PDA

View Full Version : New BBQ Pitmasters ~ Ribs and Burnt Ends at the top of the hour

thirdeye
01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm getting all set to watch and learn.....

speedrcer1
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I missed last week, catching up right now.

djoseph74
01-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I love this season's format so far. Seems like it has more information, and less drama. Can't wait to see the KC style!

BobM
01-06-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm watching!

Sent from my Android phone.

Smoothsmoke
01-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Time to DVR Shahs of Sunset. :crazy:

thirdeye
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't think Stretch put enough rub on that point...

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
what station is this be on?

Outnumbered
01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Destination America. 1156 on KC Time Warner HD. Not sure about Dickinson, Texas.

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Dammit... its on when Maude is on.

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:17 PM
got it... why is pellet envy stacking wood?

MattG
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Did you see the fat in that point. Man that looks good.

Outnumbered
01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Anybody else ever been to Grinders? It's greasy, fatty, trashy and not all that good. IMO.

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
tough meat... hmmm

thirdeye
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Did you see the fat in that point. Man that looks good.

Yeah it looks Wagoody

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:29 PM
ur head... thats outta control

Pitmaster T
whats wagoody?

thirdeye
I can smell the gasket from that Primo from here...

thirdeye
01-06-2013, 09:30 PM
whats wagoody?

thirdeye speak for Wagyu.

djoseph74
01-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Anybody else ever been to Grinders? It's greasy, fatty, trashy and not all that good. IMO.

I'm not chef, but watching him now, it doesn't surprise me. His approach seems bizarre to me.

Outnumbered
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
It's just become one of those trendy places that gets a reputation, but fails to even come close to expectations when you actually go there. But, hey, at least the hair makes it look good.

thirdeye
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Tim's and Rod's ribs look great...

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Jesus Pellet has some good brisket

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I like Pellets stuff so much I want to run by all his competitors and inject their temple with a injector full of acid for him. God that was a good brisket

Outnumbered
01-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Who's Jesus Pellet?

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Pellet BITCHES@!!!!!!!! Yeah!

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Who's Jesus Pellet?

When I admire someone... I screw up their real name. Its my thing.

Outnumbered
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Don't know who is going to win, but I'm pretty sure Grinders is out.

Pitmaster T
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Whoa Tim's meat was a dancin in Myron's Mouth!!!!

thirdeye
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
This episode will go down as The KC Hero or Zero show....

Outnumbered
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
This show has just lost so much credibility with me. They have a restaurant on here as a Pitmaster and there is not even BBQ on the damn menu. Fark!

We have Smokin' Guns, Oklahoma Joes, Sparky's in Kearney, Wabash in Excelsior Springs, and a dozens of other restaurants who have comp teams. And they pick a damn shop that serves grease to people with nose rings.

http://grinderspizza.com/index.php?/grinders/menu/

djoseph74
01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
This show has just lost so much credibility with me. They have a restaurant on here as a Pitmaster and there is not even BBQ on the damn menu. Fark!

Hop on YouTube and watch their auditions. You'll understand why they're on TV. It has nothing to do with BBQ. This is entertainment.

thirdeye
01-06-2013, 09:54 PM

Don't know who is going to win, but I'm pretty sure Grinders is out.

Yep, I think you called that one...

Wampus
01-06-2013, 09:55 PM

Looks like that's how he cooked on the show too! :laugh:

wjwheeler
01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Congratulations to Rod & Sheri Gray!

MattG
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Rod and Sheri nice job. Great looking food.

chingador
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
that Grinders guy is a bit of a clown, no? It takes real talent to keep dirty white smoke billowing out of a Primo for that long of a time. They would have been just as good taking a guy off of the street and given him a Traeger and a bottle of KC Masterpiece

Wampus
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
We just shot our audition video for next season yesterday. It would be so kick arse to get on the show. They're looking for 2 man teams for next season. We shall see.

djoseph74
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
that Grinders guy is a bit of a clown, no? It takes real talent to keep dirty white smoke billowing out of a Primo for that long of a time. They would have been just as good taking a guy off of the street and given him a Traeger and a bottle of KC Masterpiece

I really hope they don't have another episode with a dude like that. It really put a damper on the whole episode.

SmokinSlowPoke
01-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Yeah its embarrassing to anyone from KC that they pick someone with such a lack of talent to represent the KC BBQ scene. His entire entry was pathetic. I dont understand that at all.

djoseph74
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
I've been looking around online for the TrueBud BBQ Sauce. Is that for sale locally in KC?

Smoothsmoke
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM

I bet the guys at Primo are pissed that the dude made a mockery of their cooker. I'd be pissed.

