PDA

View Full Version : Oklahome Joe Longhorn first cook

Mattmo
01-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Smoked my first cook on the Oklahoma Joes Lonhorn last night. Cooked 1 whole chicken and some 1/2" thick pork chops. Started out at 250* and maintained that like a champ. The wife was complaining about being hungry so I put switched the pork chops over to the fire box...what a mistake as i let them go too long and dried them out! I then cranked the heat up to around 300 to finish the chicken. I don't remember how long it took to cook the entire thing. Either way, here is my first attempt. Not a whole lot of good smoke flavor as I didn't want to overpower it on my first attempt.

I do have a question. I don't know if anyone is familiar with this smoker, but I had a rather large fire going with lump charcoal and some wood chunks mixed in to maintain temp...I was wondering if it would be better to fire this with wood rather than coal? I do have to keep in mind that it was in the 20's last night when I was doing it, just curious though.

dano
01-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Not bad at all.

Bludawg
01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Chicken looks good. Switch to all Wood and never look back. I use a Chimney full of lump and 2 splits to start out then feed 1 preheated split when ever my temp drops by 25 deg YMMV.

Mattmo
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks Bludawg! I am getting ready to find some seasoned hickory now! I hate to beg for more information, however I will lol. When you say split, how big are your splits? Meaning big around as a fist or big around as a milk jug etc. I'm so stinking excited about this smoker. I'm ready to fire it up again!

code3rrt
01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
NIce lookin' chicken!

Militant83
01-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks Bludawg! I am getting ready to find some seasoned hickory now! I hate to beg for more information, however I will lol. When you say split, how big are your splits? Meaning big around as a fist or big around as a milk jug etc. I'm so stinking excited about this smoker. I'm ready to fire it up again!

dont know iu have a Menards close to you but the Menards around here sell a big bag of Hickory mini logs for $17 and I have used them several times due to not being able to get a good load of hickory around here without paying several hundred dollars for it.

Bludawg
01-03-2013, 11:01 AM
I cut the length to fit the fire box and about as big around as my forearm

Big George's BBQ
01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Nice chicken Pultry takes on smoke easily and it is easy to end up with a bitter taste

harris92
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
How old is your Longhorn? Can you post a pic of it?

Mason Dixon Bowhunta
01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
good looking bird :thumb:

Mattmo
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
dont know iu have a Menards close to you but the Menards around here sell a big bag of Hickory mini logs for $17 and I have used them several times due to not being able to get a good load of hickory around here without paying several hundred dollars for it.

I did see the bag of hickory at Menards and had it in my hand, then changed my mind for the simply fact that I didn't know how much it was and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for it lol. Our Menards is a joke. I went in one time for a timer for our attic fan and they sent me to every corner of the store looking for it, one corner twice, and the last corner was by the door so I just left.

I can't believe wood is that high up there. Ohio isn't too far from where I am... Maybe I should load up a few cords on a trailer and bring up for sale???? My dad has roughly 40 acres of woods, however everything would be green so I am going to have to buy some and will for sure check into the menards bag. Thanks for the reply!

Mattmo
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I cut the length to fit the fire box and about as big around as my forearm
Thanks buddy!!

Mattmo
01-03-2013, 12:26 PM
How old is your Longhorn? Can you post a pic of it?

Here is a pic of it I took last night on my phone...not very good. I just purchased it a week ago or so. It is the newer model, not as thick as the old from what I understand. It also has a door to pull out ashes that has enough gap around it to drive a Cadillac through!!! I noticed you have one as well? Yours the newer one or older one?

