PDA

View Full Version : $3.79 lb for Pork Belly????

chrischandler71
11-02-2012, 10:08 AM
I became interested in making my own bacon after seeing some of the threads about curing your own pork bellies to make bacon. I called a local butcher and got a price of $3.79lb. Is this about right, or should i call around a few other places? I have had some what of a difficult time finding it with out having to order it.

jacksedona
11-02-2012, 10:11 AM
i hear there is a shortage of pork especial;y with china buying up alot of pork,this is also due to the drought over the summer causing grain prices to go up-feeding pigs has become expensive

tatonka3a2
11-02-2012, 10:37 AM
We have to order ours a week in advance - local price in ND is $2.09 right now. It wouldn't hurt to call around to a few more places.

centexsmoker
11-02-2012, 10:44 AM
I paid around $2.89 for mine at a fancy store this week. You are in the high end of the range but it can be hard to find. if you don't see it anywhere else, pick it up and give it a try. Super easy and lots of fun

Teamfour
11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
I have been calling around to places in metro DC. A local boutique butcher wants $7.99/lb for Berkshire pig bellies. He claims the pigs are specially fed, blah, blah, blah. Whole Foods wants $5.99/lb. A meat supplier quoted me $3.50/lb, which is what I am going with. BTW, these are all skin on bellies.

centexsmoker
11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I have been calling around to places in metro DC. A local boutique butcher wants $7.99/lb for Berkshire pig bellies. He claims the pigs are specially fed, blah, blah, blah. Whole Foods wants $5.99/lb. A meat supplier quoted me $3.50/lb, which is what I am going with. BTW, these are all skin on bellies.

Berkshire bellies are the top of the line bellies but $7.99 is really high for any pork belly

I would probably still buy it to try though :)

chriscw81
11-02-2012, 05:22 PM
i've been paying 4.00 a pound and it's the cheapest i can find it locally. i can find it for 3.50 but the drive would be more than saving 50 cents a pound. even at 4 a pound it will still be the best bacon you've ever had and cheaper than a lot grocery stores. cure your own and i promise you will stop buying it from the store. dont forget the bacon pron :biggrin1:

aquablue22
11-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I have to order it and it usually run about 3 bucks a pound, only place that will order it for me in the one horse town! I had another guys get me some and it was 2.79 but it sucked looked like a came off a skinny pig!

Boshizzle
11-02-2012, 05:31 PM

I WISH I could find skin on pork belly! Good stuff! Best I can do is skin off around $3.50 - $3.95 per pound.

Beef
11-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I was shocked at the $3.79 I had to pay for my belly in Wisconsin. Shop around. I hope your mileage varies!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teamfour
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I WISH I could find skin on pork belly! Good stuff! Best I can do is skin off around $3.50 - $3.95 per pound.

Boshizzle, where are you getting your bellies? The 3.50 ones I found are at Wilsons in Catlett, VA.

chrischandler71
11-02-2012, 06:29 PM
I have a few more places to check. I have a local grocery store that can order it, but i have found its hard to get a confirmed price from the few places i checked. This butcher that gave me the 3.79 price had just ordered some for another customer. I may just go ahead and pick it up.

chriscw81
11-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Boshizzle, where are you getting your bellies? The 3.50 ones I found are at Wilsons in Catlett, VA.

Wilsons in Catlett, VA is the place where i found it for 3.50 also. i get mine locally in downtown fredericksburg. if there is another place around us i'd love to know about it

chris

Dr_KY
11-02-2012, 11:04 PM
It would be nice to find curing agents around here!

chriscw81
11-02-2012, 11:12 PM
It would be nice to find curing agents around here!

You should be able to find curing salt, if not, order Morton's tenderquick online. You'll need the tenderquick plus whatever spices you decide

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

el_matt
11-02-2012, 11:23 PM
There's a mom and pop store down the street from me. They sell various sizes of belly for about $3-$3.50lb. I can get a small piece to try it out, or a whole belly to ply some magic. They also sell the cure, any amount you need.

Matt

Sean "Puffy" Coals
11-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Call, call, call some more. I found a very small local place near me that quoted me "under $2 per lb". I do have to special order a whole 35lb case and give a few days notice, but I'll have bacon for at least a month! I even talked my boss into splitting the case with me so it's not so much of a hit to my wallet.

