PDA

View Full Version : Is it a sin to...

pike51
01-02-2013, 02:33 PM
cook with a crockpot? What are acceptable items to cook in a crockpot? Granted, I'd never personally consider doing "bbq" in a crockpot, but there are other things I like to make in ours. One of them is Carne Guisada. It's actually a recepie I received from the mother of a girl I dated when I lived in south Texas and it's absolutely the best I've ever had. So... am I a terrible person? How many "Hail Smoke's" do I owe?

Wrench_H
01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
No way! If you enjoy what you are making in it, keep on doing it. Heck, if you can make a meal that you enjoy and fits in your schedule in the microwave, do that too. The sin is letting others tell you how and what to enjoy.

bigabyte
01-02-2013, 02:36 PM
It's never a sin to cook. What is a sin is to not use any and all tools and cooking methods available to make the best product you can possibly make. Not all food is best suited for placing in a low and slow smoker.

deguerre
01-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Love my crockpot! It's great for cooking dried beans and chili. Nothing wrong with cooking meats either. For something you can turn on in the morning, and leave running til you get home, especially in the winter...

Jaskew82
01-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I love meathead's motto, "There are no rules in the kitchen or the bedroom" and I try to follow it. For me, BBQ cannot be made in a crockpot. That being said, it can put out some tasty soups, dips, chili's, etc.

Yendor
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Now that we have established that it is okay to use the crock pot let's talk about this carne guisada recipe. We use a recipe we found on line and converted it to cook in our pressure cooker. We just got a new pressure cooker too and were wondering what to make, carne guisada sounds good to me.

Untraceable
01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
I love crocks for chilli, spares n' kraut, good for holding things hot. Do alot of chuck roasts in the crock as well

Jason TQ
01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Love my crock pots. Yes plural as I have 3, including one that has 3 inserts for different sizes :becky:. So I have 5 sizes to choose from total. I started doing pulled pork for my first venture into "slow cooking meat" with them and use them a bunch for all types of things now. Great for brunswick stew, pot roasts/veggies, holding bbq, etc. I also have an electric pressure cooker for a faster version of a crock pot. So I say "rock out with your crock out". Oh wait.........:icon_blush:.

jfletcher84
01-02-2013, 03:00 PM
The only thing I would consider to be a sin would be to boil ribs. but hey that is just me if you like it who cares. use the crockpot.

caseydog
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
I use a crock pot regularly, and even a microwave is the best tool for some cooking tasks.

CD

code3rrt
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Just another tool in the box. Absolutely wonderful for having meals ready when your out for the day!

Carolina gamecock
01-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I love crock pot Lima beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deepsouth
01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
paula deen's taco soup

jrn
01-02-2013, 03:54 PM
What's a crockpot? :becky:

JazzyBadger
01-02-2013, 03:58 PM
During the summer time when I'm craving a lasagna but not the oven heat I'll use the crock pot to make lasagna up. I use it to make rice milk with as well, and beans when I don't wish to turn the oven on either. Use it for a slew of stews I make. Crock pot is a great cooker during those times you need it.

Johnny_Crunch
01-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Chili Con Queso. Enough said.

Arlin_MacRae
01-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Not a sin at all! The sin comes in when you use the words "BBQ" and "crock pot" in the same sentence. ;)

bigabyte
01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Not a sin at all! The sin comes in when you use the words "BBQ" and "crock pot" in the same sentence. ;)
Then there's this...

http://uncrate.com/p/crock-pot-bbq-pit.jpg

LMAJ
01-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Let's spill the details of these crock pot recipes

Carne Guisada.

paula deen's taco soup

Chili Con Queso.

Lasagna
Rice milk

Oh -and yeah- I see no problem with cooking with a crock pot...

rlt
01-02-2013, 06:51 PM
I make bread in my crock pot. It turns out amazing, and I dont have to heat the oven.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Smoking Westy
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Let's spill the details of these crock pot recipes

Oh -and yeah- I see no problem with cooking with a crock pot...

Amen to that! Never had carne guisada but did a quick search and looks awesome. :thumb:

bo_b_q
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
I use the crock pot for all kinds of stuff. Great for the winter when you want something warm when you get home and dips and soups. If I have leftover chuckie or pulled pork then I'll throw it in with some liquids and let them warm up slowly...still tastes like BBQ, just don't have to worry about drying it out.

I'm also with the others on the recipes...that stuff sounds fantastic.

BobM
01-02-2013, 08:10 PM
A crock pot is a good thing.

thirtydaZe
01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
I prefer my meats kissed with fire, but a good crock puts out a flavor all its own, that holds a high standard.

Lupus
01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
My mum had a crock pot when I was growing up. Didn't think the brand existed anymore as I haven't seen it in Australia. But, we do have slow cookers.

Soe recipes would be cool. Doing lasagne in the crock pot is an interesting idea.

Pyle's BBQ
01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
All you people that "say" you have recipes you use in your Crock Pot are just teases.

cashew
01-02-2013, 08:45 PM
I use the crock pot at least once a year along with my 18 quart roaster to make and can fresh salsa. It works great to reheat pulled pork or a lot of other things. I say if you like to use it..go for it!

