PDA

View Full Version : What cut is this?

fantomlord
11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Picked up a whole lamb a few weeks back from a co-worker. Have this piece thawing for this weekend, but am not sure what cut it is...all of the cuts are labelled with fairly generic labels such as "lamb roast." :doh: Is this maybe a rib roast? my experience with lamb is limited to chops, legs, and ground (and now shanks)
also not sure if I should leave it whole, or break it down further, and what to do with it.

Thanks for the help!

powerpig
11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
That would be a rib roast. Do I win? :mrgreen:

fantomlord
11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
That would be a rib roast. Do I win? :mrgreen:

yes. and for your prize...my undying gratitude :heh:

BBcue-Z
11-30-2012, 05:28 PM
The best I could tell from your last picture, this looks like a Rib roast- see chart below, first cut below the neck. It may have been cut a little low, because I see the end of the rib cage and the start of the tenderloin (the small circle in the last pix). The large circle is the loin.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/bbcue-z/cuts_of_lamb.gif
I prefer to cut the rib section into rib chops and direct grill them to medium rare. Cooking it whole may not be a bad idea, just matter of preference.

MisterChrister
11-30-2012, 10:07 PM
It looks terrible, you should let me eat it :heh:

fantomlord
12-01-2012, 08:03 AM
It looks terrible, you should let me eat it :heh:

you'reso thoughtful :roll:

captndan
12-01-2012, 08:13 AM
So, who would know?

Yellowhair42
12-02-2012, 12:06 PM
The best I could tell from your last picture, this looks like a Rib roast- see chart below, first cut below the neck. It may have been cut a little low, because I see the end of the rib cage and the start of the tenderloin (the small circle in the last pix). The large circle is the loin.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/bbcue-z/cuts_of_lamb.gif
I prefer to cut the rib section into rib chops and direct grill them to medium rare. Cooking it whole may not be a bad idea, just matter of preference.

It's the neck/beginning of the ribs.There is no part of the tenderloin on that piece.That triangle shape bone on the left in pic #2 is the shoulder blade.

landarc
12-02-2012, 12:51 PM
It is a poorly butchered rack of lamb. The spine should have been removed before packing. Very few people would have the knowledge to remove it at home. It is normally roasted just like a rib roast from a steer.