PDA

View Full Version : Ribs.... Wrap or not?

Ringburner
01-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Can someone point me in the direction of a thread regarding the above topic. I've always wrapped but I'd love to simplify my system.....

Sent from my Galaxy S3

gtr
01-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Can't think of any threads right off the bat, but I never wrap. What I do is put the rub on, let 'em sweat, throw 'em in the cooker at my preferred temp (270-290, maybe 300), cook 'till tender - can be 3 or 4 hours. I know they're tender a few different ways:

1)the bend test - pick 'em up in the middle and the ends flop pretty much straight down, but not falling apart - or grab 'em on one side and make kind of an "L" by lifting that side.

2)toothpick test - toothpick slides in with little to no resistance

3)twist a bone - if it's pretty loose, it's tender.

That's it!

Oh - look up barbafunkoramacue's (not sure if that's spelled right) "Hot and Fast Weeping Ribs" and do that.

Bludawg
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't wrap Ribs! I do cook mine around 300 deg, I don't pull the membrane, Normal time on BB and St. Louis 3.5-4 hrs they look like this
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/bendtest.jpg

bo_b_q
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I just did some Wednesday and didn't foil. Just went about 4 hours on 2 racks of baby backs at 225* +/- ...came out great. About as simple as it gets.

gtr summed up most everything I searched and read before I did mine, so I'd go with that!

Enkidu
01-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Foil isn't necessary:

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/9425/p1010002s.jpg

deepsouth
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
I don't wrap.

caliking
01-05-2013, 11:02 PM
C'mon... Be a lazy farker like me and forget foiling. 4hrs at 300F should do it but the best advice has already been given above- learn a good test for doneness and run with it. I tired of taking forever to cook ribs.

Militant83
01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Try both ways and see what you like best.

Ringburner
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
That's all the convincing I need!
The two racks on my wsm are the last ones I'll ever wrap!

Anything that frees up time to sit by the pool and sip something tasty can only be good!

Cheers all

Sent from my Galaxy S3

HankB
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
I foiled ribs for the first time on my last cook and was not fully satisfied with the results. I usually cook at 225-250 for about 6 hours in a WSM with a decent rub and that's it. I don't sauce either. I often sauce when I reheat them and I always serve with sauce for those who prefer it, but many like the ribs just the way they come off the smoker.

Neither do I mop. I like to close the smoker and keep it that way until they ribs are done.

Give it a try!

jrn
01-05-2013, 11:20 PM
I never wrap my meat! :cool:

TomB
01-06-2013, 05:52 AM
I am a wrapper. Like above, try both and do what you like best!

Captain Dave
01-06-2013, 06:11 AM
Wrapping is like a patch, a tool for those who like to boil or steam their ribs into falling off the bone. After all... when you wrap, the ribs ARE steaming in the foil... I like a little bite in mine so i dont foil

Ron_L
01-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Ringburner, you need to make up your own mind which you prefer. You can make a perfectly cooked, flavorful rib either way. It depends on cook time, time in the foil, etc. I do both depending on my mood and who I am cooking for. At competitions I typically foil and use that opportunity to get some extra flavor into the ribs because that is what typically scores better with the judges around here.. At home I typically don't foil because that's what I prefer. Either way I do it the ribs come out well and are not falling off the bone unless I want them cooked that way.

As someone suggested, try some without foil and see how you like them. Then try some with foil and see how you like them and make up your own mind.

Freddy j
01-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Try both ways and see what you like best.

Agreed. This hobby is 90% personal preference

Bludawg
01-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Ringburner, you need to make up your own mind which you prefer. You can make a perfectly cooked, flavorful rib either way. It depends on cook time, time in the foil, etc. I do both depending on my mood and who I am cooking for. At competitions I typically foil and use that opportunity to get some extra flavor into the ribs because that is what typically scores better with the judges around here.. At home I typically don't foil because that's what I prefer. Either way I do it the ribs come out well and are not falling off the bone unless I want them cooked that way.

