PDA

View Full Version : Jaccarding brisket?

jmoney7269
12-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Anyone ever use a jaccard meat tenderizer and like the hell out of it to get the marinade or rub deep in the meat?

JS-TX
12-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Nope, can't say that I have. I've taken a needle to it many times though.

ksace
12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I've used one a couple of times but haven't really noticed a difference.

Using tapatalk with my note II

Pig Nutz
12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I've experimented by using a fork instead of a jaccard. Tried it on steaks, brisket and ribs by stabbing them up to a couple hundred times after the rub is on. You should try that to see what you think. My results were good but the verdict is still out with me. I thought the meat cooked faster and stayed moister but am still experimenting with it. Next time I'm thinking of only stabbing one half to see if it's different than the other half to eliminate differences in slabs of meat.

landarc
12-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Smokinghotmama uses a jacquard on her brisket and swears by it

BBQchef33
12-04-2012, 10:30 PM
i've done it often. it does change the texture of the brisket somewhat.. and stretching the slices are difficult.. still do it on briskets for home.

and very important advice...

dont inject after jaccarding. Makes a mess...

dont ask me how i know that. :)

Bludawg
12-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Never done it to a brisket but it makes for a dandy Chicken Fried Steak. If you cook your brisket right you don't need teeth to eat it. So I reckon if ya can't cook a great brisket it would be a viable cheat but I bet it wont slice to well.

BigBellyBBQ
12-05-2012, 02:57 AM
I only use for leaner cuts, like a strip steak or chops..there is enough moisture naturaly in a flat especialy with the point on...and as BBQ Chef states about makinig a mess when injectinig...I heard this from a reliable source also as potentional mess in the makiing....
as you inject a brisket you can watch the juice travel through the meat (unjacarded)

jasonjax
12-05-2012, 07:35 AM
I think an interesting side-by-side test would be to inject one brisket as many do, and then jaccard another brisket and marinate it. Cook the same and compare. Leave all the other variables the same as well of course.

Sounds like an experiment I might have to try myself!

My hypothesis, were I using the scientific method and all, is that the jaccarded brisket will be more overall tender, but less juicy and maybe even less flavorful.

Where I personally use the jaccard is on leaner meats cooked at high temp and not to as high an internal temp. I think any cut of meat that is going to be cooked quasi low n slow to an internal temp where the meat becomes tender will benefit little from the mechnical nature of a jaccard's tenderizing.

We did a flank steak for fajitas the other night for dinner and I jaccarded the daylights out of it before marinating. Turned out most excellent.