PDA

View Full Version : Temp Prob.

trance309
12-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Hi all. I have a question on wrapping my smoker with a welders blanket to help keep heat in. What kind of welders blanket is recommended? How high of a heat rating is suggested 800 - 1200 - 3000? I have a brinkman smokin pit that i am modding ( don't really have the money for a better smoker right now). I was told that wrapping with a welders blanket will help keep the temp up during the winter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ty

sfisch
12-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Ty,
Haven't done it myself but have read hot water heater insulated covers work well too and are less expensive. You can cut it to fit your cooker.

IamMadMan
12-27-2012, 10:09 PM
the blanket should only cover your cooking chamber, not the fire box.

I used to use a moving blanket on mine years ago when they first came out. I kept the blanket away from the fire box.

The 800 heat rating would be good if you are using controlled charcoal for the heat.

Bludawg
12-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Is it an ECB or an offset? if you have an ECB get a 55 gal drum and cut the heads out and slip it over the pit I used to do that in N WY when I Cowboyed up there in the winter ECB thought it was in Miami when it was -20 with a 30 MPH wind.
if its an offset a doubled up movers blanket from Harbor Junk will fit your pistol.

trance309
12-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Thank you all, i think i am going to give up on this offset and start building a UDS.