot on my drum(been using the same piece for 5 years) and it gives me a 30 degree bump in grate temp.
My Egg only gets an umbrella when it rains.
My stick smoker doesn't get nuffin cause its a sunny day, get the whole clan, buddy. And I like looking at it as much as cooking on it.

1dusty00a
01-13-2013, 07:49 AM

Gotta agree with Jim!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE MOVING BLANKETS!!!! Besides Melting They WILL ruin the Paint on Your Smoker and definatly make it an UGLY Drum Smoker

Dusty

Cayman1
01-13-2013, 10:25 AM
How about an old army blanket?

---k---
01-13-2013, 10:30 AM
I use a welding blanket from Harbor Freight. Folded over and wrapped around does really well. I don't think it takes much insulation. Tip, don't use bungee chords to hold it on. They will melt. I need to pick up some tie downs with ratchets on them.

For ribs or something like that, I can do without the blanket by lighting a bigger fire and using more fuel. The blanket comes in handy for a 12 hr cook. I've done it without the blanket at -5*, but it used up all the fuel and needed refueling at like 10 hr.

Also, remember that wind is much worse that cold. So make sure your problem isn't the wind.