PDA

View Full Version : Little Chief smoker...

mytmouz
01-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Any users of these on here, and if so, how well do they work. I bought one years ago and just ran across it...

swamprb
01-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Mine just died. I noticed that the chips were burning irregularly and the element just gave out. And unfortunately for me it is a hardwired element they don't even make anymore. There was a Warshalls Sporting Goods label from Seattle with a 6-74 inventory date on the box, I got it at a garage sale in the early 90's, so I'd say I got my $10 worth out of it.

It was my first smoker and go-to for Brined/cured Salmon and cool smoked cheese.

They are everywhere here in the Pacific Northwest and you should be able to go to the Luhr-Jensen website and get an instruction manual/recipe book. They also sell brine mixes, cures, wood chips and sausage kits.

Garyclaw
01-02-2013, 06:37 AM
I've got one somebody gave me years ago and I keep forgeting to use it.

I believe somebody here (thirdeye maybe?) had a thread a couple of years ago on cold smoking with it.

Arlin_MacRae
01-02-2013, 08:45 AM
We've got a Big Chief and my dad used one a lot of the years i spent at home. They're simple and hardy and really get the job done. I don't know if you'll find a lot of tips here, but they're out there on the web to be found.

Arlin

FamilyManBBQ
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Just got one leading up to holiday season this year. It's been fun smoking nuts, rice, popcorn, salt. Have tried jerkey a couple times with some measure of success.
My son says "your beef turkey is good dad"

Seems like a fun little toy.

Check out their website, for sure. Think I noticed the same recipies and instructions there.

mwmac
01-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Smokehouse Products now makes the Chief smokers. Users manual here http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/recipes.cfm
I have had a Little Chief for more than 25 years and just replaced the element. Recently got a Big Chief off Craigslist for additional capacity. Hard to beat for smoked salmon or jerky.

mytmouz
01-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a CL item for me, lol...

Tim Campbell
01-02-2013, 06:04 PM
I have one. Great for fish and jerky

mbshop
01-03-2013, 12:09 AM
i have one. i've used it several times and i'm happy with it. actually, i wish i would use it more.

NeoTrout
01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Got mine off CL for $15. Smoked some pork belly and it turned out pretty good. The topload thing is kind of a pain but what the heck. You can still get parts online. :thumb:

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/NeoTrout/Grills%20Gone%20Wild/07_zpse924a3e4.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/NeoTrout/Grills%20Gone%20Wild/08_zps73c5d1f8.jpg

gtr
01-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Why is it I want every smoker I see, no matter what it is? :doh:

thirdeye
01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
There was a Little Chief in the family forever, my Mom would smoke cheese, nuts and jerky mostly. When I graduated from high school and moved into an apartment, I got one as a "going away" present.... hmmmm, there might be a deeper story here??

Anyways that was in 1974, and I still use both a Little Chief and a Big Chief. Mostly for salmon, trout and jerky. I have an insulation mod so I can also do things like hocks and ribs if the weather is warm outside. Otherwise, I treat both Chiefs like they were intended.... as a flavor smoker, or pre-smoker. You can't really cook things on them unless the conditions are perfect.

(PS - I smoked cheese for years in mine with great success, but now use an A-Maze-N smoke tray for my smoke generator)