PDA

View Full Version : DigiQ DX2 temp 20 degrees high

Lionsandwings
12-30-2012, 09:00 AM
I am half way into my first overnight cook with my new DigiQ DX2 and the temp on the DigiQ is 20 degrees higher then my iGrill probe right next to it.

I have done 4-5 overnight cooks in the past relying on my igrill with no previous problems.

I did a 3-4 hour test run the other day with no meat and the iGrill and DigiQ were +\- 2-3 degrees.

I also did a test with ice water and boiling water and again they were only a degree or two apart.

I have the igrill probe suspended over the grate with a home made support to keep the tip off the grate and the guru clipped to the grate, they are about 1.5" apart and equal distance from the meat and the edge of the cooker.

Guru is set and maintaining at 235 and igrill is running 210-220.

I know these variances are not huge, and I am just splitting the difference, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.

And to boot, the lid thermometer is reading 180??? Could this be a result of the condensation I am getting in my dome? I have never had condensation before using the guru, but I have read this is normal.

ubp_sanity
12-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Have you tried checking the accuracy of the probes with boiling water?

The boiling water is a known heat, should be close to 212, find out what each probe is reading when placed in it.

sfisch
12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
If I read this right, the Igrill probe is suspended measuring the air temp, the guru is clipped to a metal grate. Is the therm part of the guru behind the clip touching the grate too?, I've always wondered if the guru is measuring the temp of the metal grate but I guess in theory the metal grate should be the same temp as the air around it.

centexsmoker
12-30-2012, 06:39 PM
yes, you are doing something wrong. just use one and stop worrying creating things to worry about that do not exist. :laugh:

I kid, but really, more information is not always better. If you are getting good information, trust it and move on. there has been plenty of good Q done with NO thermos. 2 pit probes is too much if you know one works. one is too much if you don't need it. less is more.

BobM
12-30-2012, 06:41 PM
In my WSM, the lid thermometer reads about 50F lower than a reading at the grate level.
From what you are saying, everything seems fine.

Bob