PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on pulling my meat

jrn
11-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Howdy. Got a question about finishing a butt. Normally I start checking @ 190* IT. Then I use the bone and probe tests.

Last night I cooked a 9lb'er on the uds. Stayed in the 270-325 degree range. At 200 degrees IT, it still wasn't ready. I started getting worried about the butt drying out on me. I then pulled outta drum, foiled and into cooler. Rested for a few hours. It turned out somewhat dry in areas, bone never did let go.

Should I have....

A. Brought cooker temp down to 200*, so as to keep the meat @ approx 200*? Which would allow it to loosen up more, perhaps.

Or

B. Instead of panicking, just maintained cooker temp and kept going until butt passed the tests?

Thanks! Jason :)

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
11-27-2012, 05:27 PM
I would have kept on cooking it until it got tender. I can't recall ever seeing a dried out butt.

J-Rod
11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Youre kidding with the thread title right? HAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!

Bludawg
11-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Sorry I'm Ambidextrous! As for the Pork Butt I run old Big Jim at 300 when the bone gets loose It goes in to the foil and a cooler for an hr, I couldn't say what temp the meat is I never check it. Always comes out juicy & tender as a Mothers love. If it's dry and the bone aint loose cook it longer.

ToddM
11-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Wear gloves and don't get any onya.

BobM
11-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Now if this was in "The Wood Pile". :grin:

Anyway, I would have let her rip.

Bob

jrn
11-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Wear gloves and don't get any onya.

Indeed.

BarbequeKansasCity
11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
My two cents smoke at 250 or what ever you desire until the internal temp is in the 170 range then put it in a foil pan and wrap. Put it back in until the internal temp hits 195 - 200 pull it out of the smoker and let it rest covered in a cooler or wrapped in a towel. Don't start playing with it :p until the temp has dropped to 150 or around there. Pull it and eat it!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

JazzyBadger
11-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Yeah I've never experienced a butt getting dried out. They're so full of marbled goodness I'd figure that's almost impossible. One of the main reasons people recommend a person's first cook being a pork butt is for that reason.

When you pulled it, did it still have a lot of chunks of non rendered fat in the end product?

westy
11-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Gotta admit.... I was scared when I clicked.......

Skidder
11-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Out of the hundreds I've done I had two that never got to the pulling point. Both I brought past 213 and still no go. Ended up being slicers. Just the way it goes I guess. I too never bother with internal temps anymore but I did with these two. I usually just go with the bone pulling test.

Bertha's BBQ
11-28-2012, 03:16 AM
I smoke my butts 4 hours...wrap and cook for 6 more hours and meat will fall apart when you open the foil juicy as can be....tried something different last cook....injected apple juice and vinegar base sauce mixed together.....WOW..the meat was even more tender...the guys at work said it was the best ever. Buts have so much fat i have never dried one out even when I was new at it.

ccarter
11-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Title of the week!

jrn
11-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Yeah I've never experienced a butt getting dried out. They're so full of marbled goodness I'd figure that's almost impossible. One of the main reasons people recommend a person's first cook being a pork butt is for that reason.

When you pulled it, did it still have a lot of chunks of non rendered fat in the end product?

Naw. No unusual amounts of fat. About the same as always. Some of it was moist from the long resting period, I guess. But other parts I literally couldn't pull apart. Had to tear the meat off of the bone!

RAZORBACK JIM
11-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Keep smoking it until the bone is easy to remove....hard to over cook a butt.

Bluehawg
11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Youre kidding with the thread title right? HAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!
EXACTLY the same thought I had:biggrin1:... From the title, I thought surely this was in the "woodpile" section. LOL

jrn
11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys. Ok, so after I pass 190*, I'll forget about temperature. How often should I return and re-check? Just curious, because I don't wanna lift the lid any more than necessary.

jrn
11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
EXACTLY the same thought I had:biggrin1:... From the title, I thought surely this was in the "woodpile" section. LOL

Howdy neighbor!

Oh, and a......I have no idea what your talking about! :cool:

Sub-80
11-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Hilarious thread title!

Inside joke I have w/ my buddy when we are curing bacon...'time to go massage my meat'

There isn't a wrong way to do it :lol:

Bluehawg
11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Howdy neighbor!

Oh, and a......I have no idea what your talking about! :cool:
How about that! I didn't even look at your location there, we ARE practically neighbors. You wouldn't happen to know Jerry Reeves from out there would ya? Good friend of mine. I'm supposed to be heading out there to pick up my kid's show pigs this week maybe if I can get turned loose from work here.