PDA

View Full Version : first time deckle off small brisket

Rolltide87
01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Fellow bbq brethren,

I'm cooking a deckle-off, small brisket for the second time (just remembered i did this before and it came out pretty tough). How long should i expect this to take? I've done whole packers before but I'm unsure how quickly I can get this done. Any thoughts?

thirdeye
01-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I cook my flats a little hot (300°) and do a wrapped finish, so that is 5 or 6 pounds right?? ..... My time would be 7 hours. Looking at my last log, it took me 4 hours on the pit to get to an IT of 160°, it was wrapped, and 2 hours later it was tender and I rested it for 1-1/2 hours.... mine was less than 5 pounds.

GARNAAL
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Fellow bbq brethren,

I'm cooking a deckle-off, small brisket for the second time (just remembered i did this before and it came out pretty tough). How long should i expect this to take? I've done whole packers before but I'm unsure how quickly I can get this done. Any thoughts?

that piece looks like a good candidate to make into some Pastrami!!
something like this..

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/65368_487771464588901_199561338_n.jpg

here a recipe I found here from a fellow brethren a while ago...
made some slight changes while using this as a base a couple of times and found it made a nice tender & very tasty Pastrami..
--------------
Beef Pastrami

Pastrami Dry Cure Ingredients:
1/4 cup Morton Tender Quick
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp granulated garlic powder
2 Tbsp ground coriander
This is enough for 4 – 7 pounds of a beef brisket flat.
-------------------------------------------------------

Pastrami Dry Cure Directions

Trim surface fat of an untrimmed brisket flat to ~ 1/8 inch, this is important so that the cure fully penetrates the meat; yet it leaves enough fat to keep the meat moist.

In a small bowl, mix Morton Tender Quick, sugar and remaining ingredients. Mix all ingredients well, making sure to break up any lumps of sugar, no matter how small. I found that the bare hands work best.

Rub mixture into all sides of brisket, and work it in well. (do not shake off any excess that is on the meat).

Next place brisket into a two gallon Ziploc bag; expel as much air as possible, and make sure the seal is secure. Refrigerate and allow to cure 7 days, turning the brisket over every 12 hours, or at least daily. After 7 days of curing, remove the brisket from the bag, and thoroughly rinse under cold running water. After rinsing, place the meat in a container and cover with cold water. Let the meat soak for 30 minutes, change the water, and let soak for another 30 minutes. This helps reduce the saltiness of the meat. Pat dry with paper towels and apply rub.

Dry Rub Ingredients
3 TBS. coriander seeds (4 TBS. if you don’t have white peppercorns).
2 TBS. black peppercorns
2 TBS. yellow mustard seeds
1 TBS. white peppercorns
2 TBS. of granulated garlic
Makes enough cure for one brisket flat.

Dry Rub Directions

Combine the first four ingredients, and coarsely grind in a spice grinder or coffee grinder. Pour ground mixture into a bowl, add the granulated garlic and remix. Apply the dry rub to the brisket generously, working the rub into the meat by pressing it in with the palms of your hands. Air dry overnight in the refrigerator before before placing it in the smoker.

Smoke, at 220 degrees F. Apply ~ 3 hours of smoke. I used a mix of Hickory and Mequite wood Chips until the internal temperature reaches 160 – 165 degrees F.

When the brisket reaches an internal temperature of 160 – 165 degrees F, take it out of the smoker.

Wrap the brisket in one layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil.
Wrap it in a towel, and place it fat-side up in a cooler for a couple of hours.

Remove brisket from the cooler and remove the foil and save. Wrap brisket in plastic wrap, and then wrap it in the foil you just saved.
Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 day, two is better.
When ready to eat thin slice the pastrami across the grain for a more tender slice.

I normally cut it all up with a meat slicer and vacuum pack portions and freeze.. it holds up very well for months like that.

landarc
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
You are not gonna go wrong following Thirdeye's advice. I would definitely cook it fast and finish in paper or foil. I would choose paper, but, there you go.

Smoker21
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
This looks perfect for the 4.5 pounder I just bought at Sam's!

JD

Bludawg
02-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Heres the secret WHEN IT"S PROBE TENDER IT"S DONE.