Hozman
01-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Yea I was disappointed that stretch was one of the 3 to represent KC. I think he made the show because he has been on food network a few times and also has a cooking show on the animal network I believe. Been nice to stick with the "common" joe and get some real bbq instead of a Hollywood want to be.

Groundhog66
01-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Just finished watching...Grinders was a complete joke, but Pellet Envy knocked it out of the park!

Bludawg
01-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I was truly inspired and tomorrow morning I will go to my local store and buy up all the aluminum foil ribs, brisket, ketchup Brown sugar and a big container of cayenne pepper.When I get home I commence to Braising some KC BBQ on my stick burner........ Dam med pot!!

bover
01-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Congrats to Pellet Envy and Truebud. Y'all both represented us very well.

Icekub
01-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Yea I was disappointed that stretch was one of the 3 to represent KC. I think he made the show because he has been on food network a few times and also has a cooking show on the animal network I believe. Been nice to stick with the "common" joe and get some real bbq instead of a Hollywood want to be.

Not sure I would serve those burnt ends to my dog, either :razz:

CarolinaQue
01-07-2013, 07:52 AM
I must say that I have lost a lot of interest in the series this year. Seems like the authenticity of all aspects of the show have dropped a few rungs on the ladder in my opinion.

From the contestants that are being featured, to the fake, forced attitude that seems to be coming from Myron, and the contestants in the "pit" as they wait for the results. Not sure if I'll be watching another episode at this point. Especially after last nights episode. Stretch was so far out of his league and I don't understand why he was even there in the first place. Not even close to show casing the best of what KC has to offer!!!

chingador
01-07-2013, 08:00 AM
I bet the guys at Primo are pissed that the dude made a mockery of their cooker. I'd be pissed.

Yeah, it looked like he was very experienced with that cooker. I guess he left the D plates at home. He should have just brought the pellet pooper and left everything else at home.

The other two were rock solid and knew what they were doing. They could have matched up with any cookers from this season.

swinn
01-07-2013, 08:21 AM
They might as well have had subway or goodsense on there cooking q. The guy runs a sandwich shop for hipsters. Both the other guys put out some good looking meat though

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

gettinbasted
01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I must say that I have lost a lot of interest in the series this year. Seems like the authenticity of all aspects of the show have dropped a few rungs on the ladder in my opinion.

From the contestants that are being featured, to the fake, forced attitude that seems to be coming from Myron, and the contestants in the "pit" as they wait for the results. Not sure if I'll be watching another episode at this point. Especially after last nights episode. Stretch was so far out of his league and I don't understand why he was even there in the first place. Not even close to show casing the best of what KC has to offer!!!

It is mind boggling how they can have a hipster with a pizza joint represent the Kansas City bbq restaurant scene on the show. With that being said, True Bud and Pellet Envy are at the top of the game and I don't think they could have picked two better competition teams to represent our area.

As a competitor, when you see one of these guys roll in with their Jambos you know you had better step up your game to have any chance, and even if you do they will probably beat you anyway. "Ahhhh, man! Is that True Bud? Don't these guys ever take a week off?" Was often uttered as we walked around a contest.

There may be teams as good as them out competing but none better.

Plus both of their ribs looked fantastic!

The_Kapn
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Great showing by Rod and Tim in this one.

They gave a free class on how to cook championship brisket (point at least) and ribs.

This whole season has had a ton of cooking info compared to previous ones.
Of course, some demo's of what "not to do" as well 8)

TIM

CarolinaQue
01-07-2013, 11:45 AM
It is mind boggling how they can have a hipster with a pizza joint represent the Kansas City bbq restaurant scene on the show. With that being said, True Bud and Pellet Envy are at the top of the game and I don't think they could have picked two better competition teams to represent our area.

As a competitor, when you see one of these guys roll in with their Jambos you know you had better step up your game to have any chance, and even if you do they will probably beat you anyway. "Ahhhh, man! Is that True Bud? Don't these guys ever take a week off?" Was often uttered as we walked around a contest.

I don't disagree one bit in regards to the abilities of the other teams on this episode. It's just hard to watch some one get beat up on so bad that doesn't have a chance in a comp 'que setting. As good as the shows intentions might be to help Stretch out getting his restaurant's name on TV...he did himself no favors at this contest. And it seems to be a common thread on the show this year...2 accomplished teams and a restaurant team trying to get their name out there.

Militant83
01-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Congrats to Rod but with a name like Pellet Envy I would have asumed they would be cooking with a pellet cooker not that fine looking Jambo. I guess once you get on BBQ Pitmasters and win its time to market your rubs and sauces. Not bad advertising on national tv. http://www.eatbarbecue.com/

BBQ PD
01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=Militant83;2320042]Congrats to Rod but with a name like Pellet Envy I would have asumed they would be cooking with a pellet cooker not that fine looking Jambo. QUOTE]
I take their name as pellet guys are envious of their Jambo stick burner, but I could be wrong :becky: .