As someone suggested, try some without foil and see how you like them. Then try some with foil and see how you like them and make up your own mind.Ok so how do your get more naturally sweet swine flavor into a rib? I thought it was all about the meat.:doh:

The_Kapn
01-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Ok so how do your get more naturally sweet swine flavor into a rib? I thought it was all about the meat.:doh:

Do you apply ANY seasoning to your ribs?
If so, why?

Just curious.

TIM

Ron_L
01-06-2013, 08:57 AM
I thought it was all about the meat.:doh:

Have you cooked any KCBS competitions? It's all about what scores well with the judges, and in the midwest that is a perfectly cooked rib with a balance of sweet, heat and meat. It may vary in different areas on the country.

dadsr4
01-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't wrap. Or trim, except to remove the membrane.
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/dadsr4/Done.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/dadsr4/PSribs.jpg

bigabyte
01-06-2013, 09:17 AM
I always wrap in foil except for the times I don't.

Rich Parker
01-06-2013, 09:19 AM
I always foil my ribs because it works for me and my cooker. It all depends how you cook and the cooker not one way will work for everyone.

stephan
01-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I use to foil but not any more but thats just me, no real reason

rwalters
01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Well, I can tell you that for me personally, I used to ALWAYS foil when I cooked on WSM's... I DID NOT want too, and I tried without numerous times, but I was NEVER as happy with the end result as when I foiled. That all changed last month when I sold my 22.5 WSM and bought a Pit Barrel Cooker (I am not trying to sell a PBC, just sharing my experience)... I had been convinced by a good number of people that I wouldn't have to foil on a PBC... I tried it, and was blown away! The "toothpick test" is really what shocked me... I popped a TP into the slabs of baby-backs that were just finishing up only to have TONS of juice come squirting out. They were outstanding, and for me, the first unfoiled ribs that I personally have ever been super proud to serve :)

So my question to those who love the end result of their unfoiled ribs... What was I doing wrong on my WSM? If I had to guess, I would say that I was not cooking them hot-n-fast enough...like 290-310 degrees? The common thing that I am starting to see is those that foil are cooking low-n-slow, and those that do not foil are cooking hot-n-fast... Could there be any truth there???

Ron_L
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
So my question to those who love the end result of their unfoiled ribs... What was I doing wrong on my WSM? If I had to guess, I would say that I was not cooking them hot-n-fast enough...like 290-310 degrees?

Could be. I wonder what the results in the WSM would be if you took out the water pan and cooked hotter. It would be closer to the cooking environment of the PBC.

The common thing that I am starting to see is those that foil are cooking low-n-slow, and those that do not foil are cooking hot-n-fast...

I don't think that's really the case. I cook at 270 for ribs whether I foil or not (but I don't know if that is low and slow or hot and fast. Maybe half-fast? :-D)

The_Kapn
01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
If so, why?

Just curious.

TIM

DAWG,

I am sure you have been busy and missed this question.

You appear to be an expert on ribs, based on your posts.
So, since you say (and I agree) that it all about the meat--Do you use ANY seasonings or just cook them "naked"?

Inquiring minds want to know 8)

Thanks,

TIM

4uweque
01-06-2013, 01:23 PM
The best ribs I've ever made are hot and fast, not wrapped. I found this method on this site and it really changed my rids. They are glorious.

Enkidu
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I still haven't figure out what ranges people are referring to when they say HnF and what they mean when they say LnS. It seems to vary from person to person. It would probably be more helpful if people gave the temperature range they are referring to. For example, I tend to cook just about everything in the 250-275 range. To some, 250 is considered LnS, to some, 275 is considered HnF.

dadsr4
01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I still haven't figure out what ranges people are referring to when they say HnF and what they mean when they say LnS. It seems to vary from person to person. It would probably be more helpful if people gave the temperature range they are referring to. For example, I tend to cook just about everything in the 250-275 range. To some, 250 is considered LnS, to some, 275 is considered HnF.
My opinion is that it is determined by where our cooker wants to run. For me 250 deg is LnS, 350 deg is HnF.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
01-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I have had success both ways. Some people only foil to keep the ribs from getting to dark or oversmoking. I like them both ways. I will say that I do prefer BBs unwrapped. Not sure why, but they almost always turn out better, for me anyways.

