PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Turkey question and Yardbird question...

jalon
12-09-2012, 10:19 AM
1. I am now doing Christmas at the outlaws, up in NC. It's about a 5 hour drive. I can't smoke a turkey there, my UDS isn't portable and they don't have anything other than a basic gas grill. If I do it here in Charleston, would I do it day of (early), or day before, how to transport, and most important, how to re-heat it so it's great?

2. Being out of Plowboys Yardbird is killing me...anyone know if it's sold in the Charleston, SC area?

Sorry for the shotgun questions, thanks guys!!

Drunk Monkey
12-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Do you have a Bass Pro? that is where I get mine.

Wampus
12-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Personally, I would not recommend trying to hold your turkey for a 5 hour drive. It likely won't be hot when you get there and even if it's still warm, it will NOT be the best product.

As far as Plowboys, can't you order it online and have it by next weekend?

imaisufan
12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I've cooked them, then froze with the juices and reheated slowly in a crock pot.
It worked, and got lots of compliments on the bird. but IMO no where close to freshly carved and served.

aawa
12-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Why not smoke the turkey there onsite? On the gas grill just put the bird on indirect heat, and then put a foil pouch of wood chips on the burners to produce smoke.

It will yield the best possible product you can do since you do not have a portable smoker. As well as yield a much better product than a bird that is transported 5hrs

jalon
12-09-2012, 02:18 PM
There's a Bass Pro Shop up in Mrytle Beach, but not in Charleston, and I was hoping to find some for Tuesday. Just hoping to find some local, that's all.

Their grill barely does burgers...not trusting dinner with it. Looks like I might have to find another solution. I've been frying them for years...just trying to be a little healthier this year.

Thanks folks!

wnkt
12-10-2012, 07:37 AM
I have smoked a turkey the day before at my house and sliced it up and vac-u-sucked it in several bags in a cooler with icepacks to transport several hours to my sister's house in NC.
This wasnt frozen just out of the fridge into the cooler

Mdboatbum
12-10-2012, 09:17 AM
You built a UDS so you can easily handle building a mini WSM. It's tiny, easily portable, and I can tell you from personal experience that it will fit a 15-16lb bird. Plus it's pretty cheap.