PDA

View Full Version : New guy with Mini WSM dreams....

C J
12-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone, 29 year old California male here who has almost obtained everything needed to build a mini WSM smoker. I bought a Weber Smokey Joe Silver today, as well as the Chinese version of the IMUSA 32 qt stock pot. Right at this moment I'm waiting for the wife to get home with the Weber so I can see if I have a perfect fit or not.

I went with the Silver version over the Gold because none of the local stores had the Gold, and I wanted this to double as a grill, and having the airflow come from below the charcoal bed makes more sense to me from a grilling standpoint. Was this a mistake? I'm aware of the clogged vent problem, but the stainless can mod seems simple and effective enough. I still have the receipt... does anyone feel the Gold would be worth returning the Silver for?

I'm currently researching thermometers. I'd like to get a digital thermocouple probe combo, but these are so expensive, I'm not sure if it's worth it. I may go with the Maverick ET73, but I've read quite a few negative reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. Any recommendations?

I'll buy the nuts+bolts and spare grates within the next couple of days. Then, after a quick paint job on the pot, I should have my smoker built!

I look forward to reading the threads here. Looks like a great site.

Thanks

BobM
12-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi CJ, a mini WSM is cool, good luck with your build!

Bob

EX~DY
12-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I've been using my Silver for quite a while. Been very happy with the mods. You'll be happy with your's I am sure.

aawa
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
You will love the mini. I use my 1-3 times a week. As for a thermo, I use the Maverick ET-732. It works great, you just have to make sure to not pull on the probes by the wires, immerse the probes in the sink, or kink the lines on the probes and the ET-732 work great.

You can get the Maverick ET-732 from most places. I recommend http://bbqequipmentstore.com/NEW-Maverick-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer-ET-732-ET-732.htm The proprietor is 5-0BBQ (a fellow brethern) He runs a great shop, that ships fast and has great service. And if I'm not mistaken you can get a brethern discount with a discount code (I cant remember it off the top of my head)

mbshop
12-09-2012, 09:56 PM
the silver is just fine. do the can mod and yer good to go. the silver would be easier to get higher temps. i've used my gold for the last few cooks and i'm just not sure of the results. the next few will be with the silver and then i'll know. one thing for sure is ya need to build a basket for the coals. better burn control. also make sure to replace the hardware withh ss stuff. that weber junk rusts quickly.

tish
12-09-2012, 10:05 PM
I got all the parts to give my son for his build when he came home from Afghanistan. It was a surprise for him, and I got the gold because I didn't know any better. I figured he'd be doing mostly grilling while he's still on base at Ft. Bragg, and I was right. People told me the gold would be better if he was going to do mostly smoking, but he hasn't had any problems grilling with it, either. With the mods, you'll probably be fine no matter which one you use. I do agree with George, though, regarding the stainless steel hardware. That's a must. Remember to post pics when you're done!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/lizzietish726/Michaels%20build%20and%20first%20smoke/GEDC0567.jpg

C J
12-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I just put the grill together and inserted the aluminum pot. Is there supposed to be a little give where the pot sits inside of the grill bottom, or is it supposed to be snug tight? I definitely have some give on mine.

The lid also doesn't go over the pot 100%. It's probably a 90-95% fit. Do I need to take the pot back and get another one?

C J
12-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Did a little more research.... looks like the Vasconia pot is a better fit. I had some saved up Amazon points and it will actually be cheaper than the IMUSA pot. Will return this one to Target tomorrow and wait for the Vasconia to arrive.

tish
12-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I got my son the Vasconia. Fits perfect.

C J
12-09-2012, 11:50 PM
The Weber hardware isn't stainless? That's surprising.

Does anyone have a parts list to replace the existing hardware? I'll make a trip to Lowes.

chriscw81
12-10-2012, 01:18 AM
I got all the parts to give my son for his build when he came home from Afghanistan. It was a surprise for him, and I got the gold because I didn't know any better. I figured he'd be doing mostly grilling while he's still on base at Ft. Bragg, and I was right. People told me the gold would be better if he was going to do mostly smoking, but he hasn't had any problems grilling with it, either. With the mods, you'll probably be fine no matter which one you use. I do agree with George, though, regarding the stainless steel hardware. That's a must. Remember to post pics when you're done!

