PDA

View Full Version : Stew Meat for Burnt Ends(?)

LeeBo
11-01-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm going to cook some ribs & shoulder in my WSM tomorrow. While I was at the grocery store I got a hankerin' for burnt ends. However, I don't have enough time to do a brisket followed by burnt ends.

I did see a package of tenderized stew meat and left the store with it and a small ventilated grill topper (like for vegetables). Yeah, sorta questioning it myself. But what the heck, it was only $5.

So, any ideas/comments/insight to get me pointed down the right path? Think it's possible?

Arlin_MacRae
11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
In my estimation you'll get decently flavored jerky nuggets! There's not enough fat in those to do the trick, IMO, but I've never tried it, nor have I slept at a Holiday Inn that served them. ;-)

IamMadMan
11-01-2012, 09:17 PM
^ +1 I agree.....

Make kabobs with them on the grill....

LeeBo
11-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Arlin - that should have come with a Coke Spewer alert! My in-laws and I got a kick out of it. Oh well, I'll try it and see.

LeeBo
11-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Guys - I think I'm on to something. I'm not going to falsely claim they're as good as old school burnt ends, but they are surprisingly good!

I prepped it with a rub, salt, and syrup and smoked for 2 1/2 hours. Pretty darn decent. I think 2 hours would have nailed it. (Well, for stew meat that is.) Very good flavor and outer texture but slightly headed toward jerky. It's currently foiled and in an insulated chest with the ribs.

I definitely see reason to try it again.

landarc
11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
A lot depends on the stew meat. Often, stew meat is made from various scraps, but, at least occasionally, it is clearly made from chuck. That makes great caramelized meat chunks.

Pitmaster T
11-02-2012, 10:03 PM
In my estimation you'll get decently flavored jerky nuggets! There's not enough fat in those to do the trick, IMO, but I've never tried it, nor have I slept at a Holiday Inn that served them. ;-)

You never see me that harsh to folks. ;-)

OP, don't let people tell you, you can't do something. Arlin may in fact be right, but genius begins with finding what you have to do differently in order to get the same results or near the same results.

Example.... I recently did a fried chicken luncheon for 300 using lard. If anyone had of seen me melting the lard no one would come. But they didn't and all said "it was like the fried chicken of the old days."

Only one has died so far. It always comes down to that one last molecule of cholesterol that kills someone.

Just because a meat won't yield with one process doesn;t mean it wont with another. Let the people that fail at all sorts of things think that way.

Its not like its something important... like the fact that using fresh meat of any kind instead of frozen prepped meatballs are in fact NOT moinks.

Arlin_MacRae
11-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Guys - I think I'm on to something. I'm not going to falsely claim they're as good as old school burnt ends, but they are surprisingly good!

I prepped it with a rub, salt, and syrup and smoked for 2 1/2 hours. Pretty darn decent. I think 2 hours would have nailed it. (Well, for stew meat that is.) Very good flavor and outer texture but slightly headed toward jerky. It's currently foiled and in an insulated chest with the ribs.

I definitely see reason to try it again.Good deal! Couple of questions: How hot was your pit? And did you smoke them on a wire rack or in a pan? Oh, a third question... What do you call them?! :becky:

You never see me that harsh to folks. ;-)

OP, don't let people tell you, you can't do something. Arlin may in fact be right, but genius begins with finding what you have to do differently in order to get the same results or near the same results.

Example.... I recently did a fried chicken luncheon for 300 using lard. If anyone had of seen me melting the lard no one would come. But they didn't and all said "it was like the fried chicken of the old days."

Only one has died so far. It always comes down to that one last molecule of cholesterol that kills someone.

Just because a meat won't yield with one process doesn;t mean it wont with another. Let the people that fail at all sorts of things think that way. The

Its not like its something important... like the fact that using fresh meat of any kind instead of frozen prepped meatballs are in fact NOT moinks. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone but you saw my comment as" harsh" and I certainly didn't intend to come across as being "that guy". :wink:
It looks like he's come up with a great way to turn cheap meat into something good, which is what we love in the BBQ community. Matter of fact, he's giving me a side idea. Rock on, LeeBo!