PDA

View Full Version : To Rub/Inject or Both

Iroquois
11-10-2012, 07:28 PM
This will be my 1st attempt at a brisket on the smoker and it is for a very good cause....to celebrate Veterans Day, therfore; I am looking to the BBQ Veterans for some help. I picked up a descent 8lb Flat today and while I prefer Apple and Hickory for my Butts, Ribs and Chicken, I don't know what to use for the brisket (Pecan, Mesquite, Oak). I am also looking for guidance on whether to Rub/Inject or do both. If an injection is preferred, I could use some recipes as I am only used to injecting my deep fried turkeys.
Many thanks toyou all and I look forward to sharing my experience along the way.

code3rrt
11-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd guess that the consensus from here would be to start with the KISS method. First attempt, start with a simple salt and pepper rub, once you have "the cook" right, time, temp etc, then work out your recipe from there and tweak it to your liking.

Also, you can use the search feature here and find ohhhhhhh I don't know, about a hundred or so variations on how to approach your cook, wood, time, temps etc.

Daggs
11-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I hope this can shed some light on the subject for you!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146794

traviosoway
11-11-2012, 12:20 AM
My preference for brisket (from only those three woods) is oak, then pecan, then mesquite. I inject and also rub.

TailGateJoecom
11-11-2012, 12:24 AM
This will be my 1st attempt at a brisket on the smoker and it is for a very good cause....to celebrate Veterans Day, therfore; I am looking to the BBQ Veterans for some help. I picked up a descent 8lb Flat today and while I prefer Apple and Hickory for my Butts, Ribs and Chicken, I don't know what to use for the brisket (Pecan, Mesquite, Oak). I am also looking for guidance on whether to Rub/Inject or do both. If an injection is preferred, I could use some recipes as I am only used to injecting my deep fried turkeys.
Many thanks toyou all and I look forward to sharing my experience along the way.

Ideally you would do both. The injection is more of a luxury that the competition cooks use and is not mandatory for backyard cooking. The rub is a different matter. You always want some kind of rub. I would forgo the injection to keep things simple, but I would never forgo the rub.

Bludawg
11-11-2012, 09:06 AM
All you need------Salt Pepper & Oak a Winning combination. Cook to probe tender meat temps are a guideline only.

The_Kapn
11-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Also lookie here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

Even has nice pictures. 8)

TIM

BobM
11-11-2012, 09:33 AM
I inject and rub, I like hickory or mesquite.
Good luck with it.

Bob

Enkidu
11-11-2012, 09:38 AM
If all you are cooking is the flat, I would definitely inject. Injecting isn't really all that needed for a packer, IME, but is for a flat. I don't really do anything special when I inject, just beef stock. Add a simple rub of equal parts salt, pepper, and mustard powder (or whatever your rub of choice happens to be) and you are golden. If you are injecting and adding a rub, look out for double salt jeopardy.

Lake Dogs
11-11-2012, 09:58 AM
If you use mesquite, use only a SMALL amount. On beef I prefer oak.

Definitely Rub. Injection is optional. I do, but I use a competition beef injection and
still have to be careful and only put in a small amount.

Iroquois
11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
A BIG thanks to:

Code3rrt, Daggs, Traviosoway, TailgateJoecom, Bludawg, The Kapn, BobM, Enkidu and Lake Dogs!!

For my first attempt at a Brisket, I have decided to go with a low and slow smoke using Oak, rub only and fat cap down. I think I have a handle on the cooking temp and how to check for doneness.

I will keep you posted on the results.