WhiskeyPigBbq
01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Thank you for this post. I generally wrap my ribs but I think this thread has talked me out of it. I have two racks of STL's on with a spatchcocked chicken. It has been a long time since I have went aunatural on my ribs. Plus I am really comfy on the couch watching the football game. And being lazy..

Banjo
01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
I vary what I do based on who I'm cooking for. I, like Ron, wrap at competition. When I'm out in Texas at my parents house I cook a dry rib. Here in Cali I cook both a dry and a wet rib. It all depends on taste preference

BobM
01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
I've had very good results by foiling my pork ribs. :)
I tried not foiling them a couple of times, and was not happy with how they came out. :(
I am going to try not foiling again, just to see if I can get them to come out good. I like a challenge. :D

Bob

Wampus
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Foiled, not foiled, wet, dry, skinned, not skinned, hot, fast, low, slow.....

It's all out there. I wouldn't recommend deciding what the best way is until you've tried them all and decide what you like best.

It's about like trying to argue the beans/no beans/noodles/no noodles with chili debate IMHO.

Bluesman
01-06-2013, 08:06 PM
It's about like trying to argue the beans/no beans/noodles/no noodles with chili debate IMHO.

In CHILI!!!!!!!! :twitch::twitch::twitch:

WhiskeyPigBbq
01-06-2013, 08:43 PM
thank you for this post. I generally wrap my ribs but i think this thread has talked me out of it. I have two racks of stl's on with a spatchcocked chicken. It has been a long time since i have went aunatural on my ribs. Plus i am really comfy on the couch watching the football game. And being lazy..

They didn't turn out bad.....I tried using an aluminum pan and grate to keep clean up easy and ended up having some weird taste.

gaspipe1
01-06-2013, 10:01 PM
The best ribs I've ever made are hot and fast, not wrapped. I found this method on this site and it really changed my rids. They are glorious.

Any chance you able to post a link for that thread? Would love to read it and thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bludawg
01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
If so, why?

Just curious.

TIMSorry the dam DSL line was on the fritz for a few hrs:mad2:
I do in fact season my ribs. I use a light coat of McCormicks Season salt, about 2 tbbl of my SC mustard sauce. and a light coating of a low salt low sugar rub. When I say light i mean you can still see the white fat through it plainly. or I use 50/50/25 K salt, 16 mesh BlkP and granulated garlic. and a thin vinegar sauce glaze( Similar to a Lex dip) 15 min before they come off

Ole Man Dan
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I smoke Ribs at 300° to 325°. (3.5 to 4 hrs aprox)
I don't wrap. I don't sauce until the last half hour.

I pull em when they will bend double...

martyleach
01-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I am sorry, didn't read alll the posts so I may be redundant and/or boring..
I have a Big Green Egg and I cook my ribs (not babybacks) 4 hours at 275 no foil. Give them a spritz every 15-30 mins with apple juice or your favorite moisterizer... Usually pretty perfect...

El Ropo
01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
foiling ribs is a leftover step from the now defunct 3 2 1 cooking method.. sure you need to foil if you are going to subject those poor bones to 6 hours of low heat.

Cookin' at 275-300, no need to foil, spritz, mop, glaze.. let em rip till the sizzling gets quiet.

Ringburner
01-07-2013, 12:11 AM
I smoke Ribs at 300° to 325°. (3.5 to 4 hrs aprox)
I don't wrap. I don't sauce until the last half hour.

