PDA

View Full Version : Ok, which grill to buy?

Plaid Palace
11-23-2012, 06:02 AM
Ok, as some of you have read I am getting a Kamado Joe for Christmas. The question now is, do I take the floor model already assembled or take one out of the store in a box? Is there any reason I wouldn't want a model already put together?

Jaskew82
11-23-2012, 07:12 AM
I thought kamado joes came assembled. BGEs don't.

GreenDrake
11-23-2012, 07:45 AM
They come already assembled. All you do is slip the top four pegs of the cart into the bottom part. Get the one in the box would be my recommendation. Also, make sure you don't throw out the ash tool, I have done it twice. It is in a tiny piece of cardboard that looks like packing material. The packing method is pretty slick, the sidewalls are in slots, very simple to unpack, and you get the benefit of the kid on Christmas morning opening it all up.

TN_BBQ
11-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Ok, as some of you have read I am getting a Kamado Joe for Christmas. The question now is, do I take the floor model already assembled or take one out of the store in a box? Is there any reason I wouldn't want a model already put together?

Will the box be less difficult to carry home?

I've had good luck with scratch n dents & floor models, so I like to save money whenever I can. The key is to make sure you get a good deal (they're usually a lot more flexible with their pricing on floor models, so regardless of the asking price, see if they'll drop the price more and/or sweeten the deal)

Plaid Palace
11-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Will the box be less difficult to carry home?

I've had good luck with scratch n dents & floor models, so I like to save money whenever I can. The key is to make sure you get a good deal (they're usually a lot more flexible with their pricing on floor models, so regardless of the asking price, see if they'll drop the price more and/or sweeten the deal)

A floor model won't be any cheaper. I asked, same price. All floor models appear to be in mint condition.

Mo-Dave
11-23-2012, 11:08 AM
It is not a ceramic but I bought a gas grill at Lowe's about 3 years ago and they wanted 20.00 more for the one on the floor put together. I took the boxed one home to save the money and regretted it. It took forever to get it together and we had a ton of packing material to dispose of. If you buy one on the floor assembled just make sure it is put together right and all the nut and bolts are tight, I have seen some with parts put on wrong.
Dave

Churrasqueiro Bob
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I'd get the one in the box. I prefer to be the first one to scratch my new toys. :mrgreen: