PDA

View Full Version : Turkey and Hams for Office Party (Pron)

jalon
12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
So...tried to do a long schpiel about how I did the turkey and hams for the office party. I think it was too big. So, here's a few pics, along with what I did, shortened up. Nothing like being on the clock and sitting at home watching the UDS...:clap:

Brined that bird. Will never do one without brine again, it's so much better. Mix was a ratio of 1 gallon of water, 3/4c Morton's Kosher Salt, and 1/2c turbinado sugar. Plus peppercorns, and thyme. Actually made about 2 1/2 gallons of brine. Brined for 24 hours, then rinsed, patted dry, and sat uncovered overnight in fridge.

Got up at 4 AM...which sucks :twitch:...got the fire going. Rub the bird with canola oil, and brushed a honey/water mix on later after its cook.

I challenge anyone to find an uglier drum smoker in the Carolinas. Go ahead. Look at the pic. :becky:

She cooked fast. Had to hold in oven while hams cooked. Rubbed some brown sugar on the hams (they were already pre-glazed, but that's what I had).

Final products: (see pics, I couldn't embed...hmmm)

BTW, the last pic is of my bbq buddy. My original buddy passed on this year, but this old fart (15 years) is living out of spite just to make everyone mad...and the hope that I will drop some 'cue his way now and then. After 15 years, he's earned a few pieces.

Merry Christmas to y'all, or whatever you are celebrating. And for the Mayans...no, you can't have any, that's what you get for stirring everyone up!! :thumb:

1911Ron
12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Good looking food there:thumb: I love being on the clock and cooking! I would have to say that is an ugly uds:clap:

Johnny_Crunch
12-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Nice pr0n!

fingerlickin'
12-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Looks like a mighty fine feast. Merry Christmas to you too. :thumb:

pwa
12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Good Job!!
pwa

Bonewagon
12-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Nice!

Freddy j
12-21-2012, 09:53 AM
i can almost taste that ham, bet you had a lot of happy folks. :clap::clap:

caliking
12-21-2012, 10:34 AM
That's some good lookin' grub!

I brined and smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving and that bird cooked quick too. I was deperately trying to be on time coz my wife is always rolling her eyes about how late dinner gets when I'm cooking. The turkey was done 2 hrs ahead of schedule, so I had to hold it in the oven for a while. It turned out great though. Yours has a beautiful color to it.

All the folks smoking ham recently make me wanna do one too!