PDA

View Full Version : Dry Aging Brisket?

Tim H
12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
I know that some will "wet age" brisket by keeping it in cryovac.

Is anyone dry aging brisket, and if so do the results justify the efforts?

A couple of years ago, while in a local Whole Foods, I asked their Butcher (while he was standing in front of their dry aging cooler) if he dry aged beef brisket... he looked at me like I was nuts and replied that you would not dry age brisket (but didn't really provide any reasoning that supported his opinion). Thoughts and comments?

jbrink01
12-30-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm no authority but I would think dry aging would only benefit quick cooking beef served medium or rare as the moisture loss would be detrimental to longer cooked / well done items. Seems plausible to me.

Hawg Father of Seoul
12-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Dry it out only to inject it?

Kinda like defatting a thigh to add margarine.

Make it as far from natural as it takes to win.

bogyo1981
12-30-2012, 06:39 PM
There isn't enough fat too cover the whole brisket. Dry aging other cuts of meat like the short loin and ribeye lets the outside rot and the inside denature the protein. When you wet age you denature the protein without letting the outside rot

DawgPhan
12-30-2012, 07:22 PM
I have done it for competitions and didnt think that it was worth the effort. It was better than not aging at all. I aged it for just around 10-14 days.

Ford
12-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Tried it once years ago. Cooked in nearly half the time, texture was fall apart. Wouldn't recommend it for slow cooking. If if you cook hot and fast 350, it might be worth trying. Now wet aging works.

BigBellyBBQ
12-31-2012, 05:47 AM
my buddy Jim did it, with a old rv fridge, used salt trays to bring the humidity down, I set up a computer fan to move the air accross the trays. The strip loins were really good, prime rib excellent, however the brisket was very good also, however it was a pain in the arss maintaining humidity as we dry aged 25 to 45 days..The amount of effort vrs wet age just does not seem worth it...I throw cryovacs in the fridge (KEEP THE DOORS SHUT, to keep the light out and air) do not use your everyday fridge...However I have won or placed in brisket w/o aging, but the aged is better hands down.....if you have the time use dry age, however lots of effort to make it happen.......I am toooo lazy, so I am back to wet age..and get my dry aged meat from Keneally meats out of Boston..