PDA

View Full Version : Pots and pans

juslearning
11-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Is there a good set of pots and pans, or individuals, that are fairly inexpensive? I am looking at about a $200 budget for Christmas.

SmokeFan
11-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Funny you should post this, I almost posted the same last week! I've been doing some research on this recently. One of the best reviewed sets I've seen for the money is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505

If you google it, you find all sorts of good reviews on the set, and from a wide variety of sources. I haven't decided if I'm gonna go that route or just slowly start an All clad collection one piece at a time. Hope others with more experience chime in!

Gnaws on Pigs
11-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Lodge cast iron is what you want for pans. I like stainless steel for stock pots. Once you get used to cooking in cast iron, you won't want anything else. A good quality 12" non-stick sautee pan is handy for some stuff, though.

TN_BBQ
11-22-2012, 06:10 AM
We (just about everybody in my family) all use Magnalite cookwear

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnalite-13-Piece-Cookware-Set-1040816/1603820

It's cast aluminum

We're probably all going to go crazy, because somebody, somewhere said something about cooking with aluminum will rot your brain.

Drh7003
11-22-2012, 06:42 AM
It is a good subject and I think everyone has an opinion on what they like.
When my wife and I were first married, we were gifted a set of good quality Farberware (Aluminum clad bottoms). They are nearing the end of their life span with me.
Last year, I started buying restaurant grade pots and pans for cooking at home. I like Winco stainless. Restaurant stores in my area are high on these. I bought most of mine on Ebay from a wholesaler. I think I have $50 in three saute pans 14", 10" and an 8". Locally, these were around $30 a piece. Oh, they are induction ready also.

When I worked in a restaurant, almost everything was aluminum, it works, but hard to be spotless cleaning them.

For BBQ and cooking on an open fire Lodge Cast Iron is my favorite.

I also have three large stock pots that are aluminum cast or spun. and one stainless stock pot. If you cook in salted water, aluminum will corrode and need a lot of elbow grease to clean them up. I am a "shine" fan, so I hate any discoloration.

I do have some Calphalon pieces, but they are used rarely anymore.

I like to have the right tool for the right job.

JMSetzler
11-22-2012, 06:47 AM
I have a few Cuisinart pieces that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond that are quite nice. They are made like the All-Clad stuff with the triple-ply bottom. They are priced nicely compared to most stuff and the quality is excellent.

On a more expensive note, I just bought a de Buyer 8" frying pan on Amazon for $40 that I love and will be buying the larger sizes. They are iron pans (not cast iron) and work very well...

Bludawg
11-22-2012, 09:56 AM
I have a Set of Wearever SS I got at WW a few years back it is all 18 Ga triple bottom. For 200 you can get 4 sets. I'll put them up against All-Clad any day.

cameraman
11-22-2012, 10:06 AM
America's Test Kitchen rates the Tramontina SS right behind All Clad. I've had a SS set by Cuisinart that I got at Sam's years ago and love it. It's very similar to Tramontina.

Foxfire
11-22-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm eyeing this set : http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-881012/zeroca-7-pc-cookware-set.jsp

Found some positive reviews for an entry level set, and very Eco friendly
http://housewares.about.com/od/cookwarereviews/fr/Zeroca-Carbon-Neutral-Cookware-Review.htm

Bigdog
11-22-2012, 04:08 PM
This is what we use for cooking classes at All Things BBQ. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/12-pc-cookware/prod6840154.ip?navAction=
Very nice set. Al Clad like at a much better price.:thumb:

1MoreFord
11-22-2012, 04:58 PM
I have a set of Emerilware similar to this one and like it a lot. It's an imported All-Clad rebranded.

Emeril by All-Clad E884SC74 Chef's Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set, Silver: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Williefb
11-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Academy Sports has some very nice cast iron cookware that's a bit less expensive than Lodge. I bought a BIG cast iron kettle for frying fish.

captndan
11-23-2012, 07:22 AM
"Decorate your counter tops" turned me off like a faucet. I'll stick with the better quality commercial aluminum type. Except a good cast iron skillet of course.

Philly-QueMaster
11-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Funny you should post this, I almost posted the same last week! I've been doing some research on this recently. One of the best reviewed sets I've seen for the money is this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505

If you google it, you find all sorts of good reviews on the set, and from a wide variety of sources. I haven't decided if I'm gonna go that route or just slowly start an All clad collection one piece at a time. Hope others with more experience chime in!

I did some research and ended up buying this set. Pretty much same quality a all clad but without the price. I'm very happy with them.

juslearning
11-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Academy Sports has some very nice cast iron cookware that's a bit less expensive than Lodge. I bought a BIG cast iron kettle for frying fish.

I bought the largest they had for making a small batch of chicken stew in. Only used it once since I bought it, but it worked good.

I already have 3 cast iron frying pans and a small and medium dutch oven.

The set at Sam's I have looked at every time I go in there, I just didn't know anything about GOOD quality stuff. I also have several Baker and Chefs frying pans of different sizes, which are ok, but nothing as a set.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am just going to let the kids "buy me" a set of the Tramontina from Sams for Christmas. Unless someone can change my mind.

Soybomb
11-24-2012, 12:14 PM
I think pots and pans are a lot like knives, you probably don't need a set, just get what you need. I have a couple cast iron skillets that are my main workhorses. I have a 14" stainless fry pan with lid that I can use if I want to brown something then stick it in the oven covered for a while. If I were shopping again for fry pans I'd likely look at cast aluminum. I have a 4 quart stainless pot with lid. The 6 quart enameled dutch oven is great for braising roasts. I also have a small cheap pot I use for sauces and oatmeals. I have a couple large stock pots. Teflon does not enter my home.

Basically figure out how you like to cook and in what and get the pieces.

juslearning
11-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I think pots and pans are a lot like knives, you probably don't need a set, just get what you need. I have a couple cast iron skillets that are my main workhorses. I have a 14" stainless fry pan with lid that I can use if I want to brown something then stick it in the oven covered for a while. If I were shopping again for fry pans I'd likely look at cast aluminum. I have a 4 quart stainless pot with lid. The 6 quart enameled dutch oven is great for braising roasts. I also have a small cheap pot I use for sauces and oatmeals. I have a couple large stock pots. Teflon does not enter my home.

Basically figure out how you like to cook and in what and get the pieces.

I already have all the basics that work just fine. Several SS stock pots, and restuarant pans. I don't really NEED any thing I am just wanting a nice set. May even get one of those hanging things to put some of it on.

GARNAAL
11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/wolfgang-puck-stainless-steel-cookware-set-18-pc/prod3650088.ip?cid=SPOT_4XL_1

seattlepitboss
11-24-2012, 02:53 PM
somebody, somewhere said something about cooking with aluminum will rot your brain.

This is an urban legend long since debunked by the American Medical Society.

seattlepitboss

caseydog
11-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I have owned all kinds of cookware. My favorite daily use pans are commercial pans from a Restaurant Supply store. Decent price, and they work great.

I currently do not have a "set" of anything. I have my Griswold raw cast iron, my Le Creuset enameled cast iron, my commercial skillets, and some All-Clad sauce pans. Over the years, I tried different cookware, and gradually figured out what I like and don't like. I kept the stuff like, and sold or gave away the rest. It's a personal thing, IMO.

CD

sheepdad
11-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Once I went to cast iron...It was all over. No question now.