PDA

View Full Version : Achiote Butts

TRS
01-02-2013, 08:04 AM
Tried and loved achiote marinated chicken with pickled red onions and was wondering if anyone has marinated butts in achiote marinade before smoking? No doubt the achiote is great on chicken and pork but just curious how it holds up smoking for many hours and any wood preference with it. I even thought about wrapping it in banana leaves before putting it on the smoker. I believe in the Yucatan thats how they do true cochinita pilbil. I am becoming addicted to this stuff :shocked:

Input, suggestions, opinions welcome!

chickenchoker
01-02-2013, 08:28 AM
I have used an achiote marinade in my briskets after foiling and had a great flavor for home eating. I use alot of achiote powder and pastes when I cook latin food at home... I am sure it would be great on a butt and I plan on using some when I next try doing pulled pork latin based instead of bbq based on my next cook

fingerlickin'
01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
I did some a while back for the Nacho TD. It was awesome and I actually just used the leftovers to make empanadas for my new years party on Monday. Here's the link to my post in the Nacho TD. If you go to post #19 I posted a link to the recipe I used courtesy of tortaboy.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149237

TRS
01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks fingerlickin'!