Militant83
01-07-2013, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=Militant83;2320042]Congrats to Rod but with a name like Pellet Envy I would have asumed they would be cooking with a pellet cooker not that fine looking Jambo. QUOTE]
I take their name as pellet guys are envious of their Jambo stick burner, but I could be wrong :becky: .

That could be :becky: either way he put out some good que

Muzzlebrake
01-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Everyone is focusing on Stretch who has a long background in TV and not much BBQ experience, but come on it doesn't get much better than Truebud or Pellet Envy. If those are not representative of the best KCBS cooks then I don't know who is.

Think about this for a minute too, Rod is a very personable guy but the Truebud crew as well as they can cook are not known for being the life of the party. Stretch on the other hand makes for great TV. I mean take a look at who everyone is focusing on, it's not the 2 incredibly talented comp cooks. It's the outlandish dude with a huge personality. Remember it's TV, if you wanted to see real contest BBQ you should have come down to The Royal when they filmed it and looked at the other 500+ teams that were there.

BTW in case you didn't know, Stretch hosted a nice viewing party at Grinders last night with all 3 teams there. Sure looks like everyone had a good time and to quote Rod, "last night didn't suck".

Muzzlebrake
01-07-2013, 12:26 PM

He used to, switched a few years ago and kept the name. Can you blame him about the timing of his product launch, Rod is a smart guy. This is his job, not his hobby and he has been making a very nice living at it for a number of years now.

shares
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
I took Rods class a while back - he explained that by the time he switched from pellets over to Jambo he had some name recognition equity and wanted to keep it. Can't say I blame him. We had a little time at the Royal to watch the filming when they got their coolers of meat and I'm glad to see PE won it.

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
So if we need some personality and talent to make the show, I'd like to see Pitmaster T and Bigmista tag team that joint?

JD McGee
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
I thought this one was entertaining at least...Stretch was outta control! :D. Congrats Rod!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Pappy Q
01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
If you think Stretch was bad wait till you see the Kentucky show....

Utah Jake
01-07-2013, 04:09 PM
[quote=BBQ PD;2320066]

He used to, switched a few years ago and kept the name.

Scotty Johnson put his FE100 that got him the Jack in strorage....now pulling around a Jambo.

Bigdog
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
[quote=Muzzlebrake;2320081]

Scotty Johnson put his FE100 that got him the Jack in strorage....now pulling around a Jambo.

Close. Rod used to cook with dual FE100's mounted to the back of his trailer. I believe he took them both off and cooks only on the Jambo, but I could be wrong about this. He may still cook some comps on the Pellet Pooper. Lately I have seen him cook only on the Jambo. It may also have to do with if he is cooking with his wife or not. When she comes with him, he usually used to trailer and the FE. But when he went solo, he took the Jambo. I haven't talked with him recently to see what he is cooking on but I think he is doing most or all comps with the Jambo.

Humm......not sure why it attributed that quote to Sean instead of Utah Jake???

BrewerDJ
01-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Just finished watching this on the DVR. Never been to Grinders but i glad he lost. And that's what the producers want. They want you to like some people and hate some people. Stretch came across as a real D-bag. Tim & Rod were fun to watch for how they cooked and their food looked AWESOME. Stretch didn't seem to much about BBQ. Never saw a pit on fire before. Tried to through around some culinary terms as well. I think he called it "O JUICE" once.

I do like the format this year. Season 1 was really fun to watch. 2 & 3 sucked. I actually forced myself to watch most of season 2 foolishly thinking it would get better. This is like the last episode of season 1. Johnny Trigg's Shootout.

Hawg Father of Seoul
01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Trubud are standup guys. Sure would like to stick that ever winning chicken up their $#@, but good folks.

SchatzSea
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Would've been fun to see Plowboys on there...I guess the producers were going for something with the Grinders guy (:crazy:), but they could've picked any of a dozen great comp or backyard cooks from around here to rep KC. Hell, I would've done it if they said please :razz:.

Oh well, it's still better than most shows on TV, I'll keep on watching!

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
01-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Kind of like when they put that scrub on season one.

Bigdog
01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Kind of like when they put that scrub on season one.

It may be that part of the formula is to have one of them be a **** up.:rolleyes:

Muzzlebrake
01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Would've been fun to see Plowboys on there...I guess the producers were going for something with the Grinders guy (:crazy:), but they could've picked any of a dozen great comp or backyard cooks from around here to rep KC. Hell, I would've done it if they said please :razz:.

