PDA

View Full Version : OBR Operation NY/NJ needs help

Muzzlebrake
10-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Operation BBQ Relief will be up and running possibly as early as tonight in Forked River NJ and by weeks end in lower Manhattan. Anyone interested in volunteering or donating either cash or supplies please sign up on the OBR website (http://operationbbqrelief.org/contact/registration) or Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/OperationBBQRelief)

If you have trouble making contact, please get ahold of me either here or email me muzzlebrake@mac.com

Mrfish
10-31-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey, have pit will travel. Dozen of Butts make a whole bunch of Sandwiches!

Invicta Q
11-01-2012, 07:02 AM
When I went to the Royal it appeared that OBR was all talk, but it seems that they have action to back it up. Well done guys and girls.
Invicta Q

Bigdog
11-01-2012, 07:38 AM
When I went to the Royal it appeared that OBR was all talk, but it seems that they have action to back it up. Well done guys and girls.
Invicta Q

Not sure how you got that impression. This group is all action. No corporation, no hidden agendas, and no bs. Just 3 guys that saw a need in Joplin Missouri and decided to do a courageous thing and a bunch of other great folks jumped in.

Invicta Q
11-01-2012, 08:11 AM
Big Dog, I hope that you don't mind but I have placed a post on the BBBQS forum to get the British Q fans to find out the good work you do.http://www.bbbqs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2833

Invicta Q

Dr_KY
11-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Invicta Q

OBR is pure class and selfless. There is a bit of talk about getting something similar going here in the UK. Not affiliated but a BBQ way to help serve to the standards of OBR.

Invicta Q
11-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Let me know fella as I'll be up for it.
Invicta Q

aawa
11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
I want to say thank you to OBR for being so selfless and giving in a time when people are in need.

As a person that has been through several hurricanes where power has been lost for weeks on end, I can honestly say that a home cooked meal is greatly appreciated when almost all of your meals come out of a can.

When pay day comes around I'll make sure to try to do my part and donate to you guys!

QansasjayhawQ
11-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Hey everyone - just wanted to let you know that Jeff posted an update for OBR - they need some help!

http://www.operationbbqrelief.org

http://www.facebook.com/OperationBBQRelief

From Jeff: "Folks, there are already millions without power, thousands of homes flooded out and at least five deaths already reported from Hurricane Sandy slamming ashore and Operation BBQ Relief is ready to mobilize again to provide hot meals to people in need. We fed over 60,000 meals after Hurricane Isaac. This time, as many as 60 million people may be effected! We really need your help! We are a 501c3 not-for-profit and as a co-founder, I can assure you that 100% of your donations for this disaster will go towards disaster relief... 100%! We anticipate needing an additional $15,000 over current funds. Can YOU help? Every bit helps! Go to our website at www.OperationBBQRelief.org to donate. Regardless of the default amount, you can change to whatever you can contribute, bigger or smaller! Please help us with your tax deductible contribution tonight! Questions? Just ask me! Thank you so much!"

Can you pitch in $3?

If each one of the people who frequent this forum home of ours would pitch in just $3 . . . wow.

aawa
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
From my short time here on BBQ Brethern, I have noticed how benevolent this community is. I am sure that the Brethern will come together to help OBR raise funds to assist those effected by Hurricane Sandy!

BBQchef33
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
im out of touch guys.. no phone, power, cable, internet, heat, occasional texts blast come thru in spurts. Will try to keep in touch but if details get worked out, someone text me and I will do my best to get down to Manhattan. got this in thru a mobile hotspot i found.

Garyclaw
11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Payment sent.

Good Luck Guys and be safe!

Ackman
11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Be careful guys....there like no gas in this area.

Sending a donation

Garyclaw
11-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Bump!!

McQ
11-01-2012, 08:02 PM
My donation is in, Good Luck and be careful.

Mike

bbqbull
11-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Wife and I joined as part of the Founders Club of OBR. I had the pleasure of helping cook and feed over 2500 folks displaced by a category 3 tornado just before St. Patrick's day this year. It was in S. E. Michigan. Wife and I donated more cash 2 nites ago to assist in feeding the less fortunate than our family.
I know what it means to go hungry and sleep in the cold.....nuff said!

stan
11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Invicta Q

Wow never heard that before! You would think 206,000 meals that had been served in 56 days in the field would be more than talk! Wonder who you talked too!

Sorry if you take that chitty but sort of a gut punch or maybe just a little tired and testy!

stan
11-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Brethren thanks for the support! It has been a logistical nightmare so far. We have never had such a hard time wanting to cook and serve those in need and the first responders helping them! Rob Marion is the man on the ground with a lot of support from the OBR group in the background!

Invicta Q
11-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Just sent a donation

centexsmoker
11-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all you do. I donated and signed up to volunteer. I'll also facebook you and post this to the BGE forum which I haunt regularly. I'm sure they will forgive the shameless plug for such a great organization.

