PDA

View Full Version : Kosher Salt?

SC_Dave
12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm learning here...... What makes this better than regular Mortons iodized salt? I see it used a lot so theirs gotta be a good reason.
David

Cloudsmoker
12-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Personally,I think it has a cleaner, less intrusive taste - compliments the meat (or whatever) with less over-powering. For this reason, you may need to adjust your quantities (i generally use 1.5X) if following a recipe that calls for table salt

landarc
12-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I prefer the size and shape of the salt crystal in kosher salt

woodbutcher1
12-26-2012, 10:27 PM
google the topic you requested and you will have your answers. Not to be a SA. you will have all the answers including the diff. of sea salt also.

SC_Dave
12-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I can do that, not a problem. I just thought it may have been used in BBQ'n for a particular reason because that's where I've seen it used the most.
David

landarc
12-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Well, he could do that, but, perhaps the information he seeks is this.

The reason I prefer the shape and size of kosher salt is that I try to build the backbone of all my ribs to be about the same particle size as medium grind black pepper (#16 screen). I do this as I feel the rub handles better and distributes over the meat better. Regular table salt is too fine, which can lead to uneven spots.

landarc
12-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I actually learned about kosher salt from fine dining chefs, who taught me that if you season by hand, the larger size and flaky texture lends itself to both better control in the kitchen, a more delicate feel on the palate and better flavor. Many of them felt they could taste the iodine in table salt

cameraman
12-26-2012, 10:43 PM
There's also a reported difference between Diamond Crystal and Morton but someone else will have to tell you what it is.

landarc
12-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Particle size, every salt manufacturer has a different size particle. Measuring by weight is your friend here

westy
12-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Yup, definitely grain size and cleaner taste. If it interests you, there is a great book called "Salted" by the author Mark Bitterman that can give you everything you ever want to know about salt and more.

nycbbq
12-27-2012, 02:10 AM
Maybe this will help...
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/warning-measure-your-salt/

Trumpstylz
12-27-2012, 03:10 AM
Once you switch you won't go back.

benniesdad
12-27-2012, 06:24 AM
The Virtual Weber Bullet site had a great discussion on salt a couple of years ago. Very informative.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/salt.html

chad
12-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Kosher salt, traditionally, was used because of the coarse grain that allows it to "cut' into the surface of the meat. Different brands will weigh out differently and so in recipes (like sausage blends) it's good to weigh all ingredients. A tablespoon of Morton's kosher salt will be a different weight than a table spoon of another brand, but an ounce is an ounce.
Kosher salt does not have iodine and so the flavor is a bit different...also there are not anti-clumping agents.
Last and not least - it's "cool" to use kosher salt and fling it at your meat or pot! Find what you like and stick with it.
A chef I spend time with said the biggest reason he uses kosher salt in the kitchen is that it feels different than sugar and so a cook won't throw sugar or salt into the wrong dish!

wjwheeler
12-27-2012, 08:04 AM
How does sea salt fit in to this realm?
BTW - I never use iodized salt in any of my rubs, injections or brines.

Bob in St. Louis
12-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Once you switch you won't go back.
Amen to that. I haven't touched "the shaker" in a few years since I discovered Kosher salt.

Well....ok, I've used iodized a couple times out of necessity, but it has a strong chemical/burning taste now that I've become accustom to Kosher.

I also have some Italian flavored salt. It's made by seasoning the sea water with spices and herbs before it evaporates, so the salt that's left behind is "impregated" with the herbs and flavors. I've got pictures of the jar I have if anybody's interested.

Do a Google search for Himalayan Pink salt. :)

I love salt.

Mo-Dave
12-27-2012, 09:34 AM
I like the kosher manly because I have less of a tendency to over salt than with table salt.
Dave

j20832
12-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Morton's kosher has an anti-caking agent, Diamond does not (all of course based on my own personal experience with the products sold in my area, ymmv, check the labels).

Ironically, I can't find Diamond sea salt without an anti-caking agent, so for that I use Morton's sea salt (which around here does not).

caseydog
12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I can do that, not a problem. I just thought it may have been used in BBQ'n for a particular reason because that's where I've seen it used the most.
David

Each kind of salt has its own qualities, which make it better for certain applications.

I don't have Iodized salt in my pantry. I use mostly kosher salt, but sometimes fine sea salt.

As others have mentioned, different salts measure differently. It is best to measure salts by weight, not volume. Fine sea salt packs a lot more salt flavor by volume than kosher salt or good-ole Morton's. You have to make adjustments when you switch salts.

That's why I use mostly one salt for seasoning -- kosher. I know it well. I use the fine sea salt in my brines. I keep other salts around just to have if a recipe calls for one of them.

CD

Freddy j
12-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Regular table salt is too fine, which can lead to uneven spots.

Exactly :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Morton's kosher has an anti-caking agent, Diamond does not

Can you taste a difference in the brands?

landarc
12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
There are subtle differences in all salt, it comes from the other impurities that are in the salt source. My preference is Redmond RealSalt Kosher salt, it is mined sea salt and it has a taste and texture I prefer.

Diamond Crystal is second for me, and it clearly does not have an anti-caking agent, judging by it's tendency to cake up on me.

Scooter B
12-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm on the same page as everyone else, mostly grain size. I have a Brazilian friend that only uses "ice cream" salt. He likes the huge chunks.

aquablue22
12-27-2012, 03:25 PM
plus this, if you have or now anyone on a iodine restricted diet because of thyroid or other health issues, this trace amount can have an impact.

Iodized salt has been fortified with a trace amount of iodine. In addition to iodine, dextrose is added to the salt to stabilize the iodine. Iodized salt has a similar texture, shape and size as normal table salt.