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/lizzietish726/Michaels%20build%20and%20first%20smoke/GEDC0567.jpg

Well done, Tish. Your son is set!!

Scooter B
12-10-2012, 10:32 AM
I have a Silver with the Vasconia pot, works great, did the can mod, actually a stainless cat bowl from petsmart for $0.99. The pot seems to fit even better once she heats up, have to give it a bump to break it loose.
I'm using a couple of cheap digital probes for now, until i can get something better. Found one at a local sporting good store for 12 bucks and a decent Taylor on clearance too. They run about 3-5 degrees apart which is good enough for me. I have a regular thermometer mounted between the grills which is usually off by at least 20 degrees.
Over the past 3 weeks I've done a small butt, a hunk of flat, whole chicken, and just did two racks of babys just yesterday. My ECB is now collecting dust.

C J
12-10-2012, 11:22 AM
I have a Silver with the Vasconia pot, works great, did the can mod, actually a stainless cat bowl from petsmart for $0.99. The pot seems to fit even better once she heats up, have to give it a bump to break it loose.
I'm using a couple of cheap digital probes for now, until i can get something better. Found one at a local sporting good store for 12 bucks and a decent Taylor on clearance too. They run about 3-5 degrees apart which is good enough for me. I have a regular thermometer mounted between the grills which is usually off by at least 20 degrees.
Over the past 3 weeks I've done a small butt, a hunk of flat, whole chicken, and just did two racks of babys just yesterday. My ECB is now collecting dust.

I see a lot of people mount thermometers to theirs, but from what I'm seeing, they are usually off by a lot! Are there any thermometers of this type that are accurate? I've read some things about the Tel-tru BQ300 and other Tel-tru thermometers. Should I bother, or just save up for a good digital probe type thermometer?

1911Ron
12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I see a lot of people mount thermometers to theirs, but from what I'm seeing, they are usually off by a lot! Are there any thermometers of this type that are accurate? I've read some things about the Tel-tru BQ300 and other Tel-tru thermometers. Should I bother, or just save up for a good digital probe type thermometer?
I have an analog thermometer in the side of mine and is only off by a few degrees got it of Amazon, works for me YMMV just remember K.I.S.S and all will be good:mrgreen:
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/004.jpg

tish
12-10-2012, 01:01 PM

We tested ours, and they were fairly accurate. They were salvaged from an offset that was being scrapped. I had them laying around in a drawer, and my son liked the looks of them, so he included them in his build. But he still uses an instant read thermometer, too. Trust, but verify. :wink:

rg02
12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
You will love the mini. I use my 1-3 times a week. As for a thermo, I use the Maverick ET-732. It works great, you just have to make sure to not pull on the probes by the wires, immerse the probes in the sink, or kink the lines on the probes and the ET-732 work great.

You can get the Maverick ET-732 from most places. I recommend http://bbqequipmentstore.com/NEW-Maverick-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer-ET-732-ET-732.htm The proprietor is 5-0BBQ (a fellow brethern) He runs a great shop, that ships fast and has great service. And if I'm not mistaken you can get a brethern discount with a discount code (I cant remember it off the top of my head)

this man is right! if ya want, you can also pick up some 18.5" dampers on ebay and install em on the silver to make it similar to the gold. thats what i did on my silver mini wsm:
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g410/rygleason/6f4d3e2b.jpg

do yourself a favor and install a ubolt on the lid to hang it on the pot handle. very convenient:
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g410/rygleason/3BA1BCF9-DAEE-42C3-B90C-9EC4FD7F532C-1336-0000014EC177CB9E.jpg

also, dont forget your two probe feed thurs for the mav et732. i juse use a couple of short lamp kit threaded nipples with locknuts on each side (these can be found at your local lowes or HD electrical depts.) you can even buy a brass cap to screw on the outside threads to plug the holes up when not in use.......

have fun on the build! love my mini! so efficient!

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g410/rygleason/42E0C83E-F9A4-4BEB-ADE3-AB11B31361D1-4473-00000490EE87984C.jpg