My wife and I are former restauranteurs and caterers. We are glad to help wherever you will have us

armor
11-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Joined as Founders Club member. We are doing what we can to raise more money. This am I saw people looking through dumpsters for food. OBR can make a difference. They just need continued support. We need to keep this thread up front.

chickenchoker
11-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I am in Secaucus, Hudson County, NJ. I am available to help this today and this weekend with any of the efforts. let me know and keep up the great work

AustinKnight
11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Have y'all made a kickstart page, it might help funding, just a thought. This is a great deal serving q in a time of need wish I could help out but I have a family loss going on so I'm tied up my grandma that passed would love this.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

eggzlot
11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Just chatted with an OBR rep on email. They are still putting together plans for the area. I am in Bergen can can help in Bergen or the surrounding counties.

Also I emailed info@operationbbqrelief.org and they confirmed they put me on their list for when help is needed in various areas

I also let them know, the OBR donate page is acting very slow. I am hoping its not a tech problem, maybe just over taxed servers if people are actively on the website donating - which is a good thing. They said they'll look into the issue, hoping to make donations quicker/easier.

armor
11-02-2012, 02:08 PM
bump

42BBQ
11-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Latest from operations page. Bottom line, still getting setup, http://operationbbqrelief.org/current-operations/details

landarc
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Done here as well. Good luck fellers.

MarleyMan
11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I wish I could come help out, but donated to the cause. I will post this up on my Facebook as well to help spread the word. :thumb: Good Luck folks!!

42BBQ
11-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm three and half hours from Forked River, hoping to haul a load of butts and charcoal on Monday if the are up and running.

42BBQ
11-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Bump

stan
11-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Just sent a donation
Invicta Thank You for the support! I also want to apologize for my rant earlier! No excuses should have done that!

Operation BBQ Relief appreciates all the Brethren support!

Garyclaw
11-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Just went to OBR site to check on progress of the current operation and it is very slow.
Hope this doesn't discourage donations.

Jeff Hughes
11-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Just went to OBR site to check on progress of the current operation and it is very slow.
Hope this doesn't discourage donations.

We served about 3500 meals yesterday, and will double that today at least cooking from three locations. Logistics are incredibly difficult.

By the end of Sunday we probably will have completely depleted our resources.

We need cash donations and in kind protein donations.

daninnewjersey
11-03-2012, 09:02 AM
This is the first day I've seen TV or the internet since the storm hit. We got clobbered here in the Atlantic City area...not as hard as BLI or those places thank God, but it is still a huge mess. The BBQ relief is certainly a cause I'm gonna support, because this whole state needs help....

QansasjayhawQ
11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey, Brethren -

The Operation BBQ Relief guys will run out of resources by the end of the day tomorrow.

Please, if you can give any amount at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

As the quote on their donation page says "If you can't feed 100 people, feed just one."

http://operationbbqrelief.org/donate

If every person who reads this would donate just $3 - that would generate a good deal of support.

Thank you for your consideration.

strmrdr
11-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I am an electric lineman and have been on many hurricanes and other natural disaster in the last 25 years. I always appreciate the people bbqing for us at the stageing areas.from mass where I live to Florida, Mississippi and other areas we have been. This is a great thing you are doing, and I am happy to donate! I am in Connecticut this week and had some good BBQ last night at a place called The Cookhouse in New Milford. What a treat that was after a 17 hour day putting lights on. Thanks for what you all are doing hope my donation helps

chicagokp
11-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Just donated. Great job everyone.

Beef
11-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Just donated. Keep up the great work!

42BBQ
11-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Just talked to Jessie at Meadowcreek BBQ supply, I'm hoping to make a run to Forked River on Thursday. Looking to take butts, charcoal, and rub. Also going to pick up a couple gas cans and I'll take them filled too. Keep up the good works guys. Let's keep OBBQR rockin

42BBQ
11-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Thursday is the earliest MC will have the quantity of butts I want to take. They are giving me everything I buy for OBBQR at cost.

LittleHill Smoke
11-03-2012, 02:32 PM
:thumb:

bigdogphin
11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Donated and posted this in the PNWBA forum....wish I could help more.

QansasjayhawQ
11-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Just bumping this thread to keep it from slipping too far down the line . . .

Operation BBQ Relief also keeps their Facebook page updated with the latest information on their activities:

http://www.facebook.com/OperationBBQRelief?fref=ts

QansasjayhawQ
11-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Donated and posted this in the PNWBA forum....wish I could help more.
That's awesome. Every little bit helps and getting the word out also helps.

42BBQ
11-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Anybody in the know that can post or PM me Exactly where they are in jersey? I want to drop them a bunch of butts, rub, and charcoal on Thursday. That is te soonest I can get the quantity of pork I want to haul.

