PDA

View Full Version : Butcher paper brisket - masking paper?

scotts1919
12-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Hello all. I was going to make my first attempt at the butcher paper brisket and I had a hard time finding brown unwaxed paper. I did find masking paper at Home Depot which seems to be almost the same as butcher paper. It's brown and doesn't e have any wax, think that will do the trick?

My plan is to high heat it at 300. Take it to 160 internal then wrap in paper until done.

Thoughts?

Thanks

BBQ Bandit
12-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Web definitions - butcher paper;
A strong wrapping paper that resists penetration by blood or meat fluids. Butcher paper is usually white or reddish in colour, made from kraft pulp and is generally considered to have a density of between 30 lb/3000 sq ft (45 g/m²) and 50 lb/3000 sq ft (81 g/m²).

That would be my first choice - resist fluid penetration/saturation.

However - do not know if the coated masking paper is food-safe.

scotts1919
12-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Hmmm. The masking paper doesn't have any coating on it.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
12-29-2012, 12:43 PM
The Sam's Club there in Streamwood probably has the proper butcher paper.

scotts1919
12-29-2012, 12:48 PM
They have butcher paper but it is the white paper. Not brown. That means it's been bleached.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
12-29-2012, 12:54 PM
I use the traditional pink/red Texas BP myself, but many Brethern can't get it without paying way too much online, so they use the white.

I am interested in your reasoning regarding bleached white BP that is rated food safe?

scotts1919
12-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I have nothing against it really. Just thought since I'm wrapping up a brisket and throwing it back on the smoker that the white paper might have negative effects cause of the bleached paper. If you say the white from Sams is good to go for my plan then I am okay with it.

Bludawg
12-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Hello all. I was going to make my first attempt at the butcher paper brisket and I had a hard time finding brown unwaxed paper. I did find masking paper at Home Depot which seems to be almost the same as butcher paper. It's brown and doesn't e have any wax, think that will do the trick?

My plan is to high heat it at 300. Take it to 160 internal then wrap in paper until done.

Thoughts?

Thanks
It will work just fine. I cook mine at 300 too I don't fool with Meat temp. Cook 4 hrs then wrap it pull it when probe tender At about the 6 hr mark:thumb:

scotts1919
12-29-2012, 01:15 PM
It will work just fine. I cook mine at 300 too I don't fool with Meat temp. Cook 4 hrs then wrap it pull it when probe tender At about the 6 hr mark:thumb:

You sure the masking paper will work? Been reading some negative comments here regarding it being food safe ..

Thanks

Bludawg
12-29-2012, 01:42 PM
You sure the masking paper will work? Been reading some negative comments here regarding it being food safe ..

Thanks
Paper is paper as long as it isn't coated with something. I have used brown paper bags, Brown craft paper, Brown parcel wrapping paper and never had a problem. Masking paper aint no different, All that FOOD Grade BS is just for marketing to enable them to charge more keep you from buying from someone else that don't charge as much for the same stuff. They do the same thing with Plastic Buckets You can get a Hommer bucket with a lid for 6 bucks. Or you can get a Food Grade one without a Lid for 15 and 7 more for the lid. If you turn them over it is the same plastic grade molded in the same plant and labeled on different lines.:crazy: