PDA

View Full Version : Leftover Ham - any good recipes?

Cloudsmoker
12-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Merry Christmas - smoked ham was fine, but the half that's still left is getting a little dry. Just wondering if anybody in this amazing group has any recipe recommendations. Thanks.

deguerre
12-27-2012, 08:42 AM
My mom always used to make a big ol' mess of Mac N Cheese with cubed leftover ham. Yum. And I don't really like mac n cheese...:-D

PatAttack
12-27-2012, 08:46 AM
My mom always used to make a big ol' mess of Mac N Cheese with cubed leftover ham. Yum. And I don't really like mac n cheese...:-D

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! I knew you were a weirdo...:laugh:

deguerre
12-27-2012, 08:47 AM
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! I knew you were a weirdo...:laugh:

Well, I like pie at least. :loco: And my mom's mac n cheese is pretty darn tasty.

fantomlord
12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
you could always go with some split pea soup, or some black beans and rice

deguerre
12-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh yeah! The ham bone in a pot of pintos.

PatAttack
12-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Well, I like pie at least. :loco: And my mom's mac n cheese is pretty darn tasty.

She ever give you the recipe? I'd like to give it a shot.

Sorry for the hijack, OP.:doh:

BBQMaverick
12-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Merry Christmas - smoked ham was fine, but the half that's still left is getting a little dry. Just wondering if anybody in this amazing group has any recipe recommendations. Thanks.

We love smoked ham omletes loaded up with good cheddar chese and veggies (I like to use some carmalized onions) along with homede hash browns and toast. Thats any any mealer at our house.

Also any cheese or baked potatoe soup (you can sub smoked ham in for bacon works well). I have at least 12 different good recipies. Here is Houstons (this is a copy cat version and I noted ham as a sub). If your like me I will alter and experiment including sprices

5 Medium Russet Potatoes
3 cup Whole Milk
1/2 cup Half and Half
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 1/2 teaspoon Chives
1/2 teaspoon Salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper or more to taste
2 1/2 tablespoon Butter
1/4 teaspoon Celery Salt
1 Green Onion Diced
Sub smoked ham in to liking (recipie calls for 5 strips of bacon)
1 1/4 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
Wash and scrub potatoes, pat dry. Rub potatoes with butter and place in baking pan, bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until done. Remove from oven and cool slightly. When the potatoes have cooled enough to touch, peel 4 of the potatoes, we will need the skin on the 5th potato. While potatoes are cooling, add fennel seeds to milk and half and half, and scald the milk. Scalding is heating milk at moderated temperature just until boiling point but not boiling and quickly remove from heat. Scalding will keep the mixture from separating. Let milk cool slightly with fennel seeds in mixture.
When potatoes or cool enough to work with carefully cut 4 in half and place in a food processor. Potatoes should measure out to 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked potato. Dice the 5th potato and set aside, leave the potato skins on this potato. To the cooked potato add sour cream, chives, salt, pepper, celery salt and 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese. Strain the fennel seeds from warm milk and discard seeds, pour milk mixture into food processor and processes 1 1/2 - 2 minutes until smooth. Place mixture into a sauce pan add butter and diced potato stir frequently and simmer on very low setting for about 15 - 20 minutes (this is when I would add diced ham).
When ready to serve ladle into individual bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese and green diced onion.

aawa
12-27-2012, 09:38 AM
My friend makes a great ham and bean soup as well as a lentil soup with ham in it. I will see if I can find the recipe for it.

Bob in St. Louis
12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I diced up the ham, put it in a hot skillet with some EVOO, and a few chopped Jalapenos and toasted it a bit.
Then I used some left over dinner rolls and made ham paninis with pepper jack cheese.

My son asked that I put some Augraten[sp] potatos on his panini. He loved it.
MMmm... might have to do that again tonight.

gtr
12-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Omelets, scrambled in eggs, put in white beans, grilled ham & cheese sammiches, etc...is what I do.

Pugi
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Favorite around my house is ham with white beans.

yakdung
12-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Save the bone and use in a pot of red beans for red beans & rice. Pulse the remaining ham in a food processor and make ham salad.

BBQMaverick
12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
I diced up the ham, put it in a hot skillet with some EVOO, and a few chopped Jalapenos and toasted it a bit.
Then I used some left over dinner rolls and made ham paninis with pepper jack cheese.

My son asked that I put some Augraten[sp] potatos on his panini. He loved it.
MMmm... might have to do that again tonight.

Like the way your son thinks.

palmcoastbob
12-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Ham ala King is as good as it gets. Having Turkey ala king tonight. By the way, I love ala King!

NavarreQ
12-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Lima beans and Ham with fresh cornbread.. But be careful around fires afterword :thumb:

cowgirl
12-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Great ideas! I have some leftover ham too. Usually make ham and scalloped tatoes or Hoppin' John.
Thanks for the new ideas everyone!

cheez
12-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Mrs. Cheez like to make a spread with butter, yellow mustard and poppy seed. Spread that on a good Kaiser roll, add a few slices of ham and a couple thin slices of Swiss cheese. Wrap in foil and put in the oven until nice and hot. Simple, but delicious!

Hoss
12-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Put the good meat in a ham salad,just like chicken/tuna salad for a spread.Use the bones and scraps for your beans of choice...white,Navy,pinto,whatever.

MS2SB
12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Ham and bean soup can't be beat. Soak some white beans or pintos overnight. Next day put the ham bone into a stock pot and cover with a couple qts water or chicken stock. Add a finely diced onion and a couple ribs finely diced celery and the beans. Simmer until the beans are tender then toss in some diced ham and simmer a few minutes more.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

landarc
12-28-2012, 12:32 AM
If it's not yet jerky, I shred it, use it similar to Mexican dried shredded beef and make it into scrambled eggs. You sauté up onions and bell peppers, jalapeños, add a little water and the shredded ham, cook to moisten the ham. From there, add eggs and scramble. Or add potatoes and make hash

smokiefrank
12-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Was going to use some of ours in fresh spring rolls.....until I realised we had none.
Made up a thai dipping sauce, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, dash of soy, hab chili flakes, basil and coriander etc. Wrapped banana prawns in slices of ham with spring onion, smoked salmon, julienned carrot and assorted other left overs. Dipped in sauce. Without all those nasty carbs from spring roll wrappers. Was ok.

Meat Meets Meat
12-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Frying up ham slices with red eye gravy, cheddar grits and a couple over easy eggs usually does the trick for me.

frognot
12-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Big ole pot of red beans (pintos) or butterbeans.

BIGBrandon2785
12-28-2012, 02:57 AM
My ABSOLUTE favorite meal during the winter time is...........Ham and Beans.And its super easy.

You need.
-1/3-1/2 of a ham(bone too if you got it)
-2 bags of Northern White Beans

Prep.
-Boil the ham and ham bone til tender
-remove the bone
-add beans
-Boil til beans are tender,lol
-Salt and Pepper
EXTRA(If you want)
-Cornbread
-Collard Greens

I SWEAR,thats my favorite cold weather meal!!So easy:mrgreen:

Blarg
12-28-2012, 03:08 AM
Mom used to grind up leftover ham into a bowl, add in some leftover baked potato and finely minced onion then scoop that into square pie crusts and fold them over, baked them like little meat pies then topped them with white gravy or even a hollandaise sauce. She would also make a similar filling using leftover corned beef.

malibulvr
12-28-2012, 03:38 AM
The wife usually makes potato soup with bacon but when we have ham we substitute. Potatoes, celery, corn, onions, water. She also mixes in some Rue, water and flour I guess, its magic, lol.

Bob in St. Louis
12-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Ham slices fried in bacon grease with a couple eggs, sunny side up and some home fries.

Wornslick
12-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Alot of good ideas for leftover ham. The mechanical contractor I work for out of St. Louis gives us a big ham for Xmas, plenty of leftovers.

Bob in St. Louis
12-28-2012, 08:16 AM
"Plenty" ????
I'm nearby if you need any help. ;)

boatnut
12-28-2012, 08:10 PM
if any leftover meat suitable for slicing, that gets vac-sealed and set aside for breakfast. Bone and any "scraps" or small pieces goes into navy bean soup. Not much of a ham loaf fan but that is another option if you have enough meat leftover. Ham n' cheese omelets, split pea soup with ham or set aside some to add to your next batch of Hog Apple beans!

Wampus
12-28-2012, 08:12 PM
^^^^THIS^^^^

With two small exceptions:

1. I've never done split pea soup
2. I prefer my Award Winning Peach Bourbon Baked Beans :becky: (not that there's anything wrong with Keri's!)

Been diggin on sammiches for a few days now. LOVE me some ham sammies with mayo & mustard! :thumb:

caseydog
12-28-2012, 08:48 PM
As I type this, I am eating some leftover Christmas ham and black beans.

I cooked diced ham with black beans in a crock pot, with diced onions, minced garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumino and a tiny bit of k-salt.

I cooked it for about 4 hours, low and slow, and served over rice with some grated Mexican cheese blend on top.

CD

Happy Hapgood
12-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Ham Swiss Loaf:

http://i46.tinypic.com/ac6dyf.jpg

Big Mike
12-28-2012, 08:59 PM
What all is in that Ham and Swiss loaf???????? Inquiring minds want to know.

Pitmaster T
12-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Next time you make a batch of good ole southern sweet tea brined fried chicken, be sure and fry up your ham in one inch chunks in LARD (real lard) along with a stick of butter until the ham crisps and the butter stops its frothing. Then pull out the ham chunks and you are ready to fry. But.... who makes real fried chicken in lard anymore. Just forget what I said.

Happy Hapgood
12-28-2012, 09:24 PM
What all is in that Ham and Swiss loaf???????? Inquiring minds want to know.

PM to follow:

http://i45.tinypic.com/wlews0.jpg

Cloudsmoker
12-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Toast - that looks fantastic.

Happy Hapgood
12-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Well I hope you folks will Vote for Toast in the Santa Throwdown here with my entry after the 17th of this month. You have to click on each entrant's name to see the whole display.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2wpt3qr.jpg

This is All LuzziAnn btw ;D

http://i45.tinypic.com/n2l7c5.jpg

jeffjenkins1
12-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Ham and cheese soup, Ham chowder, ham spread, etc...

Jeff

seattlepitboss
12-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Around here we grind leftover ham and freeze the ground ham. You can use it in soups, or salads, or you can make ham salad sandwiches, or you can scramble it up with eggs and potatoes and peppers and garlic and onions and cheese and fold it into tortillas and make "breakfast burritos". BBs are my favorite breakfast when I go salmon fishing where you have to be on the water while it's still dark.

seattlepitboss

code3rrt
12-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Well my preferred options are split pea or mixed bean soup, scalloped potatoes and ham, grilled ham and swiss on rye, scrambled eggs with ham and cheddar.

And now, I may have to add that ham loaf! Looks delicious, and you could probably do several variations on that, the wheels are turnin'!