Don't be afraid of the small guys!

CarolinaQue
11-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Call, call, call some more. I found a very small local place near me that quoted me "under $2 per lb". I do have to special order a whole 35lb case and give a few days notice, but I'll have bacon for at least a month! I even talked my boss into splitting the case with me so it's not so much of a hit to my wallet.

That's a great deal!!! Heck, who can't use 35 lbs of bacon???

chriscw81
11-03-2012, 09:08 AM

I would buy 35 pounds for that price in heart beat.

Dr_KY
11-03-2012, 12:29 PM
You should be able to find curing salt, if not, order Morton's tenderquick online. You'll need the tenderquick plus whatever spices you decide

Thanks, that's the plan I think unless I can find an equivalent around here. Pork belly is cheap from my local butchers.

GARNAAL
11-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I always get my fresh pork in the Chinese grocery stores here in Houston (Hong Kong etc..)

bonesless shouders run ~ $2.10
Skin on, nice meaty Bellies ~ $ 2.19
Boneless fresh ham ~ $2.25..

buccaneer
11-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Locally, $16 per kilo:Cry:

The_Kapn
11-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I bought a case of 3 full pork bellys (about 30-35 ish pounds) last year for $2.19/lb.

No way I was gonna pay the full retail price of fully processed bacon for the same stuff they make it out of! :evil:

"Creative shopping around" is the key, just like with many meats.

TIM

Teamfour
11-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Picked up 10 lbs for 3.50/lb today. If my bacon turns out good, I will then try to get a case for a reduced price. I went to an asian market and they had sliced and chunks of belly, but I couldn't find any one who spoke English to ask about whole bellies.

RL Reeves Jr
11-04-2012, 11:04 AM
i hear there is a shortage of pork especial;y with china buying up alot of pork,this is also due to the drought over the summer causing grain prices to go up-feeding pigs has become expensive

If you've got an Asian mkt in your area they might have a better price. Here in Austin I pay a buck 79 a pound for a ten pounder.

Patrickkva
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
In the DC area you might want to look in the Latin American supermarkets (mercados). Best Way & El Eden have skin on pork bellies at decent prices. My Spanish is horrible, but I've had luck getting large bellies from both places.

chrischandler71
11-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I know we have a Spanish grocery store here in town. I will have to check with them. I am not sure about the Asian supermarket. It seems like we might one if them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teamfour
11-04-2012, 11:27 AM
In the DC area you might want to look in the Latin American supermarkets (mercados). Best Way & El Eden have skin on pork bellies at decent prices. My Spanish is horrible, but I've had luck getting large bellies from both places.

Great info!! Thanks.

SirPorkaLot
11-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Ditto on the Asian markets.
I can get it locally for ~2.29lb with skin on.

Same price in California at the Asian markets as it was in Georgia.

chrischandler71
11-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys!!! I found it at a local Hispanic Grocery for 1.99lb.. The guy said they carry it all the time. I am stoked to not have to pay 3.79lb! I was wondering though, do these Hispanic markets have pass meat inspections.. I would think so, just wondering.

centexsmoker
11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
that's what I pay at Whole foods so you can assume that's on the high end. It's in the park though

centexsmoker
11-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys!!! I found it at a local Hispanic Grocery for 1.99lb.. The guy said they carry it all the time. I am stoked to not have to pay 3.79lb! I was wondering though, do these Hispanic markets have pass meat inspections.. I would think so, just wondering.

They have to pass just like any other market would

Haveuseen1?
11-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Last time here, I payed 1.99 per pound, just a month or so back. I called yesterday to make sure the buther had some and they are up to 2.59 per pound.

I have checked all all the asian markets here, and none carry pork belly. One carries sliced pork belly, but not whole.

Ackman
11-29-2012, 12:01 PM
I can get them at RD by the case lot at something around $2+ a pound at least the last time, but it was a 60 pound box and I have no where put that away. I just ordered 15 pounds of Neiman Range bellies from Whole Foods $5+ a pound -- making bacon for Christmas presents along with smoked salmon, cheese and almonds