PDA

View Full Version : WSM W/Pellet adapter

speedrcer1
12-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi all.
I saw this on EBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pellet-Pro-Complete-Hopper-Assembly18-Build-your-own-pellet-grill-BBQ-Smoker-/160898865932?pt=BI_Commercial_Ovens_Ranges&hash=item257651db0c

It's a pellet adapter that can be adapted to any cooker, with a little work.
They show it installed on a 22" WSM. looks like a cool idea.

Anyone else ever ty this out? I don't doubt whoever did the WSM adapter is a Brethren.

Thanks all.

Porcine Perfection
12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Hmmmm. Interesting.

HankB
12-29-2012, 10:10 PM
They describe it as an 18" unit and then show it on a 22" WSM. Wait... The burner is 18" and does not include the ring adapter for the WSM. In addition, I see that the WSM middle section is set upside down apparently to fit the ring (which is not included anyway.)

I wonder how much a purpose built pellet burner costs compared to this.

Callahan-que
12-29-2012, 11:10 PM
I'll pass.

Harbormaster
12-29-2012, 11:15 PM
I see that the WSM middle section is set upside down apparently to fit the ring (which is not included anyway.)
I looked real close at the WSM pics. Not only is the center section upside down, they had to drill new mounting holes for the grate brackets.
Further, the WSM lid was not meant to be placed on the bottom of the center section. I would think that when that cooker got up to temp, you wouldn't be able to get the lid off.
Not only that, the WSM with no mods can cook for 12 hours or more. I fail to see what advantage you get with the pellet rig.

mwmac
12-29-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't see the point to this product. I didn't buy a WSM because I really wanted a pellet smoker. I got it to cook over charcoal and smokewood.:thumb: It might be worth it to some people, but I just don't get it...

kenthanson
12-29-2012, 11:42 PM
As Harbormaster if you can cook for 12 hours on one load I don't see the purpose for a pellet pooper on a wsm, especially when it costs as much for the adapter as a new wsm.

NorthwestBBQ
12-30-2012, 06:19 AM
I looked real close at the WSM pics. Not only is the center section upside down, they had to drill new mounting holes for the grate brackets.
Further, the WSM lid was not meant to be placed on the bottom of the center section. I would think that when that cooker got up to temp, you wouldn't be able to get the lid off.
Not only that, the WSM with no mods can cook for 12 hours or more. I fail to see what advantage you get with the pellet rig.

Actually, the center section is not upside down, the door is. :thumb:

NorthwestBBQ
12-30-2012, 06:31 AM
An alternate product:

http://www.americansundancer.com/images/stoven-breakaway.jpg

http://www.americansundancer.com/stoven-barbecues.html

Works on 22.5" Kettles and WSM's.

wjwheeler
12-30-2012, 06:40 AM
I have one of these (still sealed in the box) that I ordered for my Jambo. I was going to build an adaper door for the pellet unit like Candy uses. I decided it was easier to use wood. It is very efficient.
I've had two WSM and loved them. I think it would be more trouble than it's worth for a WSM.
If you found a good stainless unit to mount it on, that would be a different story. You could save several thousands.

Harbormaster
12-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Actually, the center section is not upside down, the door is. :thumb:
Look closer.

swamprb
12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Chris Perres from C&C Grilling Co. sent me a pic of someone that had modified a Cajun Bandit Stacker with a pellet hopper. It was a lot hinkier than the one in the E-bay pics.

But it is clearly a Stacker and it and the center section are mounted upside down on the 22" WSM bowl.

I could be wrong, but I think it was Candy Sue Weaver that posted a link a long time ago of a WSM modified with the Stoven.

To each their own, they are not for me, but if it helps Chris sell more Stackers and Candy Sue more BBQ'r Delight pellets, I all for it.

NorthwestBBQ
12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Look closer.

You're right, Clark (Swamprb, not so much.) I was fooled by the bolt pattern (I have an older WSM) but the bottom of the door is closer to the bottom than the top on all models.

Edit: And now that I look at it the lid is not fitting into the bottom of the C-Section at all.

MattG
12-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Look closer.

Your right you can tell by the lid. Not sitting in but sitting on.

Bluesman
12-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Why...........:confused:

speedrcer1
12-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks all.
My idea is to be very consistent with cook temps for comps.
The manufacturer sent me his number to discuss the adapter.
But I do have a Cajun bandit adapter as well. I could use that.
I'll let all know how much the adapter is.