Oh well, it's still better than most shows on TV, I'll keep on watching!

They wouldn't accept the YooHoo rider in Todd's contract :becky:

They filmed this @ the Royal in the middle of the Invitational teams, they couldn't throw a rock without hitting a quality KC area team. But what did their audition tape look like, it is after all a TV show.

You could almost make a case for feeling badly for Stretch. He has to go head to head with one of the few professional competition BBQ cooks and one of the hottest teams in KCBS. That's a tall order for any cook

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
01-10-2013, 12:17 PM
If you think Stretch was bad wait till you see the Kentucky show....

Haha it's going to be epic.

msu12181
01-10-2013, 02:40 PM
I had no idea who this Stretch guy was until last year at the Jack. He had his cape on walking around in the judging area and the MC started interviewing him. My father in law, who was with me,thought he was some local (ie Nashville) radio personality or something. I kindof ended up thinking the same thing. Believe it or not he was one of the judges at the Jack, if memory serves me correct. After watching Sunday night's episode and putting things together, I was stunned at how this guy is allowed into these circles.

Kind of makes me wonder...:confused:

CarolinaQue
01-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I had no idea who this Stretch guy was until last year at the Jack. He had his cape on walking around in the judging area and the MC started interviewing him. My father in law, who was with me,thought he was some local (ie Nashville) radio personality or something. I kindof ended up thinking the same thing. Believe it or not he was one of the judges at the Jack, if memory serves me correct. After watching Sunday night's episode and putting things together, I was stunned at how this guy is allowed into these circles.

Kind of makes me wonder...:confused:

Why wouldn't he be allowed in the circle of BBQ? He may be lacking some cooking skills in the technique's of BBQ, but that doesn't mean he isn't a cool dude to hang around and drink beer with.

msu12181
01-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Why wouldn't he be allowed in the circle of BBQ? He may be lacking some cooking skills in the technique's of BBQ, but that doesn't mean he isn't a cool dude to hang around and drink beer with.

I am not saying he shouldn't be allowed to BBQ. Heck probably no one would allow me either given my lack of credentials too. My point is that one would think that to be on BBQ pitmasters and to be a judge at the Jack, that his skills might be a little more refined than what was displayed on TV.

CarolinaQue
01-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Well...the producers seem to think that having characters like him around makes for good tv and better ratings I guess. Either way, it was a huge boost for his business I bet!

DubfromGA
01-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Stretch's superhero cape and victory lap was pretty far away from the other guys mindset. Pellet Envy and TruBud were obvoiusly very serious and putting it on the line....earnestly hoping they showed well and/or won.

Stretch was just a sideshow clown in that event. Good laughs, for some, I guess...but way away from the other two.

TrueBud and Pellet Envy seemed like dudes that would be good to hang with.

thirdeye
01-11-2013, 01:14 AM
I never wear my cape and tights when judging..... mainly because my Looney Toons flannel boxers would bunch up and make my butt look big.

GMDGeek
01-11-2013, 02:48 AM
I'm honestly enjoying this season a lot! Well I enjoy em all but this season they are giving more information and talking more about technique and processes. Good times!

wmarkw
01-11-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm honestly enjoying this season a lot! Well I enjoy em all but this season they are giving more information and talking more about technique and processes. Good times!

I agree. Most of us here know the ins & outs of BBQ but its nice and reassuring to here Tuffy, Myron & Aaron break down the process of bbq and know I'm doing it correctly. I'm doing a local contest next month and this show has been a big help.

jofprexus
01-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I finally watched this episode, and Stretch wasn't as bad as I expected based on this thread, BUT...

He had 3 truckloads of cookers, but I don't recall seeing him use anything but the Primo,

AND, that poor abused thing had what looked to be a 2" hole bored through the right side, just below the lower band. What was THAT about???

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
01-11-2013, 10:42 AM
AND, that poor abused thing had what looked to be a 2" hole bored through the right side, just below the lower band. What was THAT about???

He puts a can below it to catch his melting gasket seal. True story!

Teamfour
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Did anyone see the gravy separator that dispensed from the bottom? Any idea where to buy one?

Edited to add: I found it.

Amazon.com: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator: Kitchen & Dining

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
01-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Did anyone see the gravy separator that dispensed from the bottom? Any idea where to buy one?

Edited to add: I found it.

Amazon.com: Amco Swing-A-Way Easy Release Grease Separator: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Swing-A-Way-Release-Grease-Separator/dp/B0019EPMW2)

Found the same one at bed bath beyond.

Teamfour
01-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Another question related to the episode: is it possible to buy only a brisket point?