Pugi
01-02-2013, 09:11 PM
The crock pot is my go to for barbacoa.

HankB
01-02-2013, 09:34 PM
I put two cups of steel cut oats and eight cups of water in mine. Then it goes on a timer that runs it for three hours on high before I wake up. I have fresh oatmeal the next morning and reheat until it is gone when I start the process again. I have oatmeal every day.

Clearly there are others here who are getting much more use out of their crock ports than me. Maybe I need to search for a crock pot forum. Nah... I already eat too much and don't need more ideas for good food...

Smoothsmoke
01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Carne guisada is the best. Plated along with rice, and pour the sauce on top of the rice, fried plantain on the side, Shazaaaam gud!!

Ye Olde Party Palace
01-02-2013, 09:51 PM
My mom even asked me for my recipe for crockpot beef and noodles. I told her to cut a decent sized chuck roast into two pieces to fit the crockpot. Then put one half into the crockpot, followed by one half package of onion soup mix, one half can of mushroom pieces and ends, and a sprinkling of italian seasonings. Repeat with the second half of the roast. Turn the crockpot on high for one hour to get it cooking, then turn to low. I usually put the roast on around 10 pm and let it cook all night and until I get home from work in the evening. By then you can shred the beef with a spoon. Add one cup of water and a package of brown gravy mix, and stir. Add a package of egg noodles, and cook until the noodles are tender. Makes a delicious dinner, and great leftovers. :-D

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
01-02-2013, 10:31 PM
I make bread in my crock pot. It turns out amazing, and I dont have to heat the oven.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Ok details folks .... We need some sharing here

I for one, want to know about some of these recipes

JazzyBadger
01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Lasagna is pretty simple in the crock pot. I just take dry homemade lasagna noodles and a homemade sauce, then mix ricotta, mozza, and parmesan together for the cheese layer. Goes meat sauce, cheese, noodles. Up and up and up. Last layer, the very top one, gets layered with just mozza cheese. Blammo. Cook it on high for an hour or two, basically until it looks right. Tastes great. Rice milk is even easier, two cups brown rice, one gallon of water, cook it on high for about four hours or until it starts to bubble and foam. Then you just do a ratio of 4 cups rice mix and 4 cups water in a blender, blend it down, strain it twice, and then pour into whatever jugs. We add some fat, salt, and sugar, then whatever flavorings we want. Either vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and that's about it. Every now and again we'll do chocolate and peppermint though.
Kids love sucking down milk, but I can't keep all six of them swimming in three gallons a day of the stuff, so we make the rice milk instead. They gobble that stuff down, and even I like the vanilla version.

fingerlickin'
01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Man I haven't had rice milk since I was a kid. I remember it tasted too, but I was kinda freaked out thinking I was drinking rice. Crazy kids.

rlt
01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Hook, line and sinker, the recipe for the bread-

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast
6 1/2 cups AP unbleached flour

Mix the yeast, salt, and water. Then mix that with the flour in whatever you use to mix, I use a kitchenaid with a dough hook. Once the mixture is uniform, it will be kind of wet, place it in a covered but not airtight container. Wait two hours, then the dough is ready to use. portion it into one pound portions. Place a piece of parchment paper in your crock pot to cover the entire bowl. Place your one pound portion of dough in. Put the crockpot on high. Wait approximately one hour until the top of the bread is firm. Once it is firm remove the bread and place it under the broiler for approx five minutes or until the bread is brown to your liking. Now comes the hard part...wait until it is cool to cut it and enjoy. You can also make small portions and make rolls.

If the fellow brethren wont disown me I would gladly do a pron heavy post on how to do this. I dont know if you can post with pics about a crockpot cook though...I might never be taken seriously.

rlt
01-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Hook, line and sinker, the recipe for the bread-

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast
6 1/2 cups AP unbleached flour

Mix the yeast, salt, and water. Then mix that with the flour in whatever you use to mix, I use a kitchenaid with a dough hook. Once the mixture is uniform, it will be kind of wet, place it in a covered but not airtight container. Wait two hours, then the dough is ready to use. portion it into one pound portions. Place a piece of parchment paper in your crock pot to cover the entire bowl. Place your one pound portion of dough in. Put the crockpot on high. Wait approximately one hour until the top of the bread is firm. Once it is firm remove the bread and place it under the broiler for approx five minutes or until the bread is brown to your liking. Now comes the hard part...wait until it is cool to cut it and enjoy. You can also make small portions and make rolls.

If the fellow brethren wont disown me I would gladly do a pron heavy post on how to do this. I dont know if you can post with pics about a crockpot cook though...I might never be taken seriously.

Foxfire
01-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Crockpot + cheap roast + onion soup mix + beer = super easy weeknight french dip sandwiches :thumb:

pike51
01-03-2013, 07:15 AM
I'll post my Carne Guisada in another thread when I get a free moment at work.

jestridge
01-03-2013, 09:10 AM
We have several crock pot but seldom use them , my favorite thing is electric pressure cooker, Matter of fact I order an 8 qt one yesterday