PDA

View Full Version : Super sale on briskets...

daninnewjersey
11-13-2012, 07:44 AM
At the local fancy schmancy grocery store....killer deal huh :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Leatherheadiowa
11-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Is that a good deal on the coast? I understand supply and demand and commodity availability so if that is a good deal then I am blessed to have a Sams Club 4 blocks from my home that sells prime brisket for $2.72/lb.
It is like seafood is most likely cheaper for you than me so, it all evens out in the end.

tatonka3a2
11-13-2012, 07:58 AM
That is such a good deal I would leave it for the next guy!!

eggzlot
11-13-2012, 08:08 AM
I am in Northern NJ not Southern, but that is rather pricey. Costco sells it for under $3 a lb and so does Restaurant Depot. Heck even my Butcher is below $7.99'lb and I thought he was expensive!

daninnewjersey
11-13-2012, 08:17 AM
My butcher is $2.99/lb for packers 5 minutes down the road from this place

El Ropo
11-13-2012, 08:41 AM
When you are buying a flat like that you are paying for the time it took someone to trim it up all nice and neat. Not to mention it is choice grade and looks like a nice hunk of cow.

That being said, I can get choice flats like that down here for around $4.00/lb. Packers are almost half of that at $2.18/lb. Brisket is still a decent deal down here, but the cost of ground beef and cuts like ribeye, chuck roast etc are nutz. $4.79/lb for a ungraded chuckie.

Ackman
11-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I was at Stew Leonards the other day to pick up some of their porterhouse steaks that were on sale for $4.95 a pound, while there I just grabed a briskey flat figuring to make some pastrami. When I checked out I was floored at the cost...turns out that the Stew Leonards "Naked Beef Brisket" was $9 a pound....what is wrong with this picture--a little over 4 pounds of Porterhouse $22. 7 pounds of brisket $63--ouch

mr dirts bbq
11-13-2012, 09:39 AM
A&P supermarket in my neighborhood sells flats for $6 per pound, thank god for RD!

MeatyOakerSmoker
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I think I sense sarcasm that's not being picked up...

Outnumbered
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
My butcher is $2.99/lb for packers 5 minutes down the road from this place

Best reason ever to shop local.

Smoke & Beers
11-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Anyone else remember when brisket was considered a "less than desirable cut" and you could get them for next to nothing?

I guess this is the monster that we've created ourselves :doh:

retired trucker
11-13-2012, 04:06 PM
"Anyone else remember when brisket was considered a "less than desirable cut" and you could get them for next to nothing?

I guess this is the monster that we've created ourselves :doh:"
As posted by Smoke I Beers:

I remember when "flank steaks" were nearly free until Fajitas became popular. (In TEXAS) You could buy them in the supermarket for $.79 cents a pound all day long. Great grilled over mesquite fire and served with grilled onions. Oh well, a good time across the border in "Boy's Town" only cost $5 then. Not that I would know of course.:roll:

The_Kapn
11-13-2012, 04:40 PM
I think daninnewjersey posted in jest 8)

With that said, the average consumer is totally ignorant about meat cuts, their quality, their use/cooking, and their value.

We were in "Fresh Market" over in Tallahassee awhile back and they had Porterhouse on "sale" for $13.99/lb! We looked at them, and they had almost no marbling and were not even "graded". While we shopped some seafood, several folks scarfed them up!

My SIL from TX just left after a short visit. I had bought a Tri-Tip (hard to find around here) and cooked it for her Sunday. She "fawned" over it and said it was the best she had ever eaten! I asked her if she and BIL ordered "sirloin" steaks when eating out and she said--"No. We only order rib-eye if they do not have Tri-Tip" 8)

My neighbor (a great guy and otherwise intelligent) pays a dollar per pound premium for "country style ribs" over sliced up Butts even though I have offered to buy and cut them up for him.

Americans do not spend the time to get informed about meat or almost anything else. Never have and never will.

TIM