PDA

View Full Version : Wings ... bone towards coals ?

Junebo
12-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Question about cooking wings. I buy the pre-seperated for convenience. I saw a video where they put the bone side of the drum sticks pointed towards the coals and the wings on the outside farther from the coals. Anyhow, is it better to point the bone side to the coals ? I always laid the fatter peices/sides towards the coals.
Any thoughts/advice from the Brethren ???

Ron_L
12-31-2012, 07:55 PM
I've never thought about it. I just cook them :) I do flip a couple of times.

mbshop
12-31-2012, 08:00 PM
no idea either. i just lay them out and cook indirect. i also rotate them around at least once.

MilitantSquatter
12-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Have a link to vid ?....... How did they look ?

Kenbo
12-31-2012, 08:12 PM
I've always done the meat toward the heat source, bone away. Mine seem to cook better, more even that way....but YMMV.

El Ropo
12-31-2012, 08:32 PM
did that video happen to be from youtube? 99% of the cooking/BBQ videos there are misleading and downright wrong.

Any time I'm cooking indirect, I always put the fattier, meatier part of the meat closer to the heat source.

Brisket, point closer to heat. Chicken leg quarters, meaty thigh closer to the heat. Whole poultry, dark meat end closer to the heat. Tri-tip, thickest part closest to the heat.

I'd think the same thing would apply to wings. Which ever part is meatier and thicker would be positioned closer to the heat source.

NS Mike D
01-01-2013, 12:10 AM
If you need to be concerned how you place the wings in your cooker, it's too hot. If one side is hotter, then yes, bone side makes sense since skin will burn before meat and bones,

but I will add that I spent four years at UB(buffalo) and a deep fryer and franks hot sauce with butter is the only way to make wings.

Smoothsmoke
01-01-2013, 12:19 AM
I'm with Ropo, meatier side towards the heat source.