PDA

View Full Version : I Disagree. Sorry Kingsford.

BBQchef33
01-02-2006, 10:35 AM
I got this stuff off the kingsford website.. all in all its ok, but a few things I disagree with. Lets talk grilling for a few mins.

One: Grill temps.... 350 Degrees?? :eek: Thats it NOT going to get a sear on a steak. I get mine up to 600-800 if possible.. the higher the better. Mesquite can help get it higher.

two: They have cooktimes from 20-35 minutes. Those steaks DID NOT piss me off.. I am not going to torture them on a grill for half an hour. I want a 1 1/2 iinch steak off in 10 mins or less.

three: Grill heights: 2-3 inchs?? .. well, ok, but first minute is spent searing both sides closer to the heat. Sear the first side, flip it, sear that side, then raise the grate and leave it alone. FLIPPED ONCE!.

Heres my real wedgie: to test odneness... Slit it next to the bone!!! :eek: :eek: yeah.. and watch all the juices drain into the dish. :confused: :confused:

i have these small thermometers called steak buttons. They have short probes and i can stick them into the sides of a steak and leave them there. No temps onthem. Just a range from R - M- W. they work pretty good, bu t more often, i just use the finger test. Push on the cneter of the steak, if it feels like your cheeks, they are rare, if it feels like the tip of your nose, its medium, if it feels like your chin, its well done. No slits.. no juices running out..

When i do it, they are charred outside, med-rare inside and loaded with juice...

sorry kingsford.. just my 2 cents.

FRom the kingsford website.

How to Grill the Perfect Steak

• Allow ¾ to 1lb per person for bone-in steak or ½lb per person for boneless steak.• Choose steaks that are at least 1-inch thick.• Trim off fat to 1/8 inch and score the edges to keep them from curling on the grill.• On the grill, flip steaks when juices start bubbling on the un-cooked side.• Second side of steak needs less grilling time than the first.• Salt & pepper each browned side of steak after turning.• Test for doneness by making a knife slit beside the bone.
COOKING CHARTThickness1"1½"2"Rare15 – 20 min.20 – 25 min.30 – 35 min.Medium20 – 25 min.30 – 35 min.35 – 40 min.Well Done25 min. & over35 min. & over40 min. & overGrill Height2" - 3"2" - 3"3" - 5"Grill Surface TemperatureMedium: 350°

kcquer
01-02-2006, 10:49 AM
but a few things I disagree with. Lets talk grilling for a few mins.

One: Grill temps.... 350 Degrees?? :eek: Thats it NOT going to get a sear on a steak. I get mine up to 600-800 if possible.. the higher the better. Mesquite can help get it higher.

two: They have cooktimes from 20-35 minutes. Those steaks DID NOT piss me off.. I am not going to torture them on a grill for half an hour. I want a 1 1/2 iinch steak off in 10 mins or less.

three: Grill heights: 2-3 inchs?? .. well, ok, but first minute is spent searing both sides closer to the heat. Sear the first side, flip it, sear that side, then raise the grate and leave it alone. FLIPPED ONCE!.

Heres my real wedgie: to test odneness... Slit it next to the bone!!! :eek: :eek: yeah.. and watch all the juices drain into the dish. :confused: :confused:

i have these small thermometers called steak buttons. They have short probes and i can stick them into the sides of a steak and leave them there. No temps onthem. Just a range from R - M- W. they work pretty good, bu t more often, i just use the finger test. Push on the cneter of the steak, if it feels like your cheeks, they are rare, if it feels like the tip of your nose, its medium, if it feels like your chin, its well done. No slits.. no juices running out..

When i do it, they are charred outside, med-rare inside and loaded with juice...

sorry kingsford.. just my 2 cents.

That's why you're the Pooh-Bah!!

BrooklynQ
01-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Which chin should I compare it to?

Bigmista
01-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Which chin should I compare it to?

The one closest to your mouth.

icemn62
01-02-2006, 12:56 PM
It is amazing, they make one of the best vesatile grills on the market. You can find one in almost every back yard in the country. And they don't have a clue on how to grill a good steak.

parrothead
01-02-2006, 07:46 PM
It is amazing, they make one of the best vesatile grills on the market. You can find one in almost every back yard in the country. And they don't have a clue on how to grill a good steak.

I didn't know that Kingsford made grills.