PDA

View Full Version : BBQ With Franklin: The Smoker (video)

PatioDaddio
11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but there's a new BBQ With Franklin video out.

BBQ with Franklin: The Smoker - YouTube

John

centexsmoker
11-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks Patio!

Vision
11-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks! PD

We can finally get some information from a guy who knows how to cook brisket. It's so nice someone put all the others in their place.

MarleyMan
11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for sharing, did not know episode #2 was out :thumb:

inv3ctiv3
11-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Awesome little web series

nucornhusker
11-02-2012, 03:21 PM
That looks like it will be a great series. Thanks!

armor
11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Did he drill that hole too large? 1"hole Perhaps my imagination.

luke duke
11-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks! PD

We can finally get some information from a guy who knows how to cook brisket. It's so nice someone put all the others in their place.

:rolleyes:

QorDie
11-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Considering they raised almost $20,000 for the production of this series, I'm surprised at how badly these videos have been shot. I'll forgive poor angles, or not zooming in to show exactly what AF is talking about. But the lack of any lighting, and the number of times the camera goes out of focus? What did the money go to?

inv3ctiv3
11-02-2012, 05:03 PM
$20,000 isn't a lot of money for an entire season of shows granted these are just short webisodes. The out of focus thing is part style which is a popular style currently due to the abundance of DSLR's being used to make the videos and partly an operator who doesn't know how to properly focus :p

PatioDaddio
11-02-2012, 05:07 PM
$20,000 isn't a lot of money for an entire season of shows granted these are just short webisodes. The out of focus thing is part style which is a popular style currently due to the abundance of DSLR's being used to make the videos and partly an operator who doesn't know how to properly focus :p

Roger that! $20K is peanuts and I think the production quality is very good for a web series.

John

Boshizzle
11-02-2012, 05:17 PM
I believe the focus thing is intentional. It helps the A.D. among us focus on the video. MTV pioneered the technique for the video game generation.

gtr
11-02-2012, 05:18 PM
$20k doesn't go far in that biz. And sometimes, when people in that biz should be editing content, they're farking around on a BBQ forum. Don't ask me how I know this. :spy:

tbutts
11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Anybody catch what brand of smoker he was modifying?

PatioDaddio
11-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Anybody catch what brand of smoker he was modifying?

I think it's an Old Country BBQ.

http://www.bbquepits.com/images/backyard_BBQ_smokers/BBQ_smokers_OC/2-OC20X48-closed.jpg

John

Kloogee
11-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I think it's an Old Country BBQ.

John

Yes, Franklin answers it in the comments for the video.

Am I the only one that thought this particular video was less than helpful? Put a therm in and burn it out? Not so much sage advice there. Having said that, I look forward to future episodes.

CarolinaQue
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes, Franklin answers it in the comments for the video.

Am I the only one that thought this particular video was less than helpful? Put a therm in and burn it out? Not so much sage advice there. Having said that, I look forward to future episodes.

No, you weren't the only one. Maybe they should have done that one before the trimming the brisket one. Kind of a start to finish approach to the series.

Dallas Dan
11-02-2012, 07:56 PM
hahaha! Thanks for posting PD. I saw that smoker sitting in the weeds out behind his restaurant a few weeks ago and thought it was some sort of joke. It looked like it had never been used. Considering the three BIG smokers he had going, he was definitely not using it for his restaurant.

Pitmaster T
11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Doesn't anyone use the meaty palm of their hand or sound to tell the temp anymore?

I love the statement that red and blue therm makes....

"BBQ going on in this region only"

Boshizzle
11-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Doesn't anyone use the meaty palm of their hand or sound to tell the temp anymore?

I love the statement that red and blue therm makes....

"BBQ going on in this region only"

Obviously, you haven't read all of the great and EXHAUSTIVE BBQ books from the last 30 years.

If you had, you would know that true BBQ only comes from North Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City, Texas, and, on occasion, Georgia. And, they all cook it LOW AND SLOW at about 190* to 225*.

In fact, if you read those impeccably researched books, you will learn that American BBQ was invented in North Carolina and George and so was Brunswick Stew, Heck, Georgia even has a plaque from 1898 that proves it.

Sheesh, bro, get with the program!

Toronto
11-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Something tells me hes going to make his 'PBS' brisket in that cooker.

PatioDaddio
11-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I love this place, I really do. However, it never ceases to amaze me
that there are a few (very few) here that make a hobby of trying to
find the fly droppings in the pepper.

John

Boshizzle
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
:roll:

PigTamer
11-02-2012, 10:22 PM

John

Nice!

Pitmaster T
11-02-2012, 10:24 PM

John

I would never give away your secret.

El Ropo
11-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Oak trees were harvested for BBQ wood in Texas long before 1898! I don't think they used thermometers back then either.

CarolinaQue
11-03-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm pretty sure that these videos are being done for the novice in mind. I know that when I first started, I looked at the thermometers on my cooker far to often. Now, I listen as I walk up to it first and only look at the thermometer to confirm what I am hearing.

stewartr002
11-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for posting this vid. I've subscribed and will frequent his site. As a videographer, I appreciate what goes into making these. As a BBQ enthusiast, judge, and frequent cooker, I'm enjoying seeing others techniques presented in HD video and audio quality and with camera angles/closeups that show the details. Thanks for sharing.
Randy

FireChief
11-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for posting ! And to all those who poo poo these cheap big I spent years cooking on cheap stuff before I put out for a professional pit. As always, it's the cook, not the cooker...

DJnKY
11-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Not searching the pepper...but "modify and season"
If a novice watched this vid he would think all that is involved in seasoning a new smoker is to burn it "till it no longer smells like paint burning"? Expert advice? :mad:I believe it could have been done better.

RW
11-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Back on topic, this is turning into a great informational series. Thanks for the heads-up, PD.

Vision
11-03-2012, 05:35 PM

John

They're jealous, ignore them.

Anyway thanks for the thread, and your turkey brine rocks. I live about 30 min from Old Bay headquarters.

neuyawk
11-04-2012, 04:27 PM

So you got nothing from any of the many many posters in this forum? All the thousands of pages of trial & error data and lessons shared on this forum were "put to shame"?

I'm not saying you shouldn't be a Franklin fan, I certainly am, but to say these two videos offerred more information than the hours of freely shared knowledge is uncalled for.

I don't know jack about making excellent brisket, not my focus at the moment so you're definitely not offending me. I do believe there are several posters on this forum who deserve better than to be casted as not truly knowing brisket.

PatioDaddio
11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
I believe that Vision's reply was largely an exercise in
facetiousnes, perhaps with a twist of pepper pickin'. ;-)

John

GMDGeek
11-05-2012, 10:24 AM

John

Well said!

Manimal
11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for sharing those vids!