PDA

View Full Version : smoked pol sausage

Wolverine
12-18-2012, 04:02 AM
Hi all,
I live somewhat, about an hour drive from hamtramick Mi, they have the best pol sausage, they make so many kinds your head will spin, my question is does anyone know or have had experience in smoking pol sausage on a WSM?. and what type does best?.

kw
12-18-2012, 07:33 AM
If you're serious about Polish Sausage, or sausage making in general, I would recommend you check out any of the sausage making books by Adam Marianski. He has a book titled Polish Sausages, and it's one of the best books I've ever seen on the subject.

chad
12-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Question about your question?
I think you are talking about cooking your sausage on the WSM. You don't "smoke" purchased fresh sausage...it won't have cure in it and so you can't cold smoke it. However, you could hot smoke/cook at about 200 degrees and no poison yourself.
YMMV!

DC-Q
12-18-2012, 10:43 AM
I put them on at around 180-190. Definitely not over 200. for about 4
hours. The idea is to not let it split. The casing dries out a bit & gets kinda
crispy but the inside stays nice & juicy. Be sure to use a sausage with higher
fat content. I did one once that I didn't realize was kinda lean & it just dried
out and was inedible. I do them every holiday for an appetizer.

boatnut
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Chad's advise is spot on. If the sausage you are purchasing is "smoked kielbasa", then no need to further try and smoke it. Just use it in a casserole or other dish. If it's fresh kielbasa then you can put in smoker and "cook" it but it won't be the same as "smoked kielbasa". hope this isn't too confusing!

JONESY
12-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Every time I smoke a butt or ribs, I throw on some fresh sausage. I normally cook at 275*, and just pull the sausage when its ready. Don't over think it, just throw it on, it will pick up the smokey goodness from your cooker and be the best sausage you've ever had.