I pull em when they will bend double...

This exactly what I had in mind for my new process.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Ringburner
01-07-2013, 04:50 PM
My last ever wrapped ribs. They were pretty good..... I really hope the no wrap method is as good!

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q505/nzhotpepper/CameraZOOM-20121229201938881.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3

JOMANCHU
01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
I wrap mine for the last two hours and add apple juice. Works for me but love to try different techniques. Ring burner those look great.

bacchus99
01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Well, I can tell you that for me personally, I used to ALWAYS foil when I cooked on WSM's... I DID NOT want too, and I tried without numerous times, but I was NEVER as happy with the end result as when I foiled. That all changed last month when I sold my 22.5 WSM and bought a Pit Barrel Cooker (I am not trying to sell a PBC, just sharing my experience)... I had been convinced by a good number of people that I wouldn't have to foil on a PBC... I tried it, and was blown away! The "toothpick test" is really what shocked me... I popped a TP into the slabs of baby-backs that were just finishing up only to have TONS of juice come squirting out. They were outstanding, and for me, the first unfoiled ribs that I personally have ever been super proud to serve :)

So my question to those who love the end result of their unfoiled ribs... What was I doing wrong on my WSM? If I had to guess, I would say that I was not cooking them hot-n-fast enough...like 290-310 degrees? The common thing that I am starting to see is those that foil are cooking low-n-slow, and those that do not foil are cooking hot-n-fast... Could there be any truth there???

Were you using no water in the pan? I have found contrary to what folks say on this forum that if i don't put water in the pan i get a dry jerky like bark on my food. That ain't for me...i like a good bark but it was like the ribs would be tender once you got thru the bark. So i run my WSM with water always now. If i want hotter temps i light more initial charcoal or use a grill.

4uweque
01-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Any chance you able to post a link for that thread? Would love to read it and thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't recall any one thread in particular, I just continued to read success stories from people using hotter temps than the usual 225 and not foiling. I finally got my drum up to 300 and tried it, 3 1/2 hours later I had the juiciest most tender ribs I've ever cooked. Everyone should at least try it and see if you like it.

JimDandysNYDan
01-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I guess it all depends on what you are cooking on. I cook on a stick burner and have wrapped the ribs a few times, out of those few times I think maybe twice they came out good. I prefer to keep them unwrapped. I feel like I have a little more control that way. The times that I didn't like them wrapped, they came out way to mushy.

Warthog
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
YES I foil.
Cook at 250 - 275.
Two hours in smoke
One and half hours in foil w/apple juice, brown sugar. margarine, honey and Tiger sauce.
Remove foil reserve drippings and mix drippings with BBQ sauce for the last step.
45 minutes back on heat for glazing.
The ribs are fantastic.

Quint
01-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Damn now I don't know what the fark to do. Guess I'll just have to buy a boat load of ribs and try them all the above mentioned ways. Darn it !!!!!!

GrillBillie_D
01-09-2013, 04:31 PM
For home cooking, I usually don't foil. In competition, we usually do.

I've had great ribs with or without foiling. More important to foiling is getting them cooked the correct way.

Spend the time getting the tenderness perfected, then later you can play around with foiling if you want.

lastmajordude
01-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Maybe it's just me.....but I do both. Sometimes foil, sometimes not. Sometimes sweet sometimes S&P. H&F or low/slow. Weber kettle maybe...on weekends it's Jambo time!!......To me alot of the fun of cooking is making the food/cook process fit with the time frame or people to be fed criteria. There was a line from a movie once ...."Can't we do BOTH!!".......Whatever makes you happy dude......

Offthehook
01-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I always foil, I don't like too much smoke.

BAD324
01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
I've never foiled mine and I've been meaning to try it that way for some time. I've also never cooked them higher than 225-250 range so I'm extremely intrigued to try out this Hot n Fast approach and see how that might work for me so it looks like I've got some experimenting to do!