PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Pork Question- need help ASAP

brewerjamie15
01-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I need your help. I'm mostly done with my pork shoulder, the internal temp is sitting at 180. Not much longer and I'm going to test for tenderness.
This is Friday night, 11:15pm. This shoulder is for pulled pork sandwiches Saturday at around 5pm. (there's a football game I want to see. GO PACKERS!)
When the bone pulls clean, and very little resistance to a probe, do I just pull the whole thing and rest it in a pot till room temp, then fridge? OR should I put this puppy in a cooler wrapped well in towels and foil, wait to pull?
I need suggestions quickly, I'm a bit overwhelmed right now.

THANKS

gtr
01-04-2013, 11:18 PM
I'd pull, cool, & reheat to serve.

Jbomb
01-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Very good question.

Callahan-que
01-04-2013, 11:31 PM
I'd pull, cool, & reheat to serve.

Same here, you've got a while to go before you serve.

brewerjamie15
01-04-2013, 11:44 PM
That's the plan. I wasn't sure if I needed to rest this beast first, but I'm not going to. It's got lots of juice in the pan I have it in. I injected it a bit and then when it went to foil, I added some nice juice I made. A bit of coca-cola, pineapple juice, and some orange juice.
Thanks for the help brothers.

Ron_L
01-05-2013, 06:28 AM
I agree with the gang. Plus, save the juice from the foil and add it back in to the pork when you reheat it. You may have to de-fat it first.

IamMadMan
01-05-2013, 07:06 AM
^ +1 as above...

Twelvegaugepump
01-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Go Pack!

Freddy j
01-05-2013, 07:57 AM
200-205degrees has been the magic # for me. I would pull before I refrigerate , don't thinks I'd want to reheat whole (to big a piece of meat, risk drying out). Great food for a game!

Bluesman
01-05-2013, 08:09 AM
I have done it were it came off the cooker rested in a cooler and then into the fridge. I pulled it cold the next day and the fat was really easy to find. Put it into a slow cooker added some apple juice and lit er up. cam out great. I don't think it's possible to screw up pork.......is it :-o

and GO PACK GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

pbj
01-05-2013, 08:13 AM
I can get about 5 hours +/- in foil in a cooler and it is still almost too hotto pull by hand. Pull it and put it in the refrigerator. Reheat slowly with some juice.

I really replied just to say GO VIKINGS
Curly

JonM106
01-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Definitely pull and refrigerate then reheat. Putting the whole thing in the fridge might not let it cool fast enough and you'll potentially have it in the "danger zone" for a while.

And I brought a beautiful pork butt to the party for the last Packers/Vikings game. It was a hit. GO PACK GO!!

fingerlickin'
01-05-2013, 11:41 AM
I might try and pull in chunks though and definitely save the juice to pour back over.

BBQ Bandit
01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Just to aid the cololing process - just break it down into fourths (quarter it) and re-bag it with the additional liquids.

If you have a vac-sealer; leave the bags open (to vent heat) during the cooling process.
Have used those "blue thermo refreeze cooler blocks" to accelerate cooling.
Once cold - seal away.

Next day - boil in a bag = fresh goodness!