PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge placement on UDS smoker

Sm0keD0g
10-29-2012, 09:15 PM
I smoked my first brisket on my UDS this past weekend at what I thought was 260 for 10 hours. The brisket weighed 10 3/4 lbs . Bark was tough as real bark but, inside was not too bad. The flat was a little dry. I have my gauge about 1 1/4" below the grill. I'm pretty sure it's too low for an accurate reading. Any suggestions as to where the best spot for it is?

Sean "Puffy" Coals
10-29-2012, 09:26 PM
I'd move it up at least an inch. You want that puppy as close to the grate as possible.

How long is the probe on yours? I believe mine are 12"- you want to also go as far into the drum as possible with the probe as drums tend to be hotter in the center. If your probe is only an inch or two, you're not getting a reading of what temp you're actually cooking at.

yakdung
10-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I do not run an analog dial gauge on my UDS. I use a digital probe cable thermometer that sits at grate level.

Teamfour
10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
I do not run an analog dial gauge on my UDS. I use a digital probe cable thermometer that sits at grate level.

What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just BS
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
I had no idea my dial gauge was off by 50* until I ponied up the money for a good digital (ET732) gage.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31qWGgCBmUL._AA355_.jpg

swamprb
10-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Go by internal temp of the meats.
Grate temps and pit temp can vary as much as 80* if cooking direct.

AustinKnight
10-29-2012, 09:51 PM
What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third that:becky:

Burk
10-29-2012, 10:25 PM
I've got a cheap 12" dial thermometer set about 1/2" below the grate. You can check them in boiling water if you think it's off. I used to worry about getting the temps dialed in exactly, but anymore I get it to stabilize within 10-15 degrees of where I want it and cook till it's done.

Johnny_Crunch
10-30-2012, 08:36 AM
I would leave it alone. If you have a digital probe type meat thermo set It up in the center and compare the 2. Once you have an idea where the center is vs the outer edge you will be able to set it using the outside thermo now knowing the variance. I would not over think it.

CustomBBQ
10-30-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm with Johnny Crunch, don't overthink it. I have a uds that sports a brinkman thermometer right off a grill at the scrap yard. It works well, but I know that the center will be at least 50 degrees hotter, I tested the difference with a seperate oven thermometer against the mounted one. So, I guess I just prefer reading my outside guage and adding X (the difference). Do whatever your more comfortable with.

Peace

Bludawg
10-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Unless the stem on your thermo is long enough to reach the center of the UDS your gauge temp will be 40-50 deg lower on the gauge than in the center of the drum over the basket.I have 1 rack in mine and my gauge is centered between the top of the basket and the grate.

buentellobbq
10-30-2012, 10:15 AM
i have my gauge between my two racks just to make sure im not too hot, but i go by internal food temp to know when its ready

Sean "Puffy" Coals
10-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Unless the stem on your thermo is long enough to reach the center of the UDS your gauge temp will be 40-50 deg lower on the gauge than in the center of the drum over the basket.I have 1 rack in mine and my gauge is centered between the top of the basket and the grate.

Exactly! That's why I went with the 12" probes- they reach to the center of the drum. I also use a heavy steel diffuser plate, which reduces the variation from the center to the outer wall.

swamprb
10-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Mine are all @ 1/2" below the cook grate.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/Ugly%20Drum%20Smoker/IMG_0535_1.jpg

But since I cook direct it doesn't really mean much to me. I keep it in the 250* range but use internal probes for the meats. I have thermos in the drum lids as well.

It would be more accurate if I had a heat diverter, but thats defeating the purpose of the drum flavor I desire.