Mattmo
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
good looking bird :thumb:
Hey Bowhunta.... I picked up a bow this year, good gravy is it addictive. I have seen many deer just outside of my comfortable 30 yard shot window this year. In Missouri we have a 4 point restriction meaning one side of the rack must have 4 points...that being said, I have had 2 illegal deer within 20 yards and flung an arrow at a doe right before Christmas. I misjudged the distance and shot under her...I will say though, this has been the most fun I have had hunting in a LONG time! I don't know how many deer I have set and watched because I couldn't get a shot. With a rifle, the longest I have ever had to wait to shoot a deer was maybe a minute...I have bow hunted quite a bit this year and had many deer out of range, the first day I gun hunted this year I shot one at 7 yards lol. Nice to meet you!

harris92
01-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Mine is about 21 years old. Found it on Craigslist. 40"x16" (lxw) smoke chamber, 20"x16" fire box.

Mattmo
01-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Mine is about 21 years old. Found it on Craigslist. 40"x16" (lxw) smoke chamber, 20"x16" fire box.

That thing still looks brand new! Great job to you and previous owner(s) for keeping it in tip top shape!

Militant83
01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
I did see the bag of hickory at Menards and had it in my hand, then changed my mind for the simply fact that I didn't know how much it was and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for it lol. Our Menards is a joke. I went in one time for a timer for our attic fan and they sent me to every corner of the store looking for it, one corner twice, and the last corner was by the door so I just left.

I can't believe wood is that high up there. Ohio isn't too far from where I am... Maybe I should load up a few cords on a trailer and bring up for sale???? My dad has roughly 40 acres of woods, however everything would be green so I am going to have to buy some and will for sure check into the menards bag. Thanks for the reply!

Yeah it sucks that I cant get hicory outside of a store without paying an arm and a leg. Wood starts out around $125/cord and ive seen it as high as $300.. its cheaper from the guys that just have a random mix..if you want a certain type of hardwood thats where it gets pricey.

Tnbbqr
01-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Just got the Oklahoma joe smoker and lovin it! I have two deer tenderloins to smoke ASAP! Found a recipe where you wrap the loins in bacon...Can't wait to cook them.

cowgirl
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Great looking bird, Welcome to the forum!

Mattmo
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Just got the Oklahoma joe smoker and lovin it! I have two deer tenderloins to smoke ASAP! Found a recipe where you wrap the loins in bacon...Can't wait to cook them.
Let me know how that turns out. Better yet, post some pictures and tell me how it turned out. I've been wanting to try to smoke some quarters. I just have to find a dumb enough deer to let me stick it! lol Looking forward to hearing how they turn out!! I had the same idea as you: bacon wrapped.

Tnbbqr
01-05-2013, 03:33 AM
Let me know how that turns out. Better yet, post some pictures and tell me how it turned out. I've been wanting to try to smoke some quarters. I just have to find a dumb enough deer to let me stick it! lol Looking forward to hearing how they turn out!! I had the same idea as you: bacon wrapped.

Will do...just got the smoker fired up to do a brisket! 25 degrees! But still lovin it!

Ole Man Dan
01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Chicken looks good. Switch to all Wood and never look back. I use a Chimney full of lump and 2 splits to start out then feed 1 preheated split when ever my temp drops by 25 deg YMMV.

Same here.
I do a Chimney full of Royal Oak Lump, and dump it in my fire box with a couple of splits of Pecan or Oak. After it ignites the wood, I feed it wood as needed.

Ole Man Dan
01-05-2013, 10:35 PM

One of the BBQ tools that pays for itself is a quality Chainsaw.
In North Alabama we are blessed with lots of Hickory, Oak, and Pecans.
We also have enough bad weather that there are lots of large limbs or downed trees, that I can be a good Samaritan and remove for friends.
I keep a stack of each, and even a stack of pine and other non smoking wood for my patio fire-pit... OR to take camping. Campgrounds sell mixed junk wood for about $4-5 for a very small bundle of wood.

Mattmo
01-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks Old Man Dan... Luckily I still have my Stihl saw. We burned wood at our last house and this one before we switched to a pellet stove. I have learned from experience that when it comes to saws, you get what you pay for. I don't remember what mine cost, MS250, but my wife was not happy when I got home with it lol. We are like you and very fortunate to have a larget selection of woods to choose from.