42BBQ
11-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Hot off the press from the FB page. Now setting up new location in Hoboken NJ, teams needed/cookers needed. Calling all NE Brethren!

htrisna
11-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Just sent mine. What a great feeling!

Patrickkva
11-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Donation sent. Thanks to all those on the ground helping out.

Garyclaw
11-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Outstanding Brethren!!!

eggzlot
11-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Just posted in the competition section too - they are at 14th and washington avenue. if you know people in need of food, please direct them there. I am not sure if they will need mass help tomorrow with service, check back tomorrow for those updates.

not sure what is left over tonight, I left about 90 mins ago but there was still chicken and hot dogs left to be served. Tomorrow there should be cases of butts ready to hand out as they were in the process of loading up four smokers to start the cooking.

Please also try and donate if possible to OBR, they really need your support.

42BBQ
11-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Just saw on FB page, 14,500 meals served in two days. And one of those days included setup. OBR beat the Feds and a lot of others in getting in and getting help to those in need.

Side note: OBR is updating FB page much more so than webpage. Go to FB for updates.

Mrs. Mafia
11-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Dropped off coffee and donuts to the guys and ladies working in Hoboken a bit ago. Busy busy in prep for tomorrow. Proud of the work they are doing! BBQMafia, Chicken Chokers, 3men& a Babyback, Chris Hart are there to mention a few....God Bless them all:)

Jeff Hughes
11-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Okay Guys, we need a pallet of charcoal hauled from Mechanicsburg Pa to Neptune or Brick NJ.

Can anyone help?

BettysNephew
11-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Sent donation to a GREAT group last night and volunteered for future work if needed in the Midwest. Keep up the good work folks!

42BBQ
11-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Okay Guys, we need a pallet of charcoal hauled from Mechanicsburg Pa to Neptune or Brick NJ.

Can anyone help?

Jeff, I'm planning on renting a small Uhaul trailer for Thursday, heading to Neptune, NJ. currently in process of contacting OBR to see what is needed. If you don't have someone to haul it by then we can take it I think. What are dimensions and weight of a full pallet?

pwa
11-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Can't Volunteer but Funds were sent. Keep up all the GREAT work!!

Jeff Hughes
11-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Jeff, I'm planning on renting a small Uhaul trailer for Thursday, heading to Neptune, NJ. currently in process of contacting OBR to see what is needed. If you don't have someone to haul it by then we can take it I think. What are dimensions and weight of a full pallet?

Cool, but make sure you are in touch, Neptune may move before thursday

Jeff Hughes
11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Hoboken, staffed mostly by Brethren, rocked 3000 meals today, bring our total to 10500 for the day...

42BBQ
11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Cool, but make sure you are in touch, Neptune may move before thursday

I'm awaiting an email from OBR right now. They made initial contact and said they'll plug me in after their ops meeting tonight. Thanks for the heads up. Good work Brethren.

QansasjayhawQ
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
"Day 3 results from OBR just published. Nearly 24,000 hot meals served in only three days so far and a lot more work planned for the coming days.

Thanks to all my friends that have may donations to help OBR do what they do. For those of you that haven't, please consider helping them out. 100% of all donations go to the cause and donations are tax deductible."

Thanks, Brian Polak for sending this along!

http://www.operationbbqrelief.org/donate

"If you can't feed 100 people, feed just one" -- Mother Theresa

42BBQ
11-05-2012, 08:04 AM
For those who don't know the back story, a bump, and also inspiration read this: http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/all-we-can-eat/post/smoke-signals-operation-bbq-relief/2012/03/12/gIQAEc597R_blog.html

QansasjayhawQ
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
For those who don't know the back story, a bump, and also inspiration read this: http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/all-we-can-eat/post/smoke-signals-operation-bbq-relief/2012/03/12/gIQAEc597R_blog.html
That's a good article.

Just a reminder that you can give any amount, no matter how small, at the web site or on the facebook page:

http://www.operationbbqrelief.org

http://www.facebook.com/OperationBBQRelief

tasterner
11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Donation and best wishes sent.

BobM
11-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Donation sent, great job guys!

Bob

Marrs
11-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Donation Sent.
Thank you for coming to help with Sandy! :clap2:
-jason

Garyclaw
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Just wondering how you guys are doin up there.

Bbq Bubba
11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Lockharts BBQ raised $300 Saturday at our rib cook-off and donated $100 more to Operation BBQ Relief.
Wish i could be out there with my brothers cooking and assisting but will keep raising funds to help with the relief efforts from home.

eggzlot
11-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Got an update - they shifted out of hoboken and lower manhattan. Set ups now in Brick, NJ, and 2 locations in Brooklyn, one at Coney Island and the other closer to Manhattan on Bushwick avenue. Please continue with the support, they are doing a great job!