PDA

View Full Version : selling sauce question

rookiedad
12-18-2005, 08:48 AM
does anyone have information on what has to be done in order to package sauces, salsas and rubs for sale? my brother makes great hot sauce and we would like to have it produced. any information you guys could provide would be great! thanks.
phil

Sawdustguy
12-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Phil,

Go to http://www.memphi.net/. They are doing our signature rubs. Simply contact them and they will send you a brochure. You will send them a sample and the recipe. They will have it analyzed by a lab for formulation and they will give you a quote on bottling and labeling. They will also ship you a sample. You will also need to budget $750 for a UPC barcode if you plan on selling it retail. ICA can also design your label for a charge. It is very difficult to bottle yourself because of all the local BOH and FDA inspections and regulations.

jpw23
12-18-2005, 02:53 PM
I checked with the fda and if you are selling less than 50,000 units per year, you don't have to do the nutritional info thing.....you really don't have to do anything unless you plan on selling on a really big scale.....just make sure your equipment is clean and you don't poison anyone.....that will stop your sales for sure!!!!

Sawdustguy
12-18-2005, 08:53 PM
That may be on a federal level but on a local he will have to get a license and pass Board of Health inspections. It is much easier to use a bottler.

qman
12-18-2005, 08:55 PM
That may be on a federal level but on a local he will have to get a license and pass Board of Health inspections. It is much easier to use a bottler.
Yep, and in most areas, he will also have to produce all product in a commercial kitchen subject to BOH inspections.

spicewine
12-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Don't be fooled!! You will always be at a liability when marketing a product.

I have 14 products on the market and I can tell you that no matter if you are just a local boy with a hometown product or a major player, you still have the same liability. Take the time to do things right before you jump into a market or you will end up spending twice as much to back track and do it the right way.

Example: Label----- Your product Name , Logo, nutritional values ingredients, Bar codes ect. Do I really need these??? Hell Yes!!

Your Name and Logo are a "Gimmie " You need these things

Ingredients-- A must have because there are alot of food alergies out there.

Nutritional Values and Bar Codes-- If you ever plan on selling you goods to any market, the first thing they are going to want is the Bar code. As far as Nutritional Value, My thoughts are , if you are going to spend all that money on labels, why not include all of the information that you will ever need to sell your product. If you buy labels , you will probably have to buy them in a large quantity to get the best price!! Make sure it's right the first time!!

REALITY:

Bar Code--- $ 750.00 Minimun ( Good for atleast 900 products )

Ingredients & Nutritional--- $ 100.00 ( Can get from a Contract Bottler or your local Dept. of Agriculture.)

Labels--- 4000 $ 500.00 ( Includes plate set up, Graphics and 3 color , ingredients, Bar Code, ect.)

Please feel free to contact me before you Jump!! I will be more than happy to help you through the process

Spice

Sawdustguy
12-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Qman,

Agreed. Here on Long Island there are some certifications required before they license you so there are some courses that need to be taken. Then you need a kitchen and bottling facilities that pass local Board of Health Inspections. I just looked into this and decided to go with a bottler or private label firm.

jpw23
12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Don't be fooled!! You will always be at a liability when marketing a product.

I have 14 products on the market and I can tell you that no matter if you are just a local boy with a hometown product or a major player, you still have the same liability. Take the time to do things right before you jump into a market or you will end up spending twice as much to back track and do it the right way.

Example: Label----- Your product Name , Logo, nutritional values ingredients, Bar codes ect. Do I really need these??? Hell Yes!!

Your Name and Logo are a "Gimmie " You need these things

Ingredients-- A must have because there are alot of food alergies out there.

Nutritional Values and Bar Codes-- If you ever plan on selling you goods to any market, the first thing they are going to want is the Bar code. As far as Nutritional Value, My thoughts are , if you are going to spend all that money on labels, why not include all of the information that you will ever need to sell your product. If you buy labels , you will probably have to buy them in a large quantity to get the best price!! Make sure it's right the first time!!

REALITY:

Bar Code--- $ 750.00 Minimun ( Good for atleast 900 products )

Ingredients & Nutritional--- $ 100.00 ( Can get from a Contract Bottler or your local Dept. of Agriculture.)

Labels--- 4000 $ 500.00 ( Includes plate set up, Graphics and 3 color , ingredients, Bar Code, ect.)

Please feel free to contact me before you Jump!! I will be more than happy to help you through the process

Spice

I may need to